Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by columbia »

Troy Loney wrote:Is Kur Vile still in that band?
No.

Unrelated:
Spoiler:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I'm so pumped that The Faint have a new record coming out soon.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Troy Loney wrote:Is Kur Vile still in that band?
Nope, he isn't in it any longer. My bad.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

For you indie rock nerds in Philly, Slint is playing at the Union Transfer on May 1.
Matt Jencik from Pixsburgh, PA is again filling in on bass.

I never saw Slint when they actually existed, but did catch Bastro at DC Space. it was pretty hot.

[youtube][/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

First there was 14-year old Tina playing a near note-perfect cover of "Eruption"...... today I stumble across 8-year old Japanese girl Li-Sa playing "Scarified" by Racer X

[youtube][/youtube]
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Happy 70th, Diana.

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

You've heard of rare records before, but what Wu-Tang Clan is planning for its stealthy double album, The Wu–Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, is unprecedented. The legendary rap group will sell only one copy, encased in an engraved silver and nickel box. It will be very, very expensive.
It's actually a brilliant plan. When explaining the album to Forbes, the RZA spared no hyperbole.

"We're about to put out a piece of art like nobody else has done in the history of [modern] music," the legendary rapper said. "We're making a single-sale collector's item. This is like somebody having the scepter of an Egyptian king."
http://wudisciples.blogspot.com/2014/03 ... -copy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wu-Tang producers Cilvaringz and The RZA present the first ever private music album.
The music will only ever have one incarnation.

It will not be made available digitally or in any other existing mass format.

After touring the album at festivals, museums, exhibition spaces and galleries for the public as a one off experience, it will be sold exclusively to one buyer.

The music industry is in crisis. Creativity has become disposable and value has been stripped out.

Mass production and content saturation have devalued both our experience of music and our ability to establish its value.

Industrial production and digital reproduction have failed. The intrinsic value of music has been reduced to zero.

Contemporary art is worth millions by virtue of its exclusivity.

This album is a piece of contemporary art.
http://scluzay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Somewhere on the outskirts of Marrakech, Morocco, inside a vault housed beneath the shadow of the Atlas Mountains, there sits an engraved silver-and-nickel box with the potential to spawn a shift in the way music is consumed and monetized.

The lustrous container was handcrafted over the course of three months by British-Moroccan artist Yahya, whose works have been commissioned by royal families and business leaders around the world. Soon, it will contain a different sort of art piece: the Wu-Tang Clan’s double-album The Wu – Once Upon A Time In Shaolin, recorded in secret over the past few years.

Like the work of a master Impressionist, it will truly be one-of-a-kind—in lieu of a traditional major label or independent launch, the iconic hip-hop collective will make and sell just one copy of the album. And similar to a Monet or a Degas, the price tag will be a multimillion-dollar figure.

“We’re about to sell an album like nobody else sold it before,” says Robert “RZA” Diggs, the first Wu-Tang member to speak on record about Once Upon A Time In Shaolin, in an exclusive interview with FORBES. “We’re about to put out a piece of art like nobody else has done in the history of [modern] music. We’re making a single-sale collector’s item. This is like somebody having the scepter of an Egyptian king.”

Wu-Tang’s aim is to use the album as a springboard for the reconsideration of music as art, hoping the approach will help restore it to a place alongside great visual works–and create a shift in the music business, not to mention earn some cash, in the process. The one-of-a-kind launch will be a separate endeavor from the group’s 20th anniversary album, A Better Tomorrow, which is set for a standard commercial release this summer.

According to RZA and the album’s main producer Tarik “Cilvaringz” Azzougarh, a Morocco-based part of Wu-Tang’s extended family, the plan is to first take Once Upon A Time In Shaolin on a “tour” through museums, galleries, festivals and the like. Just like a high-profile exhibit at a major institution, there will be a cost to attend, likely in the $30-$50 range.

Visitors will go through heavy security to ensure that recording devices aren’t smuggled in; as an extra precaution, they’ll likely have to listen to the 128-minute album’s 31 songs on headphones provided by the venue. As Cilvaringz puts it: “One leak of this thing nullifies the entire concept.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalley ... ret-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is either going to be a genius move on their part or it's going to flop.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The entire concept is a flop.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Gaucho wrote:Happy 70th, Diana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Xb-4v2kuo
:thumb:

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Gaucho wrote:The entire concept is a flop.
I like the idea of it where it's basically one viewing at a set location where people are going to be monitored, so it's almost like it's more of an event vs somebody showing up for the music. Basically it will lure the biggest Wu fans out to the listening parties.

Problem is that it's 2014 and music leaks. I'm hoping this concept works out, but unfortunately this thing will most likely leak. Once this leaks, it will spread around the world in under 6 hrs and that once-exclusive ticket to a museum will be listed on eBay with hopes of the seller salvaging some of their money back.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

JS© wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The entire concept is a flop.
I like the idea of it where it's basically one viewing at a set location where people are going to be monitored, so it's almost like it's more of an event vs somebody showing up for the music. Basically it will lure the biggest Wu fans out to the listening parties.

Problem is that it's 2014 and music leaks. I'm hoping this concept works out, but unfortunately this thing will most likely leak. Once this leaks, it will spread around the world in under 6 hrs and that once-exclusive ticket to a museum will be listed on eBay with hopes of the seller salvaging some of their money back.
I think the idea is flawed. They confuse exclusivity with originality and quality. In that sense, it's not contemporary art at all. They seem to forget that hip hop is part of pop culture and their music therefore is supposed to be available, if not affordable. To me this is just a pompous publicity stunt.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hopefully the Staten Island clown will buy it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cre ... -1.1732454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Neutral Milk Hotel show last night was outstanding. Looking forward to seeing them again this summer in Chicago.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Obviously a /csb, but I had a good laugh over this. I ran the Merge Records 25th anniversary 25k on Saturday and had a guy compliment me on my tattoos at the Love Language after party. I went on a rant about wanting to punch a dude inside in the face for taking pictures of my tattoos from afar like a freakshow or something. The look of horror on his face confused me until I realized I'd just told Mac McCaughan of Superchunk/Merge that I was gonna knockout someone at a giant party he was personally responsible for.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

lol
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I'm soo glad I didn't get any tats back in the day.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Some pre-ZZ Top action for your Friday afternoon listening pleasure:

[youtube][/youtube]
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Shilpa Ray at Smiling Moose in April. Nice!
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not sure I agree with all of this, but it is interesting and certainly touches on several things I've discussed with friends in the past.

Reasserting the roots of Kraftwerk’s sound in African-American R&B and jazz reveals how the soul of electronic dance music is being throttled by the dead hand of the culture industry.
http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/ess ... usic-29686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Nothing says rock'n'roll like Metallica plates on a blue Passat.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Anyone going down to Stage AE April 18 to see the mighty Ghost BC? Incredible band with a 70s rock/stoner rock vibe. I splurged on the good seats second level at AE so im going stag.

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Hello Deftones fans....Chino Moreno has a new side band called Crosses. Here is a new song by them.

[youtube][/youtube]
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Anyone going down to Stage AE April 18 to see the mighty Ghost BC? Incredible band with a 70s rock/stoner rock vibe. I splurged on the good seats second level at AE so im going stag.

[youtube][/youtube]
The guitar riff in the verse sounds like the intro to:

[youtube][/youtube]