Multiple Outdoor Games in 2014?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Multiple Outdoor Games in 2014?

Post by Tim Thomasen »

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnis ... 30223.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to multiple well-placed sources, the NHL is planning on having not one, but several additional outdoor games in 2014, a series of outdoor games, if you will, which will begin with the Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.
There has also been talk about staging a game in each of the seven Canadian NHL markets, Minnesota, Denver and Washington -- Philadelphia, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Boston and Chicago, all of whom have already hosted a Winter Classic, are also options for future games
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Multiple Outdoor Games in 2014?

Post by Idoit40fans »

I like that. Maximizing the risk that a game is made a complete sham because the players are in unplayable conditions.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Uh...no.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Take a unique thing, and run it into the ground. Kudos, NHL.

How about replace the All-star game with an outdoor game?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Take a unique thing, and run it into the ground. Kudos, NHL.

The ASG sucks. So, this would make it more entertaining. Make it that the conference that wins hosts the Cup Finals....wait a second, I feel like I've heard this before.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I would like to see the ASG as an outdoor event since it's a joke anyway, but then it severely limits the markets which can host a game.

Really though, we do not need a winter classic every season... It dilutes the "cool" factor of the event (which is long gone for me), and turns one game a year into a mess.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Meh.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

multiple sites for a Winter Classic? Why not?

Not sure if I like the idea of a series of games stretched throughout the season, but a single day where several outdoor games are played wouldn't be a bad idea. It would make the NHL happy with doing multiple games, and limiting it to one day would keep those who don't like the idea of watering down the Classic happy since the other 364 days out of the year would be indoors.

A few problems with my idea:
*If they do this on January 1st, they will be going up against college football. Ratings will take a hit.
*If not January 1st, when? If you go earlier, you have to look at stadium availability if you're considering an NFL or NCAA stadium. If you go too early or too late, weather becomes a factor. Speaking of weather...
*How to handle weather-related delays. As we saw at Heinz Field, if the weather doesn't cooperate, the game gets delayed. If one goes off late and one on schedule, then you're possibly looking at games overlapping. If one goes early and a 7 PM PST game goes on a delay, there's a chance that you might have a game that ends after 2am on the East coast. That, and any potential momentum carried over from the first game.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

JS© wrote:multiple sites for a Winter Classic? Why not?

Not sure if I like the idea of a series of games stretched throughout the season, but a single day where several outdoor games are played wouldn't be a bad idea. It would make the NHL happy with doing multiple games, and limiting it to one day would keep those who don't like the idea of watering down the Classic happy since the other 364 days out of the year would be indoors.

A few problems with my idea:
*If they do this on January 1st, they will be going up against college football. Ratings will take a hit.
*If not January 1st, when? If you go earlier, you have to look at stadium availability if you're considering an NFL or NCAA stadium. If you go too early or too late, weather becomes a factor. Speaking of weather...
*How to handle weather-related delays. As we saw at Heinz Field, if the weather doesn't cooperate, the game gets delayed. If one goes off late and one on schedule, then you're possibly looking at games overlapping. If one goes early and a 7 PM PST game goes on a delay, there's a chance that you might have a game that ends after 2am on the East coast. That, and any potential momentum carried over from the first game.
I guess I never understood why they didn't just make the All Star Game the outdoor game... its already an exhibition environment, and all the variables make a competitive game a bit less competitive, at the least.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Make all the games be played outside.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Rylan wrote:Make all the games be played outside.
If only there was an arena with a ceiling that could be opened.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Take a unique thing, and run it into the ground. Kudos, NHL.

This.

I don't like this. The Winter Classic was good because it was unique (I know there are other outdoor games). But if you start staging multiple ones, it looses it's luster.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I'm in favor of doing one or two outdoor games per week in January and February. I've said that a long time.

Would you really not be interested in seeing a Penguins game at Heinz Field every other year or two? With the tailgating, the media attention, the special events. I'd be all over it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I would really be interested in never seeing a Penguins game at Heinz field again. I'd also be interested in the Penguins never being involved again. That hope will probably be dashed in 2-3 years though.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I would really be interested in never seeing a Penguins game at Heinz field again. I'd also be interested in the Penguins never being involved again. That hope will probably be dashed in 2-3 years though.
I had a lot of fun at the Winter Classic (until we lost and I remembered how much I spent on my ticket).

What do you hate about it so much?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I had a lot of fun at the Winter Classic, but not because of the game. Too far away, not enjoyable to watch. So glad I didn't go to the first one, that would have not only been hard to see, but the ice was extra atrocious.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ossa »

Penguins vs. Flyers at Beaver Stadium would be kinda cool.

I too had fun at the WC at Heinz Field. I had 3rd row seats in the upper deck so my view was great. But I do think having it year after year is making it less cool.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I would really be interested in never seeing a Penguins game at Heinz field again. I'd also be interested in the Penguins never being involved again. That hope will probably be dashed in 2-3 years though.
I had a lot of fun at the Winter Classic (until we lost and I remembered how much I spent on my ticket).

What do you hate about it so much?
You had to bring that up? :(