Another horrible call

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MaddenFollower

Another horrible call

Post by MaddenFollower »

In the Rangers game that just ended a few minutes ago the officials made another horrible call and screwed Buffalo. Daniel Briere raps the puck around and the puck clearly goes over the line before Lundqvist gets his pad over in time. The replay shows white space between his pads and the red line. This cost Buffalo the chance to send the game into OT and now all momentum is on the side of the Rangers.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

The thing is, the puck didn't clearly go over the line. I thought I saw it go barely over, but it's damn near impossible to tell with Lundqvist's pad in the way. Sabres fans might not like it, but it's the right call under the circumstances.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Another horrible call

Post by DelPen »

MaddenFollower wrote:In the Rangers game that just ended a few minutes ago the officials made another horrible call and screwed Buffalo. Daniel Briere raps the puck around and the puck clearly goes over the line before Lundqvist gets his pad over in time. The replay shows white space between his pads and the red line. This cost Buffalo the chance to send the game into OT and now all momentum is on the side of the Rangers.
You're seeing things.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Another horrible call

Post by Kovy27 »

DelPen wrote:
MaddenFollower wrote:In the Rangers game that just ended a few minutes ago the officials made another horrible call and screwed Buffalo. Daniel Briere raps the puck around and the puck clearly goes over the line before Lundqvist gets his pad over in time. The replay shows white space between his pads and the red line. This cost Buffalo the chance to send the game into OT and now all momentum is on the side of the Rangers.
You're seeing things.
Actually if you look real close...near the back of the pad...it looks like a black disc edge....but it could have been a strap...

pretty inconclusive to me....and I want the Sabres to win.
TRazzy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by TRazzy66 »

Did anyone see the replay in HD? I dont know if it would have mattered, but it might have cleaned up that image a bit. I saw it on a non-hd channel, and it was very "grainy," especially when they blew the image up.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

It was more than likely a goal. The thing is there was NO REPLAY that showed the puck over the line...therefore the call in the ice BY RULE had to stand.

If it was called a goal, it wouldn't have been overturned either. Not enough evidence on the replay.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

trazzy66 wrote:Did anyone see the replay in HD? I dont know if it would have mattered, but it might have cleaned up that image a bit. I saw it on a non-hd channel, and it was very "grainy," especially when they blew the image up.
That's how I saw what looked like the puck sorta show itself under his pad....but it was really hard to see if it was the puck or a strap...since his straps are dark blue.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'd be willing to bet that it was a goal, but it was the right call.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I understand that they can't have the camera directly over the line because the crossbar in the way, but wouldn't it make more sense to have it in front of the line so you could see plays like this. THere is nothing gained by having it behind the line.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'm 99.9% sure it was a goal, that being said, nothing on the replay was conclusive enough, IMO to prove that.

So the call on the ice has to stand.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I understand that they can't have the camera directly over the line because the crossbar in the way, but wouldn't it make more sense to have it in front of the line so you could see plays like this. THere is nothing gained by having it behind the line.
i would think the goalie would block most of the line if it were in front. i think the net cam should be near the crossbar, up higher on the back of the net
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

regardless of whether or not you thought that was a goal, you have to admit that was an impossible call.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

common sense says the puck goes over the line. however, if you claim you saw white between the puck and goal line, you're nuts. the refs/war room, sadly, can't use common sense and have to go by what's presented to them on video, which did not show the puck completely over the line.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by demondg1 »

My problem with the call was that on at least 2 occasions this year, Penguins opponent have been awarded goals on far less conclusive calls than that. It seems to me that the video goal judge has been notoriously inconsistent.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

skullman80 wrote:I'm 99.9% sure it was a goal, that being said, nothing on the replay was conclusive enough, IMO to prove that.

So the call on the ice has to stand.
THen I go back to game 1 with sens; how come
Sidney's goal did not count? Devorski called
it a goal...Toronto had no conclusive view of kicking motion.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

trazzy66 wrote:Did anyone see the replay in HD? I dont know if it would have mattered, but it might have cleaned up that image a bit. I saw it on a non-hd channel, and it was very "grainy," especially when they blew the image up.
I did, and it was just as inconclusive. The correct call was made, and I, too, want Buffalo to win. But there was no clear view of the puck over the line. The way it happened, I think it went in, but you cannot see it totally over the line. Thinking it is in is not enough. The War Garage has to be sure. And they weren't, so they waved it off. Good call, IMO.
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

There is no way to call that a goal based on replay. King Henrik flashed his pad out just as the puck got to the very edge of crossing the line completely. There is a moment where it appears to be just about over, then his pad obscures the view as he drags his toe out.

Did it ever actually travel that last centimeter and cross? Probably. Did we SEE it? No.

No goal. Buffalo has to play better, because the Rangers have a LOT of talent and speed.

How good is Shanahan? How good has Jagr been? The Rangers are in this and making Buffalo doubt what their fans seem to believe was an entitlement to a Cup after last year's run and the disputed goal in the finals some years back.

The Rangers have 2 great players, a lot of skill, good role players, an underated defensive system and a great goalie. Buffalo could be down 3-1 very easily in this series.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Idoit40fans wrote:I understand that they can't have the camera directly over the line because the crossbar in the way, but wouldn't it make more sense to have it in front of the line so you could see plays like this. THere is nothing gained by having it behind the line.
Cameras are so small nowadays that they could put the cameras right inside the posts, on the goal line to see shots like that. I think it would be pretty cool to see too.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The Snapshot wrote:There is no way to call that a goal based on replay. King Henrik flashed his pad out just as the puck got to the very edge of crossing the line completely. There is a moment where it appears to be just about over, then his pad obscures the view as he drags his toe out.

Did it ever actually travel that last centimeter and cross? Probably. Did we SEE it? No.

No goal. Buffalo has to play better, because the Rangers have a LOT of talent and speed.

How good is Shanahan? How good has Jagr been? The Rangers are in this and making Buffalo doubt what their fans seem to believe was an entitlement to a Cup after last year's run and the disputed goal in the finals some years back.

The Rangers have 2 great players, a lot of skill, good role players, an underated defensive system and a great goalie. Buffalo could be down 3-1 very easily in this series.
You are right about Buffalo needing to play better. briere was given a gift of an opportunity by a rare mental mistake by Lundqvist. 99.999999% of the time he doesn't try to play the puck like he did.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

you can see the puck in a smidge, Henrik's leg/skate over the goal line.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I agree with the sentiments of it being a goal, but understand why the war garage called what it called. It was inconclusive (video-wise), but their should be some logic/assumption of puck movement that would assume that it was across the line. tough luck for buffaslug. if this wouldve happened to the pens, this board would be steaming.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

penny lane wrote:Image

Maybe the front of the puck is over the line, maybe, but how you can tell it's completely over the line and in, even by a smidge, is projecting your thoughts into the argument of a black and white issue. No one saw the puck go over the line. Conjecture is fine when there's those cases where the puck is under a guys pad and the entire pad is in the goal and it gets sweeped bqack out under the pad so you never see the puck cross the line. In this case you see the puck the entire time and in the replays you can never see seperation from the puck and the goal line.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

DelPen wrote:

Maybe the front of the puck is over the line, maybe, but how you can tell it's completely over the line and in, even by a smidge, is projecting your thoughts into the argument of a black and white issue. No one saw the puck go over the line. Conjecture is fine when there's those cases where the puck is under a guys pad and the entire pad is in the goal and it gets sweeped bqack out under the pad so you never see the puck cross the line. In this case you see the puck the entire time and in the replays you can never see seperation from the puck and the goal line.
I know Toronto needs to make decisions based on
more than just a woman's intuition. :lol:
Buffalo and review of goals not a good match. Once
series is over maybe a new clip will be shown.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

If anyone doubts that the Rangers are the chosen franchise for the NHL as far as TV ratings, they should run for office.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

That picture pretty much shows that it was over the line...the problem is...its a day too late. The one thing the NHL needs is more cameras...

They screwed Calgary in the Stanley Cup Finals...the same way.