Non-Penguins Offseason RUMORS 2014

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Non-Penguins Offseason RUMORS 2014

Post by FLPensFan »

Figured I'd start a thread just for Rumors, rather than bog down the actual signings thread.

I'll start the thread with none other than Evander Kane. Seems to be some steam picking up in the rumor mill of Evander Kane trade talks to the Florida Panthers. Heard from 3 or 4 different valid sources (ie non-Eklund) today in twitter universe talking about it, and probably 2-3 more "insiders" mentioning it. Again, I don't pay much attention to the "insiders," but I have found that when several of them are all talking up the same trade, it is usually because they heard it from somewhere else and are trying to take credit as reporting it first.

It makes a lot of sense on a few levels (Which usually means it makes too much sense to actually happen, but....)

1. Florida has so many young prospects, they fit them all on their roster. Tallon has publicly stated they are likely to move some of those prospects for the right deal.
2. Florida has a HUGE need for a guy with 30-goal potential. Kane would fit that need.
3. Centers and defensemen would be a big help to WPG, and Florida has lots of both.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Trocheck, Kulikov, and a 1st for Kane. Maybe throw in Fleischman, Upshall, or Kopecky and another young D prospect like Petrovic or Matheson to get Buff too.

The one drawback I see.....putting Kane anywhere near South Beach would be just asking for trouble.

I've also heard a few less rumblings that Florida may also be interested in Big Buff, and could try and trade for a package of Kane and Byfuglien.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Non-Penguins Offseason RUMORS 2014

Post by FLPensFan »

I'll also add that the Patrick Sharp to FL rumors are also floating out there. Again, makes sense because:

1. Tallon has a history dealing with Chicago being that is where he came from to Florida.
2. Chicago needs to shed salary to get under the cap.
3. Chicago could pick up some cheap but good prospects like a Trocheck, Shore, who could probably make their team and help reduce salary.