ESPN gets the US rights to the 2016 World Cup

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

ESPN gets the US rights to the 2016 World Cup

Post by Kovy27 »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7565 ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sportsnet/TVA get the Canadian rights.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7565 ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...ESPN gets the rights. I'm sure NBC is not happy about it. Interested in seeing how ESPN does with hockey again. Bucci and Melrose should be a huge part of this.

Bettman said if it goes well, ESPN might be involved with the regular season, as well.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: ESPN gets the US rights to the 2016 World Cup

Post by dodint »

Ewww.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

On a non-American note...I'm very surprised TSN allowed themselves to be outbid for this...

ESPN better find some announcers for hockey...Buccigross calls games during the Frozen Four with Melrose and they're both bad at those respective things...hopefully they can use TSN guys like Chris Cuthbert or Gord Miller, but I'm guessing they can't because of NBC...

Perhaps Gary Thorne will take a break from baseball season to do it...Jack Edwards was contracted by ESPN back in the day, might have been the 4th or 5th guy in line, but there's a tie there...so perhaps him...perhaps Steve Levy...perhaps Sean McDonough, though that will be college football season for him...but they have so many college football-capable announcers, they wouldn't miss a beat...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I like Buccigross (though his play-by-play is kinda lacking).

I don't like Melrose at all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Espn cant be worse than what nbc offers.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It can.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

NBC has some decent personalities, but they get drowned out with the constant story lines and rivalry drum ups and other marketing garbage.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

dodint wrote:It can.
It will be.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Hope so.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Kovy27 wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7565 ... l:topheads

Sportsnet/TVA get the Canadian rights.

So...ESPN gets the rights. I'm sure NBC is not happy about it. Interested in seeing how ESPN does with hockey again. Bucci and Melrose should be a huge part of this.

Bettman said if it goes well, ESPN might be involved with the regular season, as well.
If Bettman is smart, he will try to do like the NBA has where multiple networks have regular season game and playoff games. More NHL games on tv is a good thing for revenues to the league as awhole

I think a Mike Tirco and Bucci both could be good. Or even John Gruden

Or

wonder what gary thorne and bill clement are up to these day
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Gary Thorne is a pxp guy for the Baltimore Orioles on MASN and Bill Clement is on the Flyers telecast or in studio...
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Did not know what, Tirco will probably be the lead play by play guy

Although i always wanted Gus Johnson (Think he at fox now) to call hockey, he is great at play by play and really knows how to raise his enthusiasm to match the game
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

If Gruden calls a single game I'd tune out of the tournament.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

dodint wrote:If Gruden calls a single game I'd tune out of the tournament.
Can you believe the islanders are playing at the home of the nets? That means there's hockey nets, at the nets home! That's wild! I can't wait!
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I support this only because I want ESPN to get co-rights with NBC for the regular season. More games need to be on national TV.

For example,NBCSN is only showing one game between today and Saturday (Rags/Wings today)

ESPN is showing two NBA games just today...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I support this only because I want ESPN to get co-rights with NBC for the regular season. More games need to be on national TV.

For example,NBCSN is only showing one game between today and Saturday (Rags/Wings today)

NBA brings in more money for ESPN. ESPN has no reason to want NHL games at this point.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

More hockey period would be great. Would be nice to have more options to see the games. I don't even care about seeing the best teams, just as long as you can see a game.

During the afternoon the NHL channel shows the Canadian afternoon show. Which I thought was great, but it turns out to be so focused on the Toronto ML first and foremost, 2nd they focus on all the other canandian teams. Then they might talk of the rest of the NHL if something big is going on.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

skullman80 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I support this only because I want ESPN to get co-rights with NBC for the regular season. More games need to be on national TV.

NBA brings in more money for ESPN. ESPN has no reason to want NHL games at this point.
but when they're not showing basketball and have to fill air time with a billion Sportscenters or a college basketball game no one cares about I think they'd love to have a hockey game on
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Sportscenter and college basketball probably get them better ratings than an NHL game would. I'd love the NHL to have a more widespread TV presence, but the audience just isn't there like it for other sports. If the NHL would make ESPN $$$$ i'm sure they would put them on their network real quick. Right now though they have other things that give them more $$$ than the NHL would.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I'd like it if ESPN could work out a deal where they'd have one or two NHL games a week. Thursday nights are usually pretty dead for them and there's always a good slate of hockey games. Something like a weekly game at 8 or 9 on a Thursday will likely outdraw whatever third rate college game they're airing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

How would it be a bad thing if there were an extra game or two a week on national TV? I don't love ESPN, but some extra exposure for the sport is not a bad thing.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Ill go ask Bucci what he thinks about all this on Twitter. Brb....
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

It wouldn't be a bad thing, I just think ESPN has no interest in doing it since it wouldn't make then any more $$$$$$.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

skullman80 wrote:It wouldn't be a bad thing, I just think ESPN has no interest in doing it since it wouldn't make then any more $$$$$$.
I did a report on ESPN and the sports they covered for a TV class.

The sports that they covered/spent time covering on Sportscenter (NFL, MLB, NBA) had higher ratings than sports they didn't cover (aka the NHL). Obviously, it's not exactly a chicken/egg deal, but I'll be dawned if there isn't some sort of correlation between sports ESPN covers and the ratings that sport gets.

Hockey had slightly higher ratings overall when it was controlled by ESPN than any other network. Perhaps, just perhaps, the NHL could get better ratings (and therefore, more money) with and for ESPN.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

MRandall25 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:It wouldn't be a bad thing, I just think ESPN has no interest in doing it since it wouldn't make then any more $$$$$$.
I did a report on ESPN and the sports they covered for a TV class.

The sports that they covered/spent time covering on Sportscenter (NFL, MLB, NBA) had higher ratings than sports they didn't cover (aka the NHL). Obviously, it's not exactly a chicken/egg deal, but I'll be dawned if there isn't some sort of correlation between sports ESPN covers and the ratings that sport gets.

Hockey had slightly higher ratings overall when it was controlled by ESPN than any other network. Perhaps, just perhaps, the NHL could get better ratings (and therefore, more money) with and for ESPN.
I think ESPN and specifically Sportscenter drive ratings because it's the most watched sports show/network

They need to get someone better than Melrose though. He's not the most watcher friendly