Wheeling 5 @ Reading 4 --Game 4

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Nailers
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Wheeling 5 @ Reading 4 --Game 4

Post by Nailers »

The Wheeling Nailers will move on to face the Toledo Storm in the Northern Division finals as they knocked off the Reading Royals 3 games to 1 in the Northern Semis. Wheeling beat Reading 5-4 in a wild game in Reading tonight. Jordan Cameron scored the game winner late in the 3rd to lift the Nailers to the victory. Other goal scorers for Wheeling were Sean Collins, Kurtis McLean (2), and Tim Verbeek.

Box Score:
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/ppublic.cgi ... ox&id=3193

Toledo vs. Wheeling Schedule

Gm. 1 Wheeling @ Toledo---Monday

Gm. 2 Wheeling @ Toledo---Wednesday

Gm. 3 Toledo @ Wheeling---Friday

Gm. 4 Toledo @ Wheeling---Saturday (1 PM) IF NECESSARY

Gm. 5 Wheeling @ Toledo---TBD IF NECESSARY
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

noticed Fernholm had an assist, but didn't recognize any of the other names amongst the scorers for the Nailers...
Eisbahren

Post by Eisbahren »

Thanks for the updated info. I try to listen to both WBS and Wheeling games over here.

I see Mihaly on the scoresheet. At WBS he seemed (according to Tom Grace) to be trying too hard to impress at the AHL level and as a result struggled. Is his game better suited to the ECHL level, or could he cope at the higher level?

And how has McLean's game altered after his time in WBS?
Nailers
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Nailers »

Mihaly and McLean make up 2/3 of Wheeling's top line, along with Sean Collins. That line is one of the best lines in the ECHL. I've watched Mihaly play in Wheeling for parts of 5 seasons. He has grown by leaps and bounds. When he first came to Wheeling, he was one of the worst players on the team, now he is one of the best in the league. For him to be successful, he can't play on a 4th line (like he was in WBS). His game is one in which he always has the puck on his stick and can make things happen. Eventhough he has a big body, he isn't a grinder. In Wheeling, the offense runs through the top line. McLean is in a similar situation. In Wheeling, he is on the #1 PP and contributes. He could be a decent 3-4th liner in the AHL. He seems like the kind of player that can adapt to any situation he is in. For a small guy, he has a great shot. The Nailers have been using him on the point on their PP, along with Brendon Hodge. With that said, I think Mihaly is ready to take his game across the pond and see what he can do over there. McLean will probably be in the AHL at least 75-80% of the season next year.