Game 27 vs Coyotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Game 27 vs Coyotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Wow, wow, wow! :fist: Nobody should be planning a parade, but last night's game was a real break-out of good things.
  • PP gets out from behind the 8-ball thanks to Jake!
  • Carter with the SHG and PPG! Thank you to whoever spiked his Geritol? :lol: Please do it again. :wink:
  • Puustinen looked pretty good. :thumb:
  • Jake with the ENG - spectacular effort and drive to the net. He was on fire last night.
DeHaven162

Re: Game 27 vs Coyotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by DeHaven162 »

Agreed on Puustinen, looks quick, great shot, and hasn't been shy with bumping some bodies. I'd be okay with seeing Gruden get a little more rope. Looks like he has some good wheels, solid PKer, and not afraid to finish a check. Hopefully the staff will allow these guys to actually take hold of their opportunities that Dubas talked about.

Zohorna seems to have reverted back to the old Zohorna we knew...think I've seen enough there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

They beat a team the SHOULD beat. Let's see how they respond moving forward.

:)

EDIT: I should add that hopefully breaking the damn on the powerplay will take a weight off and let this team relax and play to their strengths now. I have to think that dry spell was causing ripple effects throughout team play.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:51 am Agreed on Puustinen, looks quick, great shot, and hasn't been shy with bumping some bodies. I'd be okay with seeing Gruden get a little more rope. Looks like he has some good wheels, solid PKer, and not afraid to finish a check. Hopefully the staff will allow these guys to actually take hold of their opportunities that Dubas talked about.

Zohorna seems to have reverted back to the old Zohorna we knew...think I've seen enough there.
I was going to post something to this effect. The key for Puustinen is for his play not to drop off after the extra energy of the callup wears off. See Zohorna. I think Gruden is what he is, at best maybe a 4th liner but more likely a 13th forward or first callup for a bottom six role. Everyone on this board was all horned up for WBS to come up and play, everyone wanted regular playing time for Zohorna and Nylander well now you see maybe why they are not NHL regulars.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Jimmerson finally wins a game. Plan the Stanley Cup parade.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Looks to me like we just need to get three days off between each game and maybe longer period breaks. Guess we will see how the no time off and the back to back works tonight.
Empty Sweater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Empty Sweater »

Goaltending has been very good lately. Jarry made some key saves in the 2nd period. Jeff deserved the helmet.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

yinzer69 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:25 pm
DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:51 am Agreed on Puustinen, looks quick, great shot, and hasn't been shy with bumping some bodies. I'd be okay with seeing Gruden get a little more rope. Looks like he has some good wheels, solid PKer, and not afraid to finish a check. Hopefully the staff will allow these guys to actually take hold of their opportunities that Dubas talked about.

I was going to post something to this effect. The key for Puustinen is for his play not to drop off after the extra energy of the callup wears off. See Zohorna. I think Gruden is what he is, at best maybe a 4th liner but more likely a 13th forward or first callup for a bottom six role. Everyone on this board was all horned up for WBS to come up and play, everyone wanted regular playing time for Zohorna and Nylander well now you see maybe why they are not NHL regulars.
We've got a bucket full of not-quite players.

Puustinen adds something to the team. Like DOC before Pens permanently promoted him. The rest are a dime a dozen.

I do see room at the inn for Zohorna, he's still an upgrade over Nieto.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:58 pm

Puustinen adds something to the team. Like DOC before Pens permanently promoted him. The rest are a dime a dozen.

Agreed on all of this. If guys do eventually drop off and lose that initial callup energy, keep the rotation going. Dubas said he wasn't going to be afraid to use waivers prior to the season, so lets keep seeing it. When one guy slows, call up the next batch of WBS tweeners to give a jolt. I'm just sick of seeing Zohorna and Nylander, think both ships have sailed. Hopefully Poulin can get healthy from whatever is ailing him, and he can get a opportunity.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:39 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:58 pm

Agreed on all of this. If guys do eventually drop off and lose that initial callup energy, keep the rotation going. Dubas said he wasn't going to be afraid to use waivers prior to the season, so lets keep seeing it. When one guy slows, call up the next batch of WBS tweeners to give a jolt. I'm just sick of seeing Zohorna and Nylander, think both ships have sailed. Hopefully Poulin can get healthy from whatever is ailing him, and he can get a opportunity.
Poulin, yes, I forgot about him because of the injury troubles. Be nice to see what we've got there at the big club. Give Pitlick a whirl too. Maybe Puljujärvi if he stays.

Harkins, Johnstone, Nieto, Nylander you can keep down in Wilkes-Barre. Zohorna is a #13 or 14.