Can someone recommend a good SQL book?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Can someone recommend a good SQL book?

Post by DelPen »

I need to expand my knowledge a bit. I would need a book that takes you from novice to some advanced stuff, specefically report generation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm a big fan of O'Reilly's series of computer books. Here is their SQL line-up:

http://databases.oreilly.com/
MrKnowNothing

Post by MrKnowNothing »

Yeah. O'Reilly books are great.

I haven't really gotten this far yet, but someone in my programming class was looking for an SQL book. I guess that doesn't help much.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

If you're looking to do SQL Server Programming, I would HIGHLY suggest the SQL Server Unleashed book. I've had one for version 7.0 and used it a ton...one of the best investments I've made for a book

If you're doing Oracle work, I'd recommend the PL/SQL Complete Reference book. Another very detailed book...

If you're doing MySQL, the Core MySQL book has come in handy for me. But, I believe it's as of version 4.1 (book was written in Dec. 01). If you're looking for a 5.0 release, I'm not sure where to point you to:

I know the SQL and Oracle books are a bit expensive, but they were very much worth it to me. Might want to check out half.com to see if someone's selling a used copy for cheap.

Hope that helps!
Peter

Post by Peter »

what is SQL?
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

Peter wrote:what is SQL?
SQL is a programming language to interact with databases. I believe it stands for "Structured Query Langauge"