Goalie Equipment Reductions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Goalie Equipment Reductions

Post by meow »

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles/12 ... -reduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Goalie Equipment Reductions

Post by Rylan »

Doesn't fix the issue of Michelin Man chest protectors and over-sized gloves. Though with the majority of goalies being butterfly its something, scoring won't change significantly.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Looks like more changes will take place before the 2014-15 season. This year is only a 2" reduction on the from the knee-to-thigh. If this increases scoring by 20 total goals this year, I'll be surprised.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

meow wrote:Looks like more changes will take place before the 2014-15 season. This year is only a 2" reduction on the from the knee-to-thigh. If this increases scoring by 20 total goals this year, I'll be surprised.
They'll all be on Steve Mason.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:Looks like more changes will take place before the 2014-15 season. This year is only a 2" reduction on the from the knee-to-thigh. If this increases scoring by 20 total goals this year, I'll be surprised.
They'll all be on Steve Mason.
That was going to happen regardless.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Issue not addressed. Barely or not worth the time to even discuss until it is taken seriously.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

You just can't see any net on these guys anymore. Now everyone wants to draft a 6'5 goalie. ANd the leg pads are only part of the problem like Rylan said the chest protectors have become huge. I love scoring in the NHL and would like to see it go up by another goal a game avg. Would love to get back to the scoring champ avg. 1.5 to 2 pts a game. Right now they barely land over 100 total pts.

I have to admit it would be really hard to get more scoring in the league without doing something totally radical. Even if you did a big change in equipment i don't see scoring going up alot.

ANyone have an idea on getting more scoring in the game? I know most people like how it is now?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If you shrink the goalie pads to the point of just protecting the goalies from pucks fired at them, I think it would go up pretty drastically.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

as crazy as it looks, just go with the bubble nets. Take that goalies, HAHA.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I don't necessarily want more scoring, I don't find scoring to be necessarily more exciting than a defensive game. I just want a well played game by qualified players. Goaltending is currently in the toilet, by and large, reducing equipment sizes from here on down increases the amount of talent necessary to play the position, thus increasing the quality of the product, thus increasing my excitement level.

Outcome notwithstanding, I found the 2012 Eastern Conference Quartefinal series between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to be ugly and sloppy and really just silly...whether we won or lost I would have felt that way...that was not good hockey, in my opinion. Despite the copious amount of goals...

I don't care if scoring goes up at all, I'd be fine if it went down, as long as the quality of the game was high.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

reduce chest protectors and gloves and blockers next maybe even sticks and see what that does.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Or just not allow the goalie to leave the crease. :pop:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

At the end of the day, getting around the restrictions in too easy. Unless the NHL moves to something like one company makes the same pads for every goalie and they are exact cookie cutters of each other, but tailored to each goalie's individual size, guys are going to find a way to skirt around the restrictions. "Take an inch from the cuff of my glove? Ok, I'm moving that inch into the catching web until you tell me I can't six years from now." "My pads can only be 11 inches wide? Whatevs, I'll just add an inch to my thigh risers."

Chest and arm protectors and pants are honestly the biggest problems, in my opinion. Chest protectors do not need to come up at the shoulders. There was a picture of Craig Anderson where his top line of his chest protector was basically at his ears. I always added an addition roll of padding to the sternum plate in the front and never touched the shoulder rolls. Pucks off the shoulders are typically deflected off anyway. Sternum shots? That's all me in there, baby. Pants are also borderline ridiculous. Guys want to move inside their pants. Think of Fleury's down, load, and push. His torso twists inside the pants. The pants do not rotate or turn with him. Trim those puppies down.

Side note: whoever originally stirred up this Kool Aid that more goals = more engaging hockey needs a swift kick to the teeth.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Rylan wrote:Or just not allow the goalie to leave the crease. :pop:

I really like that idea and think it would create aa little more offence. But only issue with that is i see alot more contact\concussions along the boards if the goalie didn't play the puck. I used to like that idea but soured on it alittle.

I wonder if Hybrid icing will be voted on anytime soon, last GM meetings it was said to gain alot fo traction.