Bobby Lou is a funny guy

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Bobby Lou is a funny guy

Post by llipgh2 »

As I and others have mentioned, he is worth following on Twitter. Today's tweet is great.
@strombone1
I just wanted to apologize to all the people who had to replace their Budweiser Red Light bulb after yesterday's debacle. #LUON8O
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Bobby Lou is a funny guy

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Awesome.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I can just imagine the reaction in PR if this were Flower commenting after giving up 8 goals.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah I wouldn't be very happy about this if I were a Canucks' fan.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

This isnt quite as bad as the Colts drunk kicker going on Letterman after missing a field goal to go to the AFC Championship game, but this wouldnt sit well with me if I were a fan. Poor attempt at self deprecating humor
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

jebus people! lighten up! if you can't laugh at yourself you're in big trouble!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I find it hilarious and would even if it was my team. I just smile thinking how this board would take it.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I dont think this is a "lol lighten up" situation. Its not like he fell comming of the bench or something like that. Kind of like it would be okay if Vokoun joked about that goal he gave up in Washington where he went behind the net, but if he was on twitter lol'ing about playing like ass in that Flyer game last week I would be angry. Bobby Lou is already in hot water up there, so "LOL I gave up 8 goalz" isnt exactly the best route to go.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I think this shows some mental toughness on Luongo's part. Everyone has bad games. Let them go
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

How does it show mental toughness? It shows that he's making light of playing like crap. Maybe if he took gaffes like this more seriously, he wouldn't disintegrate when the pressure increased.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

posting something like that is a bad pr move.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The posts are funny in a vacuum, but I really don't think they look good from a PR perspective. Especially given his past difficulties
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Idoit40fans wrote:How does it show mental toughness? It shows that he's making light of playing like crap. Maybe if he took gaffes like this more seriously, he wouldn't disintegrate when the pressure increased.
Is he supposed to cut himself in a dark room instead?

I mean, I completely agree that this is a bad PR move, but it seems to be that as far as mental toughness goes it would be better to be able to laugh off your bad outings and move on. He definitely shouldn't be tweeting stuff like though.

(It also doesn't change the fact that he sucks.)
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't think he should do anything. Tweeting about being bad shows nothing other than stupidity.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

If it helps him get over the loss better, I don't see why it's a bad thing for Luongo. Now PR-wise, it's a different story, but if it helps Luongo to put it behind him and refocus for his next start, more power to him.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

It just seems like a cop out. Like these celebrities who go on these drunken rampages and make fools of themselves. "I'll just go on Saturday Night Live and make fun of myself about it."

If he wanted to apologize fine, but its like he thinks joking about it will just make it go away. Shut up and stop letting in 8 goals.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Meh. I'm ok with it. He beat everyone to the inevitable punch on this.

Do the Canucks like it? Probably not. And I can't say I blame them. But, they kind of created this with the "let's trade Luongo, let's not, let's make him a backup, no wait, let's trade him..." mess going on. I'm sure he really doesn't care if he becomes a PR nightmare. Not saying that's right, but I'm guessing that's it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:It just seems like a cop out. Like these celebrities who go on these drunken rampages and make fools of themselves. "I'll just go on Saturday Night Live and make fun of myself about it."

If he wanted to apologize fine, but its like he thinks joking about it will just make it go away. Shut up and stop letting in 8 goals.
Maybe it does make it go away in his mind, and he could care less what other people think about him?

If he can get over it by making fun of himself, then why not let him keep using this coping strategy if it works?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Well he'd better hope he doesnt have to keep using it :pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Bobby Lou is the odd man out in Vancouver. I'd do the same stuff if I were him. Some of the criticism of him over the years has been warranted but the majority of it has been an absolute crapshow of stupidity. I love how he's dealing with it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

canaan wrote:Bobby Lou is the odd man out in Vancouver. I'd do the same stuff if I were him. Some of the criticism of him over the years has been warranted but the majority of it has been an absolute crapshow of stupidity. I love how he's dealing with it.
This probably sums up my opinion best on the subject. I hate to break it to everyone, but Luongo is one of the best goalies of the era...I'm normally a bit sensitive to this kind of stuff, but I'm ok with this really...
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Bobby Lou has actually done pretty well this season for Vancouver so I see absolutely no problem with him poking some fun at himself over 1 game. I only saw a small portion of this game but I'm willing to bet that not all 8 of those goals were his fault.
for those of you that don't actually play hockey, beer league or otherwise I've got news for you: some nights you just don't have it and there's nothing you can do to stop it. there are games when the puck just doesn't bounce your way, everything's just barely out of your reach, every move you make is the wrong one, every call goes against you. better to let it roll off your back and move on than dwell on it and have it affect your next 3 games as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Nothing you said has anything to do with why people would be mad about his post on twitter.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Idoit40fans wrote:Nothing you said has anything to do with why people would be mad about his post on twitter.
pretty sure it does. people are saying that he shouldn't be able to poke fun at himself and I'm saying that he should be able to if he wants to. the Canucks clearly have no problem with his Twitter account since they had HNIC pimping it on their After Hours show a couple of weeks ago.