WBS goalies

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

WBS goalies

Post by Jim »

I understand the thought behing sending Fleury to WBS for the playoffs, and I understand that WBS Pens are there to be USED to make the Pittsburgh Penguins better... but... Looking up stats I see the Dany Sabourin is basically the best goalie in the AHL right now. #1 in GAA, #1 in Sv%, #3 in Wins. It is a shame that the best goalie in the league is going to get bumped right at the playoffs just to give some other guy some more playoff experiance.

Now, along with the "that's what they are there for" argument, Fleury's numbers while in WBS are actually better than Sabourin's. So there is a second strong point. However, it's still a poo thing. But that's life in the minors I suppose.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

File it under the "life ain't always fair" category.

My guess is that after a slight like this, Sabourin moves on next year. No big loss.
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by fourtKNOX »

I wouldnt count fleury starting and playing every night... him being in that atmosphere will work wonders in itself... if he goes down... he will get some time... but wouldnt be surprised to see split time either...

no offense to Joe Mullen and the other WBS coaches right now... I am a huuuuuuuge Joe Mullen fan... but should we be sending MT back down for the playoffs... is that even legal? :lol:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I wouldn't take it as a slight, and I don't think Sabourin would take it personal. He got booted from the Calgary system, played in Wheeling last year and WBS this year. He's technically moving up in the world. If the Pens could move either Caron or Thibault this summer, Dany will be the #3 in the org.

I just see it as a general screw, but that is how the farm team system works. They expect it, but it still crappy. Eh... It's like getting pizza, but not the topings you want, lol.