Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Post by schreibdog »

The Penguins apparently will not offer contracts to forwards Nils Ekman and Ronald Petrovicky and defensemen Eric Cairns and Joel Kwiatkowski, all of whom will go on the open market July 1.

They seem to have varying degrees of interest in retaining goalie Jocelyn Thibault and defensemen Rob Scuderi, Alain Nasreddine and Josef Melichar, although it is entirely possible none will be back.
--
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07172/795908-61.stm

I'm bummed about Petro. I liked him on our 4th line much more than BGL.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Post by mikey287 »

schreibdog wrote: I'm bummed about Petro. I liked him on our 4th line much more than BGL.
Agreed.

I'd also like to give Kiwi a chance, if he's willing to be a 7th, he's one of the better 7th d-men in the league if that makes any sense...I guess Scuds will be 7, which will be a sign of some improvement I hope...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote: I'm bummed about Petro. I liked him on our 4th line much more than BGL.
Agreed.

I'd also like to give Kiwi a chance, if he's willing to be a 7th, he's one of the better 7th d-men in the league if that makes any sense...I guess Scuds will be 7, which will be a sign of some improvement I hope...
Laraque is fine on the 4th, no one complained about him until the playoffs, and really it was obvious there wouldn't be a place for him then even before we got to the playoffs. I like Petro too, but I won't complain seeing Laraque.

Cairns was a no brainer though, and Ekman isn't that much of a surprise, though I expect him to go have success somewhere else.
Samuelsson
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Samuelsson »

Idoit40fans wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
Cairns was a no brainer though, and Ekman isn't that much of a surprise, though I expect him to go have success somewhere else.
I'm not so sure about Ekman having success somewhere else. The only place he really has had good numbers in the NHL is San José. And after last year's performance, even though he was injured a lot, it's easy to see that Big Joe probably had a lot to do with it.
stefanh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stefanh »

Samuelsson wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
I'm not so sure about Ekman having success somewhere else. The only place he really has had good numbers in the NHL is San José. And after last year's performance, even though he was injured a lot, it's easy to see that Big Joe probably had a lot to do with it.
Not if you consider that Ekman did as well in San José without Thornton as with.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

schreibdog wrote:The Penguins apparently will not offer contracts to forwards Nils Ekman and Ronald Petrovicky and defensemen Eric Cairns and Joel Kwiatkowski, all of whom will go on the open market July 1.

They seem to have varying degrees of interest in retaining goalie Jocelyn Thibault and defensemen Rob Scuderi, Alain Nasreddine and Josef Melichar, although it is entirely possible none will be back.
Ekman bombed big time. He was decent in SJ even without Thornton, but just never got it going here.

Petrovicky is a loss, but we have a couple guys of that mold. While they are nice to have, you don't want to have too many good grinding relative non-scorers on the roster. You just don't need, or want, two full lines of those.

Cairns is expendable because of Laraque.

Kwiatkowski would be a good reserve guy, but #7's are not that hard to come by.

Thibault is only necessary if they think MAF still needs him. Otherwise he will be too expensive as a rarely used backup.

Scuderi/Melichar are what they are. I am fine with them being the #7, MAYBE a #6 if necessary.

Nasreddine see Kwiatkowski. Frankly, all of Kwiatkowski, Melichar, Nasreddine and Scuderi are the exact same thing.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Sounds like Filewich and Kennedy will get a real shot at making the club this year. It also sounds like Shero isn't going to pull any blockbusters. He also states that he isn't looking to spend 4-5 million on a top pairing defesnman so I guess that probably rules out Hannan as well as a few others. Sounds like he's talking like Letang is on the team already.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I guess the only somewhat suprising one is Petrovicky, although I don't think it's much of a loss.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

I'll miss Petro

Post by Penspal »

And I hate to think of him turboing and and hammering our dmen on another team.

I really don't unserstand this move to be honest. I'm going to guess that Laraque is the guy replacing him, but I sure hope he speeds up considerably.

Good Luck Petro wherever you land, and take it easy on our Pens.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

I'm going to guess the veteran targeted to play alongside Letang is Andy Sutton.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Shero will rue the day he let The Answer walk.
evilpens

Post by evilpens »

NJ5934 wrote:I'm going to guess the veteran targeted to play alongside Letang is Andy Sutton.
I sure as hell hope not :evil:
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

bh wrote:Sounds like he's talking like Letang is on the team already.
I noticed the same thing and that surprised me. Especially since the Q is such an offensive-minded league and defensive play is Letang's weak spot (as we all saw in his 7 games), I would have thought that RS would at least give him a half-season in the AHL, otherwise he may develop as another Gonchar, completely one-dimensional.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

And I hate to think of him turboing and and hammering our dmen on another team.
The problem with him is that he doesn't do it consistently.

As far as Letang goes, I am pretty shocked at Shero's comment. I really don't know what to say, I hope he has improved dramatically since last season.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

By far the worst news to come out fo this article was this quote from Shero that was kind of buried amongst everything else:
"It's hard to say we're going to get a top-two guy to play with [Sergei] Gonchar, unless you're spending $4 million or $5 million dollars and giving [a long-term deal].
That pretty much implies Gonchar will be back, that Shero either has not shopped him or shopped him and found no takers. Yo, Ray, this is not a good way to stay on my good side :evil: .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Mad City Mike wrote:By far the worst news to come out fo this article was this quote from Shero that was kind of buried amongst everything else:
"It's hard to say we're going to get a top-two guy to play with [Sergei] Gonchar, unless you're spending $4 million or $5 million dollars and giving [a long-term deal].
That pretty much implies Gonchar will be back, that Shero either has not shopped him or shopped him and found no takers. Yo, Ray, this is not a good way to stay on my good side :evil: .
Implies...but keep hope, maybe he wanted to say:
"hard to say whether I will find a more suitable home
for Sergei." "Which then would free up some monies
for the top two defenseman."
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jasmine »

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/ ... emen/13555
There are some great defensemen at the top of this list for sure, but Gonchar is not the worst dman you could have. What's with the constant Sergei bashing? :?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I'll miss Petro

Post by Ginger »

Penspal wrote:And I hate to think of him turboing and and hammering our dmen on another team.

I really don't unserstand this move to be honest. I'm going to guess that Laraque is the guy replacing him, but I sure hope he speeds up considerably.

Good Luck Petro wherever you land, and take it easy on our Pens.
I was thinking the same thing. It's not so much their loss to our roster as it is what they can do to our roster of players on another team. :(
I still have kinda mixed feelings about Laraque too so I'm not sure I like relying on him so much.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Jasmine wrote:http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/ ... emen/13555
There are some great defensemen at the top of this list for sure, but Gonchar is not the worst dman you could have. What's with the constant Sergei bashing? :?
Everyone get's bashed. EVERYONE. Well, maybe not Talbot, but everyone else. Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, MAF, Whitney, everyone.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Jasmine wrote:http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/ ... emen/13555
Sergei Gonchar (Pittsburgh)
- Has size, speed and a wicked shot from the point. Makes crisp passes to get out of the defensive zone or lugs the puck up ice with speed.
That has to be one of the worst scouting reports I have seen. It should read:

- Has good size, but fails to use it effectively. Has strong shot from point, but often takes far too long to release it. Very slow at moving puck out of zone. Not a good outlet passer. Refuses to take a hit to make a play. Gutless.

Does that answer your question about Sergei bashing?
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by demondg1 »

I'll miss Petro. But hopefully this gives more ice time to Thorburn. Which I think is a good thing.

I wouldn't have minded Kiwi sticking around as a 6th/7th d-man.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

demondg1 wrote:I'll miss Petro. But hopefully this gives more ice time to Thorburn. Which I think is a good thing.

I wouldn't have minded Kiwi sticking around as a 6th/7th d-man.
I agree with both points here, I think Thorburn is a younger version of Petro, with more of an upside.

Kiwi we hardly knew ye
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

pfim wrote:I guess the only somewhat suprising one is Petrovicky, although I don't think it's much of a loss.
Thorburn could replace him........
stefanh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stefanh »

eastonpensfan wrote:
bh wrote:Sounds like he's talking like Letang is on the team already.
I noticed the same thing and that surprised me. Especially since the Q is such an offensive-minded league and defensive play is Letang's weak spot (as we all saw in his 7 games), I would have thought that RS would at least give him a half-season in the AHL, otherwise he may develop as another Gonchar, completely one-dimensional.
The talk is though that Letang really improved his D this season.

These awards perhaps doesn´t say everything but should say something.

2007-04-04 * 2006-07 Season - Trophy Butch Bouchard (best defenseman)
Kristopher Letang, Val-d'Or

2007-04-04 * 2006-07 Season - Trophy Kevin Lowe (best defensive defenseman)

2007-04-04 * 2006-07 Season - Trophy Paul Dumont (Personnality of the year)

Still I agree that Letang shouldn´t be rushed and it´s a huge step to take for a 20 year old defenseman. Definitly one of the more interesting guys to watch in the camp.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Teppo Numminen would make a great #5 to play with / mentor Letang.