Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by mac5155 »

Well, I'm going from a 5.0 f150 that we try to never drive. I'm looking to tow stuff probably 3 or 4 days a month, for like 20 miles max.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Okay, over the past couple days I've noticed my car is idling sometimes 1k faster than normal idle speed. Normal is 800-900, and I'm routinely seeing 1500-1900 now. No warning lights, engine temp is normal, will do it with the clutch open and closed, and I'm only about 700 miles removed from my last oil change. It doesn't do it all the time, and in fact the only running condition that I can identify as common between all the instances when it has happened is that it has been after car has been running a while and engine temp stabilized.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

What kind of car Tif? Without knowing that, and it might not even narrow me down anymore, my SWAG is mass air flow sensor went bad or the base idle adjustment screw got bumped. Those are the easy to fix ideas, worst case, and very unlikely is ECU going bad.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

'01 Toyota Celica GT, 5-spd manual, 125k miles. Engine was rebuilt and clutch about four years ago, so the powerplant only has about 50k miles on it. Don't remember how many of the ancillary components were replaced.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Hmm, so only after warm up... Good news is in my opinion it's nothing major. Bad news is it's going to be a PITA to find. What I think is happening is that you have a air leak around or through the throttle body, allowing air that is unmetered into the combustion chamber. The computer thinks it's getting x amount of air and tells the injectors to squirt y amount of fuel into the cylinder to maintain a preset air/fuel ratio. The problem is you're actually getting x+? amount of air now and the computer is only injecting y amount of fuel still, which throws of the a/f ratio, causing a lean condition, which causes high idle. Check any rubber hoses, vacuum lines around the throttle body to look for sings of dry rot, cracking, looseness, etc. if nothing found, get a bottle of starting fluid and LIGHTLY spray in very short bursts all around the throttle body and hoses leading to it. If you hear an increase in rpm, you've found the general area of the leak. Do not spray near the air filter. If this yields nothing, bad throttle body seals, that don't seal as tightly anymore seal even less when the metal around them gets heated up and the bore they reside in expands. The seals are replaceable, but are evil little buggers to do, I'd go junkyarding for a used throttle body and replace the whole thing if one can be found, it SHOULD be easy to do. Only other option, AND the most expensive probability is the mass air flow sensor, easy to replace, but not cheap, junkyard used if possible. If that doesn't do it, ecu, but as said before, highly unlikely. Hope this helps.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

OutofFoil wrote:Good news is in my opinion it's nothing major. Bad news is it's going to be a PITA to find. What I think is happening is that you have a air leak around or through the throttle body, allowing air that is unmetered into the combustion chamber...
I'd agree that it sounds like an air/fuel issue. I'd also be sure to visually check the air cleaner box itself for any cracks / leaks.
OutofFoil wrote:I'd go junkyarding for a used throttle body and replace the whole thing if one can be found, it SHOULD be easy to do. Only other option, AND the most expensive probability is the mass air flow sensor, easy to replace, but not cheap, junkyard used if possible. If that doesn't do it, ecu, but as said before, highly unlikely. Hope this helps.
http://www.car-part.com is great for this. Two Pittsburgh area companies I've dealt with and would recommend have the parts in stock. All Foreign Auto Parts in Pittsburgh has a throttle body for $35 and a MAF sensor for $15. Henderson Foreign Auto Parts in Scottdale, Pa has the ECU for $45.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Thumbs up to Henderson. Within walking distance from Casa de mac
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Would be willing to help you out, getting the part and sending, if needed
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Anyone catch the top gear that aired last night? Off road race through Arizona. That jeep brute...drool. $132k
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

http://jalopnik.com/this-1980s-autocros ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone found a 1986 VHS of a small autocross race...complete with commercials and all:

[youtube][/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Wow, OutofFoil and Willie Kool - thanks for the pro tips. Didn't happen at all today, so I'll wait til the weekend see what I can see.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Tesla has released every single one of their patents in the hopes of stimulating activity in the third party battery charging sector. That is pretty incredible.

All Our Patent Are Belong To You

(Yes, that's the actual title of the official press release)
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

Agreed tif, that is pretty awesome and unheard of. He gained a lot of respect from me by doing this.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Well when you dont have dealership costs cutting into your profit margins... :pop:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Car owners need service centers, not dealers.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I used the USAA buying service the last time and will stick with that.
They delivered it to me at work and I signed the paperwork in the car.

Easy as ordering a pizza.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I don't disagree. I'm just sayin.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

columbia wrote:I used the USAA buying service the last time and will stick with that.
They delivered it to me at work and I signed the paperwork in the car.

Easy as ordering a pizza.
Same, USAA buying service ftw. Last month on a Sunday night we sat down and found the car, financing, warranty all in about 45 minutes. And after all was said and done, got a letter from USAA reminding us that we bought during a promotional period so our intrest rate got knocked down. Win.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Any Camaro owners on the board?

GM recalled every Camaro built after 2010.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/4523471831.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Selling the majestic Purrari... asking 380k OBO ... anything over 380 goes to charity, so get those bids in! (Toronto Humane Society) .... comes with Ipod full of nyancat songs. AND we will personally invite the buyer to Toronto to come and film a "farewell purrari" coffee run with me. :D (so basicly it comes with a free tim hortons coffee that youll have to pay for anyway)

we will ship this thing anywhere in north america. um... also... car stuff... it has like 6500 miles on it... purrs like a nyancat. and can be fully factory restored (wrap removed) if you're a [nyancat].
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

You lost me at automatic transmission.

Is that Paul Scheer?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Steve McQueen’s Porsche 917 From ‘Le Mans’ is For Sale
http://www.supercompressor.com/rides/bu ... om-le-mans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by OutofFoil »

columbia wrote:Steve McQueen’s Porsche 917 From ‘Le Mans’ is For Sale
http://www.supercompressor.com/rides/bu ... om-le-mans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wish...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Want to get a group buy together?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

dodint wrote:Want to get a group buy together?
I can kick in enough for someone to let me wash the tires.