Tombstone Warz Post Game Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tombstone Warz Post Game Thread

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Congrats again to the village. Looking back, I admit I probably gave the village too much of an advantage.

Here were the role PMs I sent out. First the green players.

MWB - Wyatt Earp (Green Vig)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are famous lawman Wyatt Earp. You have just arrived into Tombstone with your brothers, Virgil, Morgan, and Warren. You’re known as a lawman from your time in Dodge City, but it is here in Tombstone that you will become famous.

As an Earp brother you will be allowed to learn the identity of one of your brothers after night 3, and then allowed to communicate from that point on without any restrictions. Make the right choice as only one of your brothers is a role player. Send your choice to me via PM during day 4.

Since Wyatt was never injured during a gun fight, you will receive similar invincible powers. You can only be killed on even numbered nights beginning on night 2. You can still be killed during a day phase.

As for your role, since the only gun you own is a six shooter, you will only have six kills, so use your bullets wisely. You can only use one bullet a night. After a certain event though, you may gain extra powers…
relantel - Virgil Earp (Seerer)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are Virgil Earp, the oldest of the Earp brothers in Tombstone. You have recently been appointed Deputy U.S. Marshal for the eastern portion of Pima County Arizona. You have arrived in Tombstone with your brothers Virgil, Morgan, and Warren.

If you are contacted by your brother Wyatt, you may communicate with him without any restrictions.

As a U.S. Marshal, you can see the identity of any player each night. You may share this info with the village if you so choose during the day phases.

If someone attempts to kill you at night, if you are not saved by the angel, the first time will only result in the loss of your seerer powers. The second attempt will result in your death.
Kraftster - John "Doc" Holliday (Angel)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are John “Doc” Holliday. You’re known as Doc as you received the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery from the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery (now University of Pennsylvania). You’ve moved to Tombstone, Arizona, with the belief that the dry climate will help you fight your tuberculosis condition. You became friends with Wyatt Earp during your time in Dodge City when you defended him in a saloon against a handful of cowboys. With that act you will be the angel for this game.

You may choose any player, including yourself, to protect each night. There is no limit against saving any other player, but you may only save yourself for two consecutive nights.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Tombstone Warz Post Game Thread

Now the red players:

TheHammer24 - William "Curly Bill" Brocius (Red Alpha)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are William “Curly Bill” Brocius. You are the leader of the cowboys. With the advice of your fellow cowboys, Johnny Ringo (PensFanInDC) and Ike Clanton (newarenanow), you must decide on whom to kill each night.

If you live until Night 2, you will be able to recruit a player in the village. If your recruit should fail, you are given one more chance to recruit, on a night of your choosing. On the night of recruiting, no other powers may be used by you or your assistants (no kills, sees, or protects). The power to recruit dies with you, the ability to kill does not.
PensFanInDC - John “Johnny” Ringo (Red Angel)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are John “Johnny” Ringo. As a good friend of Curly Bill Brocius (TheHammer24), you may choose any player, including yourself, to protect each night, but you cannot save the same player for two consecutive nights.
newarenanow - Joseph Isaac “Ike” Clanton (Red Seerer)
Congratulations on being selected as a role player for Tombstone Warz. You are Joseph Isaac “Ike” Clanton. You are the eyes and ears of the cowboys. You can see the identity of any player every other night beginning on night 2.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Night actions and day votes:

Night 1 actions:
MWB - no action chosen
Relantel – see redwill (villager)
Kraftster – didn’t send in PM by deadline

TheHammer24 – kill MWB (failed)
PensFanInDC – protect himself
Newarenanow – N/A

Sheriff vote:
12 MWB (TheHammer24, columbia, relantel, Benny Fitz, NAN, Kraftster, Malkamaniac, shaftnutz, Willie Kool, PFIDC, Gaucho, redwill)
1 Gaucho (redwill nominated but never seconded)

Day 1 Vote:
Willie Kool - 6 (Gaucho, Kraftster, TheHammer24, NAN, mac5155, MWB)
redwill - 2 (columbia, PFIDC)
PFIDC - 1 (shafnutz05)
Kraftster - 1 (Willie Kool)
Shafnutz05 - 1(Benny Fitz)

Night 2 actions:
MWB - No action chosen
Relantel – See MWB (Wyatt Earp – Green Vig)
Kraftster – Save MWB

TheHammer24 – kill Kraftster (Doc Holliday – Green Angel)
PensFanInDC – save nan
Newarenanow – see Columbia (villager)

Day 2 Vote:
shafnutz05 – 5 (Benny Fitz, nan, MWB, relantel, Gaucho)
PFiDC - 1 (mac5155)
columbia – 2 (canaan, redwill)
Redwill – 1(Hammer)
MWB -1 (shafnutz)

Night 3 actions:
MWB - Kill Benny Fitz (villager)
Relantel – see PFiDC (Jonny Ringo – Red Angel)

TheHammer24 – Recruit mac5155
PensFanInDC – n/a
Newarenanow – n/a

Day 3 Vote:
PFiDC - 7 (relantel, redwill, mac5155, Hammer, nan, MWB, columbia)
relantel – 1 (PFIDC)

Night 4 actions:
MWB - kill gaucho (villager)
Relantel – see malkamaniac (villager)

TheHammer24 – kill relantel
Newarenanow – See MWB (Wyatt Earp)

Day 4 Vote:
columbia – 4 (TheHammer24, canaan, Malkamaniac, mac5155)
Malkamaniac - 2 (nan, columbia)

Night 5 actions:
MWB - kill TheHammer24 (Curly Bill)

TheHammer24 – kill relantel (Virgil Earp)
Newarenanow – n/a

Day 5 Vote:
mac5155 - 5 - (nan, redwill, canaan, malks, mwb)
malks - 1 - (mac)

Night 6 actions:
MWB - kill nan (Ike Clanton)

Newarenanow – kill MWB (Wyatt Earp)
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Good game and valiant effort by the Reds. :thumb:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

My plans were to not allow the greens to recruit until Doc Holliday was killed or an attempt to kill Virgil was made or Virgil was killed.

Here was the PM I sent MWB after Kraftster was killed.
With the murder of your good friend Doc Holliday (Kraftster) you are now out for blood. You have decided to form a posse and start out on a vendetta ride to bring the cowboys to justice. As part of your vendetta ride you will now have unlimited kills, but still only one kill a night. You also are able to recruit a villager to join your posse. If you die, your powers will pass to the recruit. A recruit of a cowboy will be unsuccessful, and no other recruit will be possible.
MWB chose redwill. Here is the PM I sent him.

redwill – Morgan Earp (Green Recruit)
You have been recruited by Wyatt Earp (MWB) to join his posse for his vendetta ride. Your only power is that you will be able to communicate freely with Wyatt from now on. If Wyatt is killed you will inherit his powers. It is up to MWB to discuss what those powers are.
And here is the PM I sent to mac after he was recruited.
You have been recruited by Curly Bill Brocius to join his outlaw group of cowboys. You are John Behan and you believe you should be the sheriff of Cochise County not MWB. You may communicate with the rest of the cowboys Johnny Ringo and Ike Clanton.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Wow, being Red is SOOO much more fun than being a villager. I was so happy we nailed the angel on night 2, and overall, felt pretty great about my game.

MWB - why'd do you kill me? Was it really the PFIDC comment? I thought I buddied up to you pretty hard.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Oh wow. I just read that MWB recruited Redwill. I honestly think it was impossible for us to win with Double Protection (MWB and Angel), Double Vig (MWB and if he dies Redwill), and communication with seer. Way too much. Jeez.

Great game, SDD - I had fun.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

TheHammer24 wrote:Wow, being Red is SOOO much more fun than being a villager. I was so happy we nailed the angel on night 2, and overall, felt pretty great about my game.

MWB - why'd do you kill me? Was it really the PFIDC comment? I thought I buddied up to you pretty hard.
Yes, the pfidc comment clinched it. Like I said, you played great. At that point it was you or Canaan, and looked back at that vote to decide.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Looking back I would have only allowed the green vig to kill every other night once the vendetta began. I also would have not allowed the green recruit to take Wyatt's place after the vig died. I also should have made Wyatt safe every 3 nights instead of every other night.

I didn't expect the reds to target MWB the first night. If they had targeted someone else night one, Kraftster probably wouldn't know that MWB was Wyatt since at that point the greens weren't allowed to talk.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The RPs handled themselves well, as I was clueless for most of the game.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Nothing but respect for the reds. We had a pretty damn good posse together in MWB, relantel, and myself, and yet we struggled mightily and killed a lot of blues along the way.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Nan, pfidc, hammer, why did you elect MWB to be sheriff instead of one of your own?

Also, was it luck that you chose MWB night one?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Village pushed me into the obvious see of MWB after he was elected sheriff, and survived the night kill. So that once the recruit happened, we were already in communication. And redwill was choice as we knew he was blue and we wouldn't waste the recruit. Also meant we didn't have any false clears from before the red recruit.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Looking back I would have only allowed the green vig to kill every other night once the vendetta began. I also would have not allowed the green recruit to take Wyatt's place after the vig died. I also should have made Wyatt safe every 3 nights instead of every other night.

I didn't expect the reds to target MWB the first night. If they had targeted someone else night one, Kraftster probably wouldn't know that MWB was Wyatt since at that point the greens weren't allowed to talk.
I haven't played many of these games, but giving us additional powers (see, protect, recruit), is far less helpful than giving the greens extra powers. Through communication, you created an unbeatable voting bloc: Redwill, MWB, Rel, and whoever Rel sees: i.e. Either Rel sees a blue and adds them to the voting bloc or he sees a red and kills us. There's quite literally no way to win under this format. Indeed, it's remarkable we made it this far.

If you wanted to go along the vendetta route you could have gone:

Vig (Night 1 Protect, but write into story line; Vig every night; Recruit after Green dies; Communicate with Recruit Only)
Seer (see every night; no protect [wtf was that?])
Angel (protect every night)
Recruit (communicate with vig)

Reds
Same powers, but the protect and see don't really help us that much.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Great game by everyone, especially the red players. I thought the reds were going to win until you guys basically scarificed PFIDC. You had the numbers at that point. If you had pushed more towards canaan or malkmaniac on that day, you would have had a better chance. I realize you were trying to make it look like you weren't favoring him, but I thought you were too quick to jump on him.

Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely make it more fair for the next game.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Nan, pfidc, hammer, why did you elect MWB to be sheriff instead of one of your own?

I "figured" out Kraftster and Rel, but MWB was pure chance. Just shot for a good player.

NAN's advice for being red was play like you're blue. I took you at your word that the sheriff was only going to break tie votes (and thus I determined it wasn't that meaningful), so if I were blue, I would have wanted to make sure I gave it to a good guy. MWB was the only guy we knew was good at this point, so I lobbied for him.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Nan, pfidc, hammer, why did you elect MWB to be sheriff instead of one of your own?

I don't knwo about the others, but I voted MWB sheriff because to me, he survived the Night 1 kill, so you kind of had to play it off that he was the angel (which we thought at the time), therefore a player the village could trust.

It was just random to select him on the Night kill. No other reason.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

TheHammer24 wrote:Indeed, it's remarkable we made it this far.
No ****. That's what everyone is saying. Take the compliment.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

redwill wrote:
:shock: :scared:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I didn't plan on having the greens be able to talk to each other into later in the game. So I hadn't really thought of the consequences of allowing it sooner.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Looking back I would have only allowed the green vig to kill every other night once the vendetta began. I also would have not allowed the green recruit to take Wyatt's place after the vig died. I also should have made Wyatt safe every 3 nights instead of every other night.

I will say, if I didn't have the night one protect it probably would have been a quick win for the reds though. Kraftster and I would have been out in the first two nights and relantel would have been on his own the rest of the way.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

In such a small game, giving that many powers to both sides make it difficult. But the thing that really hurt us was the communication. As soon as MWB came out that Malks, redwill and himself were villagers/green, and there were only 3 left, it was over. And this after we killed the seer.

And so many protects made it almost impossible as well. We weren't ever goign to vote them out because if it got close to killing them, they'd out themselves and most likely would get the vote off of them. So the main chance you get with killing a green is at night once you figure it out, and we couldn't even do that.

The other thing that hurt was that there was no voting limit, and the deadlines were very random. And then it went from no night talking to night talking, so it was difficult to figure out when to participate or lay low.

I think the premise of the game was awesome. It was a ton of fun until the end when we knew we had absolutely no chance.

But still, great game SDD.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

redwill wrote:
like I said in the dead thread - one can play a great game and still die.

Sometimes luck plays a role. I think had we been playing a limit game, the post-columbia vote portion of the game would have been different. The extra time helped us, as it went from a bandwagon vote to having some thought and changes involved. We weren't certain columbia was blue. But I didn't think all of the reds would have piled on him even if he was. So I pulled back during a rare (for me) phone session.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

TheHammer24 wrote:

I "figured" out Kraftster and Rel, but MWB was pure chance. Just shot for a good player.

NAN's advice for being red was play like you're blue. I took you at your word that the sheriff was only going to break tie votes (and thus I determined it wasn't that meaningful), so if I were blue, I would have wanted to make sure I gave it to a good guy. MWB was the only guy we knew was good at this point, so I lobbied for him.
The other thing that was kind of suspicious about you was when you went MIA after the pfidc kill. We were surprised by the lack of discussion about that and about how rel and I both avoided kills.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

MWB wrote:

I will say, if I didn't have the night one protect it probably would have been a quick win for the reds though. Kraftster and I would have been out in the first two nights and relantel would have been on his own the rest of the way.
I'm not sure I would have gone after Kraftster, if you didn't get the protect, though. As Caanan was pointing out, Kraftster's ostensible knowledge of you not being protected by an angel was a little tip off. I may still gone after him though, because he's come in late and barely participated last two games, and this game he was active at the start, so I assumed he got a PM.

NAN suggested you were the angel, and as such, we couldn't risk going after you twice in a row, but ideally we should have killed you again on night 2. That way you would have lost your recruit and your vig powers, and the game would have been a lot more symmetrical.