Pure Hockey Bridgeville, my unofficial hockey retailer

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Pure Hockey Bridgeville, my unofficial hockey retailer

Post by netwolf »

If you follow me on Twitter (@LGP_netwolf), you already know about this. If you don't, well, why the hell don't you? :twisted:

Pure is having a 20% off everything sale starting tomorrow (today if you're in their mobile club). I've had a gift card since Christmas and decided to finally upgrade my 10+ year old Bauer Supreme 3000 skates.

I did a little research and decided on Bauer Vapor X 5.0s. I walked in and was greeted right away. I told the clerk what I was there for and after measuring both of my feet, he went to the back and quickly returned with the skates. I put them on, laced them up, and took a few steps. I commented aloud that they were a lot stiffer than my current ones, guessing that them not being a decade old had something to do with it.

He asked how often I played. After hearing I'm only out there once or twice a week, he explained that the 5.0s would take quite a while to break in at that rate and that they'd likely be a bit uncomfortable. I asked for some recommendations in the same neighborhood and he came back with a pair of 4.0s (which were $100 less) and a pair of One.6s ($40 more).

I tried both of those on. I liked the look of the One.6s more and the laces were better, but something felt odd around the arch of my left foot, almost like the liner was folded or pinched. I didn't get that at all with the 4.0s (or the 5.0s) and with the huge price difference ($150 vs $290), the decision was a no-brainer.

He popped them in the oven, got them molded around my feet, then took them off to get sharpened while I walked around the store, resisting the temptation to spend more money (tough to do there).

It would have been extremely easy for them to just fit me up with the skates I walked in for, but instead, they put me in a better skate for me and saved me $100 on top of it. I liked my trips to this store before, but now I'm a loyal customer and I recommend you check them out. :thumb: :fist:

Next session can't start soon enough!
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Pure Hockey Bridgeville, my unofficial hockey retailer

Post by Godric »

Glad you like your new skates!

Imo though, I hate skate ovens. I am of the opinion that placing ziplock bags of boiling water inside the skate for a minute and then removing the bags and placing your feet works much better. Yes, of course it is hot but if you do it right you don't get burned :wink:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Huh...? I've never heard of that before...that shouldn't even work...

The boiling water method involves putting the skate boot in a bag (not a bag in a skate boot) and dunking the bag in boiling water and then putting it on your foot...

I just can't imagine the method you suggested actually working, but if it did it did I suppose...doesn't sound right though...
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

mikey287 wrote:Huh...? I've never heard of that before...that shouldn't even work...

The boiling water method involves putting the skate boot in a bag (not a bag in a skate boot) and dunking the bag in boiling water and then putting it on your foot...

I just can't imagine the method you suggested actually working, but if it did it did I suppose...doesn't sound right though...
What I suggested works for the inner padding molding to your foot
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

So what are they offering you for this endorsement?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I was offered nothing to write that up. They did thank me this morning via Twitter and ask me to send them an e-mail though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do I get a discount if I tell them netwolf sent me?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Do I get a discount if I tell them netwolf sent me?
Free Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

So I got something in the mail from Pure Hockey yesterday:

It pays to be nice sometimes! :thumb: :fist: