Smart watches

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Smart watches

Post by Defence21 »

I did a quick search and only saw a few passing posts in the Amazing Deals thread. I'm considering a smart watch, specifically the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2. I have an S4 phone and like the way Samsung products work with one another. On the other hand, I'm concerned about the size of the watch and how it will feel on my wrist compared to a normal watch. Of course, every brick and mortar store I've been to has displays that are locked and cannot be tried on for size and comfort. And, of course, the salespeople are worried about one thing: a sale. So you ask them how it feels and the response is: "I love it, it's great. Did you consider the Samsung Galaxy Gear S? It's bigger, but so much better." Meanwhile, the Gear S might look big as my belt buckle, let alone my watch.

I'm most interested in something I can wear as a watch. This won't just be for exercise, but for daily wear, so it has to be nice enough to wear with khakis, a shirt and a tie. On the other hand, I don't want something that is too fancy, as I also would like to wear it when I run so I can track my distance, calories burned, etc. without carrying my phone in my pocket. I'm in the $75 - $100 price range, and while I realize the Gear 2 is more than that, I also have a factory refurb. lined up for the low end of my price range that comes with a warranty and no hassle returns.

What I want:
- Fitness tracker
- Watch
- Some bluetooth functionality
- Internal storage space for music would be great, but not a must

Is the Gear 2 my best bet? What about Pebble? I've heard good about them, but have also heard they're low functioning. Any other brands I should look for? What about the Gear 2 size and feel? I'm not a big guy. Is this watch going to feel too big for me? Is it comfortable? Any help, thoughts, suggestions, reviews would be great!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Smart watches

Post by Defence21 »

crickets
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Stop trying to make smart watches happen.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Pitt87 wrote:Stop trying to make smart watches happen.
Oh, ok.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I'd look for something Android Wear compatible so they throws out most of the Gear watches. Moto 360 looks close to a real watch, so does a Pebble Time. But if you really want to stick with Samsung the gear S2 look like an actual watch and can come in 3G.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Anyone have an Apple Watch? If so, how is the heart rate tracking? I currently have a Fitbit Charge HR which is fine for walking around but the HR monitoring does not seem accurate when working out.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I wonder if there's a certain way to clean an HR? Mine used to look accurate but now it's way too low.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I use Cetaphil for the strap but just wipe the sensor down with a dry towel.

It drives me nuts how inaccurate the HR sensor is during strenuous activity even when putting it in activity mode.