Matt Murray~ concussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Matt Murray~ concussion

Post by penny lane »

Matt Murray has been diagnosed with a concussion.
Coach Sullivan will address after their practice.

Jason Mackey wrote Murray wasn't in practice for 30mins and was wondering...
:cry:

Edit-
Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins
3m3 minutes ago

Coach Sullivan on Murray: “The injury happened in practice yesterday. There is currently no timetable on his return.”
Last edited by penny lane on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Post by Crashguy66 »

This is gonna be very interesting.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Whatever. Might give Jarry his chance. Not like Murray was doing the team any favours. Nor was the team doing him any.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Call up Jarry and let's move on. Murray might not have been terrible this far, but he's been far from stellar.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Inkio »

Murray is too injury prone. Can't rely on him. Need to give someone else a shot. Hope Jarry is ready.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Any truth this was caused by the repeated head motion of looking behind him in the net at all those pucks the last two games?
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Crashguy66 »

Isn't Jarry injured as well?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I wondered about him after that first or second goal when he was run over
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

DelPen wrote:Any truth this was caused by the repeated head motion of looking behind him in the net at all those pucks the last two games?
The whiplash effect certainly could have contributed LOL
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

We will be forever grateful to Matt Murray for his major role in winning 2 Stanley Cups, but it's looking like the future of Penguin goaltending is going to be Tristan Jarry or bust.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I was thinking he strained his big toe muscle on the wraparound goal in the last game.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by maudineormsby »

Crashguy66 wrote:Isn't Jarry injured as well?
I think he was just reassigned to WBS
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

This should help keep the next contract to a lower $.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

DelPen wrote:Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?
Let's trade for Niemi.

He's a veteran.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.
I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

DelPen wrote:Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?
:thumb:
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Not anything like what Murray needed starting out this year. Don't know if Jarry is really ready to be #1 but he'll need to be for a while. From there...who knows? Relying on Murray being and staying healthy is a true concern right now.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Crashguy66 »

Jarry was apparently injured in the last preseason game and was designed "non-roster injured" and sent to W. B. He was listed as day to day on September 30.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

A time to need team defense. Bring them in line because they have no other choice!
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LimerickPensFan »

blurryhaze312 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...
From DK's site:
The starting goaltender has been diagnosed with a concussion after suffering the injury in practice a day earlier, Mike Sullivan confirmed. The coach would not elaborate on exactly how Murray was injured but said that the two-time Stanley Cup-winning goalie reported his symptoms following Monday’s 90-minute practice at PPG Paints Arena. He added that there is no timeframe for his return.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

LimerickPensFan wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:

From DK's site:
The starting goaltender has been diagnosed with a concussion after suffering the injury in practice a day earlier, Mike Sullivan confirmed. The coach would not elaborate on exactly how Murray was injured but said that the two-time Stanley Cup-winning goalie reported his symptoms following Monday’s 90-minute practice at PPG Paints Arena. He added that there is no timeframe for his return.
Yea, but that doesn't mean it's truly the case, right? Didn't we go through that with Sid or someone else at some point? They thought the cause was one point in time, but in fact it was at another? I could be dead wrong on that, but it sounds familiar for some reason.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LimerickPensFan »

blurryhaze312 wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:

From DK's site:
Yea, but that doesn't mean it's truly the case, right? Didn't we go through that with Sid or someone else at some point? They thought the cause was one point in time, but in fact it was at another? I could be dead wrong on that, but it sounds familiar for some reason.
I guess that's possible. I'm just reporting what a reporter says the team is saying.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Inkio wrote:Murray is too injury prone. Can't rely on him. Need to give someone else a shot. Hope Jarry is ready.
Well, Fleury might be available. :twisted: He's not starting on Thursday. So if McPhee agrees to keep 50% of Fleury's salary and ... :lol: :lol: :lol: