Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by BigMcK »

When Crate amps first came on the scene, I still remember the vendor that brought one to demo at the store where I worked. He had a 120 watt model (no longer housed in a 'crate') and used Marshall as comparison. I loved the saturated overdrive sound of Crate and how you didn't need to go to 11 to get that teeth rattling experience. It wasn't a great amp to play clean, ala Fender, but it wasn't meant to play nice. The store became a demo location and in the drum room stood a full stack Marshall and Crate. Luckily enough for me, I got to meet some of the day's best professional players when they came in to try out the new amp on the block.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My favorite combination that I ever owned was a 50 watt Fender Bassman + Ampeg V4 (4x12) cabinet.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

"Six feet from shoulder to shoulder and five feet from the ground,
Iron fists,
a head like a boulder - a friend like that is good to have around!"

Throwing in my pick from Foghat.

[youtube][/youtube]
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I know I've posted this before, but I want to cling to the last few days of summer

[youtube][/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

BigMcK wrote:When Crate amps first came on the scene, I still remember the vendor that brought one to demo at the store where I worked. He had a 120 watt model (no longer housed in a 'crate') and used Marshall as comparison. I loved the saturated overdrive sound of Crate and how you didn't need to go to 11 to get that teeth rattling experience. It wasn't a great amp to play clean, ala Fender, but it wasn't meant to play nice. The store became a demo location and in the drum room stood a full stack Marshall and Crate. Luckily enough for me, I got to meet some of the day's best professional players when they came in to try out the new amp on the block.
I've been a crate man my whole life. The dx-2x12 was a solid amp. Very affordable too which is probably why I've used them my whole playing life.

Dream rig involves a mesa boogie triple rectifier coming out of 8 12" Marshall celestials. And an array of pedals of course.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Foghat was one of my first concerts. My dad and his friends rented a bus. Blue Oyster Cult was playing with them. It was a bunch of us kids and our dads. There were a lot of coolers of beer and what I thought were cigarettes at the time. There were cheap white plastic yard chairs for the seats and by the end of the show foghat was encouraging the party atmosphere. The dads ended up getting kicked out for getting everyone to throw the chairs into a giant pile. Oh memories!
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Until columbia mentioned them, I had never even heard of Foghat before. Not sure how that happened.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Gaucho wrote:Until columbia mentioned them, I had never even heard of Foghat before. Not sure how that happened.
Never heard?

[youtube][/youtube]
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I did, but didn't know it was Foghat. I sort of know the logo, though. A pal of mine owns a t-shirt with that lettering, except it says "Foucault".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
BigMcK wrote:When Crate amps first came on the scene, I still remember the vendor that brought one to demo at the store where I worked. He had a 120 watt model (no longer housed in a 'crate') and used Marshall as comparison. I loved the saturated overdrive sound of Crate and how you didn't need to go to 11 to get that teeth rattling experience. It wasn't a great amp to play clean, ala Fender, but it wasn't meant to play nice. The store became a demo location and in the drum room stood a full stack Marshall and Crate. Luckily enough for me, I got to meet some of the day's best professional players when they came in to try out the new amp on the block.
I've been a crate man my whole life. The dx-2x12 was a solid amp. Very affordable too which is probably why I've used them my whole playing life.

Dream rig involves a mesa boogie triple rectifier coming out of 8 12" Marshall celestials. And an array of pedals of course.
My practice amp was a Crate. Like 90% of my playing went through a little 2X8 combo, with that Rockman on the front end.

If you could only have three pedal fx, what would you take? And don't say one of those multi-effects boards like an ME-25. I mean single purpose pedals, like a ProCo RAT, Dunlop Wah, and an MXR Phase 90...... hey! Those are the three pedals I'd pick! I just randomly used them as the examples. How lucky is that?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I've never used single pedals outside of the Boss Metal Zone but I've had no need for that since getting my first POD XT Live 10 years ago. I couldn't even start to name pedals by model so I'll just say I would use a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah (okay I can name 1 brand and model...), delay, and an equalizer. If the equalizer doesn't count I'd take chorus. Chorus + Delay on leads is my sound.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Heard this on Under the Dome last night. Awesome cover:

[youtube][/youtube]
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

She reminds me of a young Johnette Napolitano
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So I currently have a ~ 5 year old (probably older) Line 6 Spider that I'm looking to upgrade. What should I be looking for?

And in terms of pedals I'd take, probably go with 1) Vox Big Bad Wah or Stevie Vai Bad Horsie 2) Moog Minifooger Drive Pedal (good distortion, plus a fuzz-like setting) 3) Whammy pedal (for **** and giggles)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

THE WHAMMY GOES ON THE GUITAR LIKE NATURE INTENDED
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Flanger!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

:wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Actually, now that I think about it I should swap out the Phase 90 for a Dunlop EVH Flanger. If 'Unchained' is supposed to be my theme music (and make no mistake, it is) then I should probably be able to play that song accurately.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

tifosi77 wrote:THE WHAMMY GOES ON THE GUITAR LIKE NATURE INTENDED
Well, when you don't have the bar (and I really want one), sacrifices must be made...

Also, guitars with bars cost money (at least, the one I would be considering). I also want a new amp. Decisions, decisions...
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So what do you play that is sans-a-bar? Currently I just have a cheapy Ibanez, I don't even know the model number. I had a Japan-built RG550 in high school and college that I sold for like $300 before I moved to Cali. Those suckers now sell for close to a grand on eBay. Really nostalgic for that axe, lots of blood and sweat in that instrument.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I've always hated the whammy bar. Nothing against people who use it but I never have. I never had a locking nut so that's probably why I never used one.

Speaking of locking parts on a guitar, if you don't use these you need to start:

I can change a single string in less than 60 seconds with these. I only have them on my ESP but I really should get them for my BC Rich as well.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

tifosi77 wrote:Actually, now that I think about it I should swap out the Phase 90 for a Dunlop EVH Flanger. If 'Unchained' is supposed to be my theme music (and make no mistake, it is) then I should probably be able to play that song accurately.
I remember when I discovered flange. I am totally self taught from the playing aspect all the way through gear and effects. The second I heard it I started to play Unchained and had an "Ah Ha!" moment.

Same thing happened when I discovered palm muting on accident.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I currently have this in black.

Looking to buy something like this or this.

I'd look somewhere else (brand-wise) for something a bit cheaper, but I love the 5-way selector switch.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I'd like to try building a guitar. I remember I had my parts all sorted and selected for a Warmouth body/neck build when I was like 22, but stuff kept cropping up and taking my money. And by 'stuff' I mean hockey.
MRandall25 wrote:I currently have this in black.
How do you like the sensor pickups? For some reason (and it may just be an aesthetic thing) I've always kind of had an aversion to them.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Gwar has a new lead singer, Vulvatron.