Referee Tim Peel suspended...and something's rotten

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Referee Tim Peel suspended...and something's rotten

Post by cma3585 »

So everyone knows that Tim Peel is supposedly a terrible ref who's had well over his fair share of terrible calls. He had a sit down with Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo Sports/Puck Daddy and just had an honest chat with him about how games go and how calls go, with the guy who was arguably his loudest critic. Evidently the NHL wasn't keen on this and he is now suspended "indefinitely".

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... -wyshynski" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something's rotten in this suspension. No one specifically knows why he was suspended but it's easy to assume it was how open he was about the process of reffing a game which every single NHL fan already knows how things go. He references the Pens game vs the Caps when we were down 4-0 and he handed out a double minor to Ovechkin for the collision with Ehrhoff. He in not specific words says it's a game management call, maintaining he wouldn't have made the call in a 1-1 game.

I'm of the belief that when he was hired, he was told to by the NHL to "manage" the games this way. So he did his job according to the NHL and now he's suspended for giving a tiny glimpse into what an NHL referee's world is like. To me, this is Roger Goodell levels of politics in sports where power and secrecy reign supreme over the sport itself. Someone dare give light to a glimpse of the truth and now they no longer are able to carry on with their livelihoods over what? Something every single NHL fan already knew? For me, this is severely disturbing.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Referee Tim Peel suspended...and something's rotten

Post by Avyran »

... if this is true, then this is absurd and ridiculous. And it really, really strengthens the idea that the NHL is a garage league. :P
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

game management is a part of officiating every single sport at every single level. NHL officials aren't allowed to speak to the media which is why Peel was suspended. move along, nothing to see here.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shoeshine boy wrote:game management is a part of officiating every single sport at every single level. NHL officials aren't allowed to speak to the media which is why Peel was suspended. move along, nothing to see here.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Yeah mikey, as soon as I saw this thread, I knew you'd come in & say something like that. :P

Just because it's protocol doesn't make it right.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

He sat for only one game I read elsewhere.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Game mgmt does not have to include reffing to the score. The lack of consistency that results from this strategy is the biggest flaw in the the nhl's product.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

The refs should only exercise game mgmt when one team is trying to goon it up. At that point the refs should give out misconducts and instigators to put an end to the antics.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The NHL would have to be completely inept in how it's officials actually do their jobs if this was news to them in what Peel said.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Was he suspended because he blew some calls or because he let out an NHL dirty secret that refs are instructed to make phantom calls and non-calls to "manage" games?
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

The latter. He was suspended a game for the interview.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Then the NHL sucks.