Can anyone confirm this for me...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Can anyone confirm this for me...

Post by Kovy27 »

Since the NHL has a ridiculous scheduling system..

Our Western Conference opponents next year will be:

Pacific Division - at Home
Northwest Division - on the Road
Central Division - We won't see
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Can anyone confirm this for me...

Post by DelPen »

Kovy27 wrote:Since the NHL has a ridiculous scheduling system..

That's what makes sense looking at the past two seasons. But then again, this is the NHL, so who knows?
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

I think it's ridiculous that we don't play the Blue Jackets more often. The geography could make for a rivalry
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

i hope thats how it is too. maybe i can go to a nucks/pens game.
PenguinDouger

Post by PenguinDouger »

K2 wrote:I think it's ridiculous that we don't play the Blue Jackets more often. The geography could make for a rivalry
K2, I couldn't agree with you more. They're no more than about three hours apart from each other and close enough to get a rivalry going. It's sad that they don't attempt to get all divisions in the schedule for every team each year.

Is the problem that the league is too big (referencing another thread) or there are too few games that are in the system? I don't want to go too far in this since the other thread has discussion over expansion. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

PenguinDouger wrote:Is the problem that the league is too big (referencing another thread) or there are too few games that are in the system? I don't want to go too far in this since the other thread has discussion over expansion. ;)
The problem is that some jagoff decided we needed to play EIGHT games against the teams in our division and FOUR against everyone else in the confrence.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:
PenguinDouger wrote:Is the problem that the league is too big (referencing another thread) or there are too few games that are in the system? I don't want to go too far in this since the other thread has discussion over expansion. ;)
The problem is that some jagoff decided we needed to play EIGHT games against the teams in our division and FOUR against everyone else in the confrence.
If you reduce the number of intradivision games to 6 that leaves 8 games to make up.

So we could to 6 in the division: 24 games
4 in the conference: 40 games

Now for the other conference, still have a rotation but we do a home and home vs one division then visit one and then host one for 20 games

This brings us back to an 84 game season.
Erin

Post by Erin »

I hate this scheduling thing. They forget about fans that support teams in other areas of the U.S. I'd love for the Pens to play the Wild again!!
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we don't see every team at least once.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Well, with the number of teams in the league now, it's not exactly easy to come up with a balanced schedule for each team with the right ratio of intradivision and intraconference games to make all the groupings of teams meaningful and still playing every team in the league.

I'm of the school of thought that you should play the teams in your division more than other teams. It just makes sense. The teams in your division are closer in proximity which makes them more natural rivals and when first place in a division means something you should have to go through your division to get it. And when all the teams in a conference are competing against each other for a playoff spot, you should face those teams more than the teams in the other conference who aren't directly competing with you.

Given that, I think every team has to play the teams in the same conference but different divisions the same number of times as other teams to keep things fair. Given the point system in the NHL, things stay pretty close now so you've got to keep the schedules balanced to keep things fair.

So how can you make a schedule that works? DelPen's idea is the only one that really works but it also includes adding games to the schedule. Of course, many critics complain because the season is too long. I'm sure there is an overlap between those that say that and those that also complain because every team doesn't play every team. I just don't think you can win here. There's a reason the schedule is set up the way it is and that's because with the way the league is set up there's no easy solution. The only real way is to create an unbalanced schedule and I don't like that idea with the way the playoff system works in hockey.
tom_servo

Post by tom_servo »

K2 wrote:I think it's ridiculous that we don't play the Blue Jackets more often. The geography could make for a rivalry
Geography also happens to place Columbus in the western half of the league. So what can you do?

I would like to see every team in the league at least twice a year, but that probably wouldn't make it a rivalry. They would need to reconceptualize the conference system to make it work.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

tom_servo wrote:
Geography also happens to place Columbus in the western half of the league. So what can you do?

I would like to see every team in the league at least twice a year, but that probably wouldn't make it a rivalry. They would need to reconceptualize the conference system to make it work.
How about if we trade the west NJ for Columbus? ;)
Angry Skating Pen w scarf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Angry Skating Pen w scarf »

Northwest Division - on the Road......yeah baby, road trips to western Canada!!!!!

And who is coming to Colorado?????
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

fletch wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

I like the 8 games as it makes for more of a rivalry and makes those games crucial to win.
I won't argue with the thought process behind that (and I do agree to a certain extent) but wouldn't six games do that just fine? I think so.

I guess my problem is like this past season when the Pens played the Isles three or four times in a two week span - that's just ridiculous.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

fletch wrote:If the league expands to 32 teams as they will and should, Id change scheduling to

6x3=18 -division games
2x15=30- conference games
16x2=32 other conference
2=regional rivalry
Sweet, 4 games against Columbus, our "regional rival" every year. :roll:

Not to mention, there wont be 18 teams in each conference, as you are proposing.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Sweet, 4 games against Columbus, our "regional rival" every year. :roll:
:lol:

Personally, I think if the NHL does expand...it will bring a set up like baseball does with it's schedule. We won't see all the teams on the West Side, and vice versa.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'd rather see 2 conferences, 2 divisions, and this will not happen, but 2 less teams

One year North Division in West plays North in the East, next year North Plays South and so on.

6X6 Division games = 36
7X4 Against the other division = 28
7X2 Against other conference = 14

78 games

And you can add 2 or 4 rivalry games if you want.

actually id love to see the first and last game of the season be rivalry games. One year one team goes home first the next year the other team goes home first.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

That looks right to me.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Kovy27 wrote:I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we don't see every team at least once.
I am in full agreement, playing division foes eight times is a bit much, five or six IMO would be about right.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

fletch wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
fletch wrote:If the league expands to 32 teams as they will and should, Id change scheduling to

6x3=18 -division games
2x15=30- conference games
16x2=32 other conference
2=regional rivalry
Sweet, 4 games against Columbus, our "regional rival" every year. :roll:

Not to mention, there wont be 18 teams in each conference, as you are proposing.
6 games time 3 teams. If the league expands to 32 it will be divisions of four like the NFL. Recount.
So are you saying we play our division 8 times? 6 in the division and 2 in the conference games? Because if we play the division 6 times, there are only 12 teams left in the conference left, not 15.