Hayes to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Hayes to PIT

Post by KG »

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... m-st-louis

In case anyone didn't see this posted in the draft thread.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Hayes to PIT

Post by DelPen »

Tells me one of two things. 1) Eller is staying and no one under 30 will be considered as a center to start the season no matter how well they do at camp, same as last year with Carter and Acciari, but Ponomorov is ready but he has zero chance now. Or 2) there’s a legit deal in place for Eller for a pick and this replaces him on the 3rd line.

In any case Hayes is a better center than Acciari, who’s better suited as a wing, and better than Carter. Debatable if he’s better than Eller but they are both in the area where they are much better than typical 4th line centers but also need another solid bottom 6 center to spread out minutes.

It’s not a bad move but this really kills a lot of the current cap space when you fill in the roster with some of younger guys and take Nieto off LTIR even with only carrying 22 players.

The biggest issue to end the season and really all of last year are still the same, Graves is a giant sucking hole to the cap and Smith should be moved because he doesn’t fit into the top 6 (or Rakell or even both to get someone different). And Hayes makes pretty much the same as Carter did. And takes up a spot for a younger player or a rotation of them between Ponomarev, Poulin and Gruden who all should be on the team with Puustinen and Pulujarvi.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I am in~ he is tall. Dubas must not have shared with Sullivan.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

IDK. More of the same?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

He is C, but played RW last year for STL? He has some edge to his game, a bit more physical than some others on our roster. Too bad he is another lefty, I hoped he is RHD.

Lets see what will happen in next days, Eller gone, Acciari gone?
But if nothing changes down the middle and we blocked Ponomarev or Poulin getting the spot, I will be pissed!
Last edited by Pens4Life on Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hayes is strong on faceoffs won 57% of his draws last season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:01 pm He is C, but played RW last year for STL? He has some edge to his game, a bit more physical than some others on our roster. Too bad he is another lefty, I hoped he is RHD.

Lets see what will happen in next days, Eller gone, Acciari gone?
But if nothing changes down the middle and we blocked Ponomarev or Poulin getting the spot, I will be pissed!
He lined up as center for 70 games, less than 10 as a wing. He’s a center.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Blues don’t project to be a playoff team next season. Should be a solid 2nd round pick in a deep draft. Not sure why the Blues would make this trade.
Last edited by KG on Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

KG wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:44 pm Blues don’t project to be a playoff team next season. Should be a solid 2nd round pick in a deep draft. Not sure why the Blues skins make this trade.
If you read Armstrong's quotes about acquiring and getting rid of Hayes.... yikes.

"But when you put it on down on paper, it wasn't a shining moment for myself."
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

So.. this is 3 years ago Carter coming back, in essence?

Not ideal, but I hope there are some more moves coming. Looking at you Jarry, Graves and Smith.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:32 pm So.. this is 3 years ago Carter coming back, in essence?

Not ideal, but I hope there are some more moves coming. Looking at you Jarry, Graves, Smith, and Sullivan.
Fixed it for you.