Youngstown, OH Rink Shutting down

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Youngstown, OH Rink Shutting down

Post by Pensfan2010 »

I don't know if we have any other NE Ohio residents on the board here, but the Ice Zone, the only rink in Youngstown (other than the Covelli Centre downtown, which offers nothing) is shutting it's doors for good on May 15th. It's a shame that kids in the area, won't have the same opportunity to play the great game of hockey that I had growing up. Unfortunately you could see it coming from a miles a way. The rink management was awful, forcing the mens league out, and really doing nothing to promote youth hockey in the Mahoning Valley. Either way it's a shame, that a place just a little over an hour away from a hockey hotbed like Pittsburgh is shutting down, due to the poor mismanagement of a few adults. And I guess it looks like I'll be headed over to PA to try to . Just sucks that a place that I grew up at, met and made great friends there, and it's gone. Just a shame.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/feb/18/i ... may-15/?nw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Youngstown, OH Rink Shutting down

Post by Dickie Dunn »

So its like everything else in Youngstown?
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Matthew Monstar »

This is such a shame. Last year, I use to go to this Ice Zone rink and play pick up every Wednesday night. It's a very nice facility with two ice rinks, concessions, pro shop, locker rooms.

Fortunately for me, I am near Pittsburgh and have many rinks to choose from, lately Beaver Falls Ice Arena is the closest.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

This should be of high concern to the Pens for marketing reasons. They should not allow the Youngstown area to become a hockey desert. It is relatively close to Pittsburgh, easily drivable both ways for attending Pens' home games, even on weeknights. It is within the Pens’ market region and within the Root Sports viewing area and the city currently has a station on the Pens’ radio network. The Youngstown Metro Area has the largest population by far of any metro area within the Pens’ market region outside of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. It has more population than Winnipeg’s metro area.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Bathgate wrote:This should be of high concern to the Pens for marketing reasons. They should not allow the Youngstown area to become a hockey desert. It is relatively close to Pittsburgh, easily drivable both ways for attending Pens' home games, even on weeknights. It is within the Pens’ market region and within the Root Sports viewing area and the city currently has a station on the Pens’ radio network. The Youngstown Metro Area has the largest population by far of any metro area within the Pens’ market region outside of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. It has more population than Winnipeg’s metro area.
Here in NJ the rinks chnage hands often, and file for protection from debt, reorganize debt structure, etc. None ever close outright. There are always new owners to be found and it seems eventually they end up being marginally profitable after debt load is reduced and they are established with a few youth programs as consistent revenue streams.

If the facility is nice, are there no new ownership groups willing to step in at a reduced price?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I see Youngstown had a population of 565k while Winnipeg's is 730k.

Still though, that's a big chunk that you'd want to draw hockey interest
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

Mr. Colby wrote:I see Youngstown had a population of 565k while Winnipeg's is 730k.

Still though, that's a big chunk that you'd want to draw hockey interest
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Vall ... nsylvania).

It says Greater Youngstown has 763k.
iWonTheCup87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by iWonTheCup87 »

im From around the Area in Ohio and that whole area is dead and esp for hockey, no one in Ohio cares about Hockey at all. It is a football state. Its a shame though, growing up around there i always wanted to play hockey and wished my high school had hockey. Had no friends who liked it so i never tried to join some team. Its sad they give no one any chance around those areas to get into hockey. Always regretted i had to move from Pitt to Ohio because I would have been at a high school with an ice hockey team