KC Compromise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
goin2kc

KC Compromise

Post by goin2kc »

How about we agree to drop our offer for your team in exchange for a triple-A affiliation. Wilkes-Barre is a very small city (43K) while Kansas City would give your up and coming players a chance to play in a big time arena in front of large crowds. There are many teams that have affiliates significant distances from their city.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Yea but Wilkes barre is closer and has a devout fan following.

Wouldn't be worth it.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bill from turtle creek »

WBS sells out nearly every game and makes a huge profit for the organization. It's been an unbelievable success.
goin2kc

Post by goin2kc »

They average about 8,000 people per game. Kansas City would give you significantly more than that and you could generate some television and radio revenue that you probably wouldn't get otherwise. Just a thought.
Corban87

Re: KC Compromise

Post by Corban87 »

goin2kc wrote:How about we agree to drop our offer for your team in exchange for a triple-A affiliation. Wilkes-Barre is a very small city (43K) while Kansas City would give your up and coming players a chance to play in a big time arena in front of large crowds. There are many teams that have affiliates significant distances from their city.
How about we drop you off at the mental hospital.?.

You will get NOTHING from us, understand it, live it, love it!
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

As a Wilkes-Barre Season Ticket Holder for every year of the franchise's existence, I give you a big....

UP YOURS!

Besides that, they have a lease until 2019 at the Wachovia Arena in WBS.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

goin2kc wrote:They average about 8,000 people per game. Kansas City would give you significantly more than that and you could generate some television and radio revenue that you probably wouldn't get otherwise. Just a thought.
This isnt necessarily true. Wilkes-Barre your words " has 43k people". They average 8,000 a night, which is capacity. Albany, who is Colorado/Carolina's Minor league team plays in a market that is 2x as big as Wilkes-Barre, yet Albany only averages 3,000 a night. So there is a flaw in your hypothesis. Just because its a bigger market, doesnt mean more people will come. Anyway, no AHL team needs a home that has 18,000 seats. Nor could they afford to stay in a home with that many seats.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Even if the pens leave there will still be an AHL team in WBS. That team is a cash cow to whoever owns it. The Rangers might have problems with Hartford and getting a reasonable lease for the Wolfpack. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take over WBS if the Pens moce and they don't want to have their affiliate in NE PA.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I dare say that an AHL team in a small market has actually a better chance of drawing good crowds than one in a big market. To a town like Wilkes-Barre, having an AHL team is pretty special, but to people in KC maybe it would be just, well, a minor league team, why bother.

Just a thought, I could be wrong of course and I have no idea about the attendance figures in other AHL cities.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

DelPen wrote:Even if the pens leave there will still be an AHL team in WBS. That team is a cash cow to whoever owns it. The Rangers might have problems with Hartford and getting a reasonable lease for the Wolfpack. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take over WBS if the Pens moce and they don't want to have their affiliate in NE PA.
the Pittsburgh Penguins own the Wilkes-barre team. Its not just an affilliation. If they moved the team, there would be no team in WBS. Which brings a point from East' they have a lease until 2019, so the Baby Pens will be in WBS for atleast another 14 yrs.
Last edited by PensFanBryan on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by conforto45 »

maybe they want a Triple-A team because they know it will only be 5 years before they go bankrupt and leave..AGAIN