Vegas get team starting 17-18 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Vegas get team starting 17-18 season

Post by jwest21 »

I thought I heard Bettman say this was the first of 3 new teams over 3 years, but it was live and I can't go back
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Vegas get team starting 17-18 season

Post by jwest21 »

he said the league is deferring on Quebec due to the weak Canadian dollar. Limiting new teams to "one at this juncture"
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Pierre LeBrun‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Vegas will be given same odds in draft lottery as ``the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.''
CT Mechanic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CT Mechanic »

I'm wearing my Crosby jersey all over town today (I live in Vegas now) to show support for hockey in Vegas. I'm on my way to go get my picture taken with the Cup!

CTM
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

ville5 wrote:Pierre LeBrun‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Vegas will be given same odds in draft lottery as ``the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.''
This is kind of BS. They are already going to have a better team than half the league and then they are slotted in at the #3 spot in the lottery and pick third in each additional round. But each owner just got $16 million for expansion. I doubt Edmonton or Phoenix will care if they have to pick one spot later to ruin another prospect as long as they get that cash.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

DelPen wrote:
This is kind of BS. They are already going to have a better team than half the league and then they are slotted in at the #3 spot in the lottery and pick third in each additional round. But each owner just got $16 million for expansion. I doubt Edmonton or Phoenix will care if they have to pick one spot later to ruin another prospect as long as they get that cash.
They won't necessarily select third. Their odds of getting #1 overall are the same odds as the 3rd worst record (11.5%). Their ball could get drawn at 1st or all the way to 14th.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

This has them taking Cole from the Pens. Also the Caps getting rid of Orpik.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/proje ... sion-team/
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Jim wrote:This has them taking Cole from the Pens. Also the Caps getting rid of Orpik.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/proje ... sion-team/
It looks like a roster the Blue Jackets would cobble together.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

So after following that link and also looking it up on the NHL site, for anyone else who (like me) had been confused, players do have the option to waive no-movement clauses for the expansion draft. I'd heard it reported both ways and heard some other talk-show hosts say they flat didn't know, even after the announcement.

Anyway, from the NHL site (the typo is theirs):

"All players who have currently effective and continuing 'No Movement' clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion- ... -281010592
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

DelPen wrote:
and it looks like the NHL has learned (partially) it's lesson with the expansion franchises of the late 90's. it took waaaaay too long for any of them to be competitive and not a single one has even made a conference final in 16+ years. the Preds getting to the Western Conference semis this year is the closest any of them have gotten. if you want a franchise to last, especially in a "non traditional market" you need to be having success much faster than that.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

shoeshine boy wrote:
DelPen wrote:
and it looks like the NHL has learned (partially) it's lesson with the expansion franchises of the late 90's. it took waaaaay too long for any of them to be competitive and not a single one has even made a conference final in 16+ years. the Preds getting to the Western Conference semis this year is the closest any of them have gotten. if you want a franchise to last, especially in a "non traditional market" you need to be having success much faster than that.

With a 500m fee they should be able to field a decent line up. I am still wondering on Quebec?? They are were put off due to the weak dollar and their geographical location. If the dollar strengthens their location is still the same. It would take a franchise to re-locate in order for that team to get in the league. I still think the Hurricans or the Panthers have a better chance at relocating to Quebec, than Quebec getting a expansion team.
LostPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by LostPenguin »

What if a team has two goalies with no movement clauses? Can that team then protect both?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

no name wrote:

With a 500m fee they should be able to field a decent line up. I am still wondering on Quebec?? They are were put off due to the weak dollar and their geographical location. If the dollar strengthens their location is still the same. It would take a franchise to re-locate in order for that team to get in the league. I still think the Hurricans or the Panthers have a better chance at relocating to Quebec, than Quebec getting a expansion team.
why would it take re-location? if the NHL doesn't want Quebec to have a team they wouldn't allow relocation either. eventually the league wants 32 teams. if the CAD improves Quebec will happen. if it doesn't then Seattle is the best bet at which point Nashville could move over to the East which I would love because then I'd maybe get more than 1 Pens game per season that's driveable......
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shoeshine boy wrote:
no name wrote:

why would it take re-location? if the NHL doesn't want Quebec to have a team they wouldn't allow relocation either. eventually the league wants 32 teams. if the CAD improves Quebec will happen. if it doesn't then Seattle is the best bet at which point Nashville could move over to the East which I would love because then I'd maybe get more than 1 Pens game per season that's driveable......
Eastern conference already has 16 teams and they are all in the Eastern timezone. Nashville is central time, they are never moving east unless somehow we see two existing teams move, maybe Carolina and Miami, where one goes to Quebec and the other goes further west AND another team further west gets the new expansion team forcing a move East.

I do hope we eventually get to 4 divisions of 4 in each conference, division winners are seeded 1-4 and then the next 4 best teams are seeded 5-8 regardless of division.

Western Conf:
Anaheim, LA, Vegas, San Jose
Chicago, Minnesota, St. Louis, Winnipeg
Phoenix, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville
Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

Eastern-Conf:
Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Washington
Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit, Buffalo
Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Boston
Rags, Isles, Flyers, Devils
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I do hope we eventually get to 4 divisions of 4 in each conference, division winners are seeded 1-4 and then the next 4 best teams are seeded 5-8 regardless of division.

Western Conf:

Eastern-Conf:
As much as I like this idea, I see them going with the 4 conference set up. Each div. will be its own conference. Playoffs will produce 4 conference champs, they will then be seeded by points. So you could have a NY Rangers vs Boston cup final or a LA vs Chicago cup final.

I am truly torn as to which playoff format is better. There is nothing like a old Patrick division playoff series, but your (DelPen) format does position the best teams to meet in the conference finals.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

no name wrote:

Western Conf:

Eastern-Conf:
As much as I like this idea, I see them going with the 4 conference set up. Each div. will be its own conference. Playoffs will produce 4 conference champs, they will then be seeded by points. So you could have a NY Rangers vs Boston cup final or a LA vs Chicago cup final.

I am truly torn as to which playoff format is better. There is nothing like a old Patrick division playoff series, but your (DelPen) format does position the best teams to meet in the conference finals.
I'm not really sure where you're coming from, because I can honestly say we will never see a Stanley Cup final with two eastern nor two western teams against each other. That totally defeats the marketing that drives professional sports these days.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Sigwolf wrote:
no name wrote:

Western Conf:

Eastern-Conf:

I'm not really sure where you're coming from, because I can honestly say we will never see a Stanley Cup final with two eastern nor two western teams against each other. That totally defeats the marketing that drives professional sports these days.
I really think they will get rid of east and west confrences. and you will have 4 divisions that are their own conference. The top 4 teams out of their confrences are seeded by points and play for the cup. This format forces less travels since you play your 7 division opponents 5 times. and everyone else in the league 2 times. Less travel and more games played in your time zones. This also ensures your first 2 rounds of playoffs are division rivals keeping down travel and promotes better TV ratings for those games. owners want each team to visit their buildings so everyone can see the top players.

The league adopted this set up before the NHLPA over ruled it and that is how we got 16 teams in the eastern C and 14 in the Western C. Once we get to 32 teams I really believe this is how it will be. 4- 8 team confrences. each team that comes out of their conference during the playoffs are reseeded 1-4 point wise, and they goto the cup. This will give the possibility of a metro team and a alantic team playing for the cup or a central team or a west coast team.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I read an article that the Vegas team might be named the Red Hawks, Desert Hawks or the Night hawks. The night hawks seem to be the favorite since it has the "Knight" part to it. He can't name the team Knights since the there is a Canadian team with that name. London Knights and the naming rights would cost lot to try and buy.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

no name wrote:... Night hawks.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl ... l-nickname" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nighthawks is possible, but he says the other "hawk" names are out. If they do some kind of logo based on the Air Force F-117, it could be interesting.

A while ago the Vegas newspaper had a naming contest, and the Outlaws won. 2nd place was the Scorpions, which would be my vote. Also on the poll was the Jokers, which I thought might be good, but then there would be the whole joke aspect that people would make fun of.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

How about the Las Vegas Guardians. and then you can have a black knight as the logo???

Sounds like a cool name, and Foley gets his Knights.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I have read that the name Las Vegas Desert Knights has been registered as a domain name, and somehow they are connecting it to Foley. Seems like the front runner.

Sounds like a good name to me.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

They just signed the founder of General Fanager to as Hockey Operations analyst. generalfanager.com is also shutting down due to this.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/vegas-nhl-fran ... r-1.587383
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Maybe they will be called the Nevada Silver Knights. Nevada is nicked named the Silver State, only makes sense to incoprerate that into the name. Its not like there is are other cities in Nevada that will be looking for a hockey team. Look at what Arizona did with they Yotes. Call them Arizona so the whole state can root for them.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I had the idea that the Penguins moved back to the yellowish gold so Vegas could use the Vegas gold in their color scheme. But I thought they would go with the Silver knights? But as someone pointed out to me they wouldn't do that since LA uses silver in its colors. Then i thought desert knights... even that one would of been cool, cause it can be a play on Desert Nights.

I like how they just went with Vegas instead of Las Vegas, makes that V in the helmet have more meaning.