Pens sign Connor James

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Admin
Site Admin

Pens sign Connor James

Post by Admin »

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed free agent right wing Connor James, it was announced today by General Manager Ray Shero.

James, 23, appeared in 77 games with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League during the 2005-06 season and recorded 42 points (17+25), ranking fourth on the team in scoring and fifth in goals. James' two short-handed goals tied for second on the team.

James made his NHL debut in 2005-06 with the Los Angeles Kings, appearing in two games and going scoreless.

The 5-10 and 170-pound native of Calgary, Alberta attended the University of Denver (2000-04) and was a member of their 2004 NCAA Championship Team, earning a spot on the All-Tournament Team. In 160 career games at Denver, James recorded 150 points (57+93) and 60 penalty minutes.

James was drafted by Los Angeles in the ninth round (279th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Does this mean we don't have to worry about the malkin issue anymore?

Actually, Fletcher said thet they still had to sign depth for WBS so I would expect a number of signings like this one in the near future.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Jim wrote:Does this mean we don't have to worry about the malkin issue anymore?
Did something happen with Malkin? :P
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ginger »

I've seen him. He's kinda a more talented version of Andy Ferrence. :wink:

He is really fast tho'! And had fancy feet in a kinda Kovy way. This definitely would be considered a good signing.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I was hoping for Connor Banks. Or maybe Stevie Weeks. He's got jump. :lol:
MrKnowNothing

Post by MrKnowNothing »

Interesting pickup. Still only 23 years old, and will presumably get some good ice time in Wilkes Barre.

Also, there is some talk on jb's blog (the WBS beat writer) about a potential mystery player who may be brought to WBS that is a forward. jb said " If you follow the world of hockey prospects closely, one of the rumored names would blow your mind.", so it will be interesting to see what this ends up being. We've been speculating on HF, and the only thing anyone came up with is getting someone like Rob Schremp on loan from Edmonton. I can't think of any undrafted prospects who would fit that description, so I think Schremp or something similar is a good guess.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

Mr KN, someone mentioned in a comment to JB about M-A Pouliot. That would be cool if he were the mystery man
MrKnowNothing

Post by MrKnowNothing »

jb says in his newest blog that the mystery prospect (or prospects I guess) story will be in tommorow's paper, so we'll know soon.

Someone also speculated about Schremp or JF Jauques, as Edmonton doesn't have an AHL affiliate.

jb said in response to these guesses that some people are either really good guessers or he gave too much away, so I guess the Edmonton loan angle is probably going to come true. We'll see in a few hours.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

I totally misinterpreted everything :oops: I thought this was a player that was being brought to the Pens organization somehow, whereas it's speculation solely on WBS, which makes loans from Edmonton make sense