NHL = Garage League

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
nicky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

NHL = Garage League

Post by nicky »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: NHL = Garage League

Post by Crankshaft »

sweet vine, bro
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Look kids Big Ben, parliament
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

I don't know whether to cry or wind my watch. Seriously.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

That was a holding call.....three different times.

In the St. Louis/Detroit game yesterday, Jackman actually suplexed a Wing in front of the net. It's getting ridiculous. The playoffs are going to be so bad.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals between Pittsburgh and Chicago was on yesterday. We look back fondly on those days, but the amount of interference being let go was ridiculous. Players were hooking each other so badly they were practically water skiing. The difference was the total lack of defense being played and the goaltenders' equipment made then look like skinny skeletons in comparison to today.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

The ref didn't see it...

:face:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I recall seeing that live...that was definitely a C&G era flashback...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I am having a hard time watching this crap.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I posted that vine in the GDT... here's two more that I found from the same game. Almost every single game has examples of this anymore.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

no name wrote:I am having a hard time watching this crap.
I have been a hockey fan since 1985 and a STH since 1987, I can honestly say that I've watched the least amount of hockey this year since I started back then and I have gone to the least amount of games too.

The NHL has lost me as a fan....and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IMFC »

Realist wrote:
I have been a hockey fan since 1985 and a STH since 1987, I can honestly say that I've watched the least amount of hockey this year since I started back then and I have gone to the least amount of games too.

Almost every online hockey article or facebook post I've seen is littered with the same feelings. Social media might actually be the thing that turns it, because there is no way they can stand that much public pressure on their business. All these millionaires are totally paranoid about being constantly ridiculed in public. It's the only leverage fans have and they should use it. (The only season ticket holders owners care about are corporate, and those people absolutely don't care what they watching because they are not really watching it anyway.)
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

The NHL won't change until there's a major shake-up at the BOG level. It is a classic old boy's club.

IMO, the 'new NHL' only happened because the damage caused by the 04-05 lockout was an existential threat to the league. They know the game the fans want. They just don't care.

I tend not to care either. When I start to care, I take a step back so I can enjoy it for what it is. To do otherwise would result in madness.

Perhaps things will change when Jacobs and Snider are dead. I kind of doubt it though.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

In a season ticket group,
last year we had someone leave, this year is the last year for 2 more in the group.
With a new baby at home, I tried to unload tonight's game to everyone I know - nobody bit.

Who wants to pay money to watch the crap in those vine videos? I can see **** tackle defense for free at the local rink watching C league adult hockey.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

IMFC wrote:
Realist wrote:

Almost every online hockey article or facebook post I've seen is littered with the same feelings. Social media might actually be the thing that turns it, because there is no way they can stand that much public pressure on their business. All these millionaires are totally paranoid about being constantly ridiculed in public. It's the only leverage fans have and they should use it. (The only season ticket holders owners care about are corporate, and those people absolutely don't care what they watching because they are not really watching it anyway.)

I used to be a die hard NHL fan, i could watch any 2 teams play and enjoy it. I would watch all the recap shows and read the moring articles. Now i only watch the pens and chat on this board. I hope the NHL does something soon, where i used to be watching hockey i now spend that time with the wife and she isn't to keen on talking to me when a re-run of Dr Quinn Medicine woman is on.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

I'm wondering if it's considered a garage league because the pens are struggling or if it's actually a garage league.

I haven't really decided yet.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

pens2005 wrote:I'm wondering if it's considered a garage league because the pens are struggling or if it's actually a garage league.

Perhaps this will help:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/67663
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I had been a STH since 2007. Cancelled prior to the beginning of this season.

I have been to a grand total of one game this year - a 4-0 loss to Nashville. I thought I would miss it. I have not. It's just not entertaining.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

So I have a question. If all you guys hate the NHL, why not find something else to do besides posting on a hockey message board? You are allowed to do something else more enjoyable than watch and then complain of a horrible product. I know when I don't like something that I don't HAVE to do, I stop doing it.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

offsides wrote:So I have a question. If all you guys hate the NHL, why not find something else to do besides posting on a hockey message board? You are allowed to do something else more enjoyable than watch and then complain of a horrible product. I know when I don't like something that I don't HAVE to do, I stop doing it.
Hard to give up completely on something you have loved for 40+ years. Always holding out hope it will turn around. Hope that helps.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Humperdink wrote:
offsides wrote:So I have a question. If all you guys hate the NHL, why not find something else to do besides posting on a hockey message board? You are allowed to do something else more enjoyable than watch and then complain of a horrible product. I know when I don't like something that I don't HAVE to do, I stop doing it.
Hard to give up completely on something you have loved for 40+ years. Always holding out hope it will turn around. Hope that helps.

Hard to leave when you are so emotionally involved in your home team you follow every year, year in year out. SO yeah its hard to leave i still love the Pens, i still love hockey. I am just not a fan of the NHL anymore. I can still follow the team and not spend a single cent on the NHL. OK sure in some way my viewership goes to the them. (someone will throw that in my face.) But not pulling a cent out fo my pocket is the most i can do. If as many fans would do the same, things might change. I used to buy tickets onlne when i had a few dollars sitting around the house, not anymore.

Lets see if the payroll drops again next year if they hide behind the weak canadian dollar or if they realize fans are not spending their money on hockey as much as they used to.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Think of it this way: When I watched on ESPN/ESPN2 in the 90's, I couldn't wait to watch Denis Savard, Pat Lafontaine, Alex Mogilny, Alex Kovalev, Pavel Bure, Phil Housley, Paul Coffey, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Ray Bourque, etc.

Take us to present day...who do you look "forward" to watching on TV or in person? Sid, Ovie maybe? Who else? No one else really. And, in this "dead puck" era, who cares about watching Ovie and Sid if they can't do their thing anyway?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I pay money to go see players in person when they come to town and it's a list much longer than just Sid and Ovechkin...and to think that there's more molasses on the rink then there was in the mid-late 90's is a little odd...it was this, plus more stick fouls (well, non-fouls)...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

nicky wrote:
And some people wonder what's wrong with Sid. He's probably tired being held up by the NHL as the star(savior) of the league while treatment like this (approved by the NHL because it isn't stopped) continues without end.

I'll admit I haven't watched a full game at all this year (didn't go to one but I also don't live near Pittsburgh). I've had a couple games on now and then but usually turn it off because it isn't really exciting to watch (it has raised a question in me to wonder if the game has changed more of if I have). Anyway, I follow the news stories and probably get more information here and the trib than anywhere. I still root for them, I want them to win, but I'd say a Penguins/NHL fan is much less of my identity than it used to be. I'll go to college games, I've taken my kids ice skating and played roller hockey with them. I think it would be natural for me to want to sit and watch an NHL game with them -- just, well, I'm not doing that.

I'll also say, however, that the roots of this go back to the last lockout -- I've never come back as a fan to the level I used to be before that.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

pens2005 wrote:I'm wondering if it's considered a garage league because the pens are struggling or if it's actually a garage league.

Actually a grauge league to me, i used to watch any 2 teams play and could enjoy it. Give me 2 big time teams and i had a bowl of popcorn ready for the opening faceoff. I sat to watch Detroit and NYR play. Thought wow this will be a great game.... No pace, players climbing on each other. Sat to watch Vancouver vs Sharks.... same thing. I have the center ice package, but i won't have it next year guarenteed. Barely use it at all any more.