Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Steve McQueen’s Porsche 917 From ‘Le Mans’ is For Sale
http://www.supercompressor.com/rides/bu ... om-le-mans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite piece of trivia from that movie..... the camera car that captured on-track action actually finished the race P2 in class.
dodint wrote:Want to get a group buy together?
Former co-worker and I were trying to figure out how to make that work for a McLaren P1. The idea of a time-share car is a bit weird, but between us were able to put about $200 in the pot on the first day. I thought that was an encouraging start.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

dodint wrote:Want to get a group buy together?
I'd probably be able to contribute enough to be able to sit in it, start it, listen to it purr, shut it down and get out without putting it into gear, one time a year, on a Tuesday when it's raining in Bill Gates' garage since he has a known affinity for exotic Porsches. (Cough, 959, cough). Only him and his buddy were able to get the law changed to allow them to import such vehicles.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I hope Seinfeld buys it and it ends up on CiCGC.

I do not hope Leno buys it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Arrived at the airport just in time to find 2 cars left in the Bypass Aisle. The choice was between a Dodge Caravan or Dodge Challenger. Very nice lady next to me said since I was at the aisle first, the choice was mine. I told her that it really didn't matter to me as I was only going to drive a couple miles a day. She said she drives a minivan everyday and would love to actually drive a car for a few days. Doing the nice thing, I took the minivan and she left with the Challenger and a smile.

What I quickly found out is that minivans suck all of the fun of driving out of your body as soon as those sliding doors close.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Did it come with a neutering kit? While it was the honorable thing to do, Challenger vs a minivan? Ouch. And I agree driving one is a soul sucking experience.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

She was cute, in a 70's Stevie Nicks way. What'cha gonna do?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

Probably the same thing you did.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

Added bonus: No desire for jack rabbit starts at the light (fuel economy) and no speeding tickets (lightening of the wallet).

Maybe courts can add "must drive a minivan for xxx period" to the list of available punishments to those that are habitual speeders.

:-)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

If I can speed in a cargo van full of furniture I can speed in anything.

(By speed I mean +10 on I-95. It wasn't much for gunning it around town.)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If I were going to own an RV, it would look like this:
http://tinyhouseswoon.com/the-emerald-gypsy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

columbia wrote:If I were going to own an RV, it would look like this:

:thumb:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

dodint wrote:If I can speed in a cargo van full of furniture I can speed in anything.

+10 on 95 is right lane material.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

canaan wrote:
dodint wrote:If I can speed in a cargo van full of furniture I can speed in anything.

+10 on 95 is right lane material.
I'd say its 2nd from the right lane material due to the fact that at way too many parts of 95, the right lane becomes the fast lane.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

85mph in a Chevy Express full of couch is plenty, thanks.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

So not only did you get the minivan, you got the soul (and brake but you don't care on a rental) suckingest one around.

Once arrived at MSP to find... Only Caravans and Town and Countries. It was like a Hitchcock rental car movie. I got a hot red one.

Speaking of rental cars, important for me since my company encourages us to rent since it is cheaper than mileage usually for going out of town- National at PIT is implementing the Emerald Aisle. Love it.

Lady at the window last week had a Cruze and an Avenger. Meh-riffic.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

For about 1 month, I have been experiencing an annoying problem with the AC in my car (BMW). When I start the car and the AC kicks in, it emits really bad smell (almost like cow manure) for about 5-10 seconds. After that, the smell goes away, but the whole issue still bugs me a lot. I don't think I have done anything to cause it (other than instead of daily driving, I have been driving the car maybe twice/week on average). It does not matter where I start the car (home garage, outside...).

Has anyone ever experiences something similar? I will eventually take the car to a shop, but I will be able to do it in 14 days or so. In the meantime, is there any short-term fix (putting theAC on inside circulation, yelling at it... :) )?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I 've had the ac smell very mildewy on my VW for the first few minutes and I can only guess it's from water not draining properly somewhere is the system.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I had a skunk-like smell for a few months in my Accord when I'd start it. I don't think I killed a live one, but it's possible I may have ran over some road kill that got caught up somewhere I couldn't see.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Tomas wrote:For about 1 month, I have been experiencing an annoying problem with the AC in my car (BMW). When I start the car and the AC kicks in, it emits really bad smell (almost like cow manure) for about 5-10 seconds. After that, the smell goes away, but the whole issue still bugs me a lot. I don't think I have done anything to cause it (other than instead of daily driving, I have been driving the car maybe twice/week on average). It does not matter where I start the car (home garage, outside...).

Has anyone ever experiences something similar? I will eventually take the car to a shop, but I will be able to do it in 14 days or so. In the meantime, is there any short-term fix (putting theAC on inside circulation, yelling at it... :) )?
Answer: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Nice work, Firebird. I love forums, especially when it comes to BMW stuff. I've learned a ton at e46fanatics and a ton of others. There are even multiple forums for my E28, still.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

In short here is the solution to stopping that from happening:
One way to fight this is to turn off the A/C a few minutes before your trip is about to end, but keep the fan running. This will dry the ducts, reduce the bacteria/mold growth and keep the smell low.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Should probably still look at that duct when you get a chance.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Factorial wrote:In short here is the solution to stopping that from happening:
One way to fight this is to turn off the A/C a few minutes before your trip is about to end, but keep the fan running. This will dry the ducts, reduce the bacteria/mold growth and keep the smell low.
:thumb: Learned this from my grandfather when I first started driving. It does seem to work.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Thanks a lot for all the great answers!!

Learning something every day. I have never had this problem before, and the car is 5 years old...