CapGeek Permanently Shut Down

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

CapGeek Permanently Shut Down

Post by Mr. Colby »

This sucks!
Effective immediately, Jan. 3, 2015, CapGeek.com has permanently ceased operations. This sudden decision is made with a heavy heart and is due to the personal health of CapGeek.com founder and director Matthew Wuest. While this decision may raise many questions, it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: CapGeek Permanently Shut Down

Post by dodint »

Yeah, bummer.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

dodint wrote:Yeah, bummer.

Capgeek is/was too important to be buried in some other thread
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I would be intersted in working on a CapGeek revival but the project would be well over my head just for myself, especially on the hockey insider side of things.

I say we get a team of LGPers together. I'm sure there's enough software/hockey guys to get everything.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I have none of the technical knowledge, but I could supply a good deal of information...

But I'm under the impression that this site might not be down "permanently" based on a note I received last night...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

mikey287 wrote:I have none of the technical knowledge, but I could supply a good deal of information...

But I'm under the impression that this site might not be down "permanently" based on a note I received last night...
Well yeah, I was thinking about a different site altogether

The CapGeek interface was so nice and easy to use. Would be difficult to replicate
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Beveridge wrote:
dodint wrote:Yeah, bummer.

Capgeek is/was too important to be buried in some other thread
I agree. But if someone wanted to read the discussion already underway about it, I was nice enough to supply a link instead of just writing off what others already contributed.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

... it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries.
I can understand something happening and not being able to continue your work on the site. I do not understand not handing it off to someone else to run. It is almost like a "take my ball and go home" kind of feel. Even if it is life ending situation (stage 3 cancer, etc)... sell the site for $50K and give it to your kids or to charity or something...
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

He probably has a lot going on, you know, trying to stay alive and getting his affairs in order. I don't blame him for solely concentrating on that aspect of his life.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:He probably has a lot going on, you know, trying to stay alive and getting his affairs in order. I don't blame him for solely concentrating on that aspect of his life.
I do agree with that. It is just the wording is very... odd.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Maybe its something less terminal and the guy has aspirations of coming back to it at a later time? Idk
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Or he could just not want to deal with a bunch of media calls, and (IMO) requesting to purchase it seems like a dbag move. "Hey, you're dying. Can I pay you for this thing you own, just in case?"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Man, this just totally spoiled things for me I wanted to find out on my own. *******! ********! ****! ********!
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

mikey287 wrote:I have none of the technical knowledge, but I could supply a good deal of information...

Can you divulge any information?

It's just weird they'd shut down and explicitly state not to contact regarding purchase. I'm wondering if there was some kind of involvement from the league either trying to secure an interest or making a threat.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I'm very bummed it is gone. Maybe, if the owner's health improves, he will bring it back. Perhaps that's why he doesn't want to entertain sales offers. I think he make big bucks on a sale.

http://hockeyjournal.com/2010/26_matthe ... ehind.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

MRandall25 wrote:Or he could just not want to deal with a bunch of media calls, and (IMO) requesting to purchase it seems like a dbag move. "Hey, you're dying. Can I pay you for this thing you own, just in case?"
It's not though. The site has become a mainstay to the sport right now - and that is something very unique. Plus, the ton of money he would make would invariably help with any possible medical bills, or at least set his family up very well should he pass. IMO, it's a wee bit more selfish of him to keep all his hard work to himself when he could in fact take care of his family with it.

Hopefully, all that means nothing and he will recover and share his wonderful work with all of us again in the near future.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Jim wrote: sell the site for $50K and give it to your kids or to charity or something...
That site is worth a hell of a lot more than $50,000. More like millions.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote: sell the site for $50K and give it to your kids or to charity or something...
That site is worth a hell of a lot more than $50,000. More like millions.
I have zero concept of the "value" of websites... the point still holds, but even more so given your idea of the value.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

From the article I posted:
CapGeek.com has exploded since its inception. In July of 2010, the site received more than 3.5 million page views during the NHL's free-agent frenzy.
That's insane, and 4 years ago! I can't recall if he had ads on the site before he took it down, but that kind of page views is big-bucks for ad rotation!
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Honestly I was confused as to why they didn't have an NFL and NBA section either. I think if they included those 2 (and I guess baseball, but since there isn't a cap it would just be player salaries and rosters) it would be disturbingly successful.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Fine American institutions like Football and Baseball probably have something already. Since hockey is Un-American it needed this guy to fill that niche.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Football has overthecap I think...but it took a long time for any comprehensive listing of such things to come about to my knowledge for the NFL...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I'm looking at overthecap right now and it doesn't seem nearly as simple or comprehensive as CapGeek. Like I looked at Peyton's contract and it doesn't have anything about any of his previous contracts, just the current one.

And the UI is crud.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Mr. Colby wrote:

Can you divulge any information?

It's just weird they'd shut down and explicitly state not to contact regarding purchase. I'm wondering if there was some kind of involvement from the league either trying to secure an interest or making a threat.
Is it possible that there's already a deal in place and that capgeek may be transitioning to a new owner?

That would make sense, considering that Matthew would not be interested in purchase inquiries and mikey's comment about the shutdown not being permanent.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Pitts wrote:From the article I posted:
CapGeek.com has exploded since its inception. In July of 2010, the site received more than 3.5 million page views during the NHL's free-agent frenzy.
That's insane, and 4 years ago! I can't recall if he had ads on the site before he took it down, but that kind of page views is big-bucks for ad rotation!
how much revenue would that bring in?