Fantasy Hockey Forum

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Re: Fantasy Hockey Forum

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Avyran wrote:
Josh Yohe wrote:Looks like Fleury vs. Jones tonight. Quick still on the ice. Jones off.
Thanks
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Awesome
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Chased backup goalies all week, dropped Cam Talbot who allowed eleventy seven goals in two games for Eddie Lack right at the cutoff yesterday. Won my week in the shootout.

I'm basically going to apply to some NHL teams, that is going to look great on my resume.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I could really use some thoughts on Evgeni Kuznetsov. I own him in my two money leagues, and I am about ready to start seeing what I can get in both. I've watched on a few occasions this year and just see nothing exemplary. I missed the WJC where he was a beast too, so I have nothing positive to go on here. So that I don't undersell him, I'd love to hear what a reasonable projection for him might be over the next 1-5 years. Is there a player comp that I can use to compare for fantasy value purposes?

Contrasting the above situation with Mikael Granlund, for example, I am in a similar spot with Granlund, but I really like what I see when I watch him. Is Kuz just buried on Trotz' depth chart this year? If so, that's scary too--Trotz isn't going anywhere.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'll tackle this question tonight.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Kraftster wrote:I could really use some thoughts on Evgeni Kuznetsov. I own him in my two money leagues, and I am about ready to start seeing what I can get in both. I've watched on a few occasions this year and just see nothing exemplary. I missed the WJC where he was a beast too, so I have nothing positive to go on here. So that I don't undersell him, I'd love to hear what a reasonable projection for him might be over the next 1-5 years. Is there a player comp that I can use to compare for fantasy value purposes?

Contrasting the above situation with Mikael Granlund, for example, I am in a similar spot with Granlund, but I really like what I see when I watch him. Is Kuz just buried on Trotz' depth chart this year? If so, that's scary too--Trotz isn't going anywhere.
Kuznetsov is talented. But he's young and playing a little timid. It doesn't help that a similarly skilled but tougher player in Andre Burakovsky is outplaying him. Kuznetsov belongs in this league...but right now, he's in a tough spot. 4th line and 2nd power play basically. That'll change over the course of the year, but he's obviously not feeling it right out of the box. I don't really feel comfortable making a prediction until I see more of him in the NHL...but his shifts are so infrequent, it's tough to tell almost...I've watched my block of Caps games for now, so I probably won't see them regularly for a little bit, maybe by then he'll find a little more confidence...

Granlund will be buoyed when Minnesota's power play gets off the mat...Kuznetsov doesn't have that luxury, as Washington's power play is already hot without him...Kuznetsov might not be a this year thing...but I wouldn't sell low on him quite yet, he can't be worth much, so you might as well ride it out. Like Morozov, Korolyuk, Chistov, etc. before him, he belongs in this league, it's just a matter of finding the right fit for him...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Need some advice:

14 team roto league. I have held down first place for most of the season. I took over 1st from playerX, and recently playerX and I have been swapping back and forth for first place for the last few days. Quite honestly, I think it is a two team race between X and I. Everyone else is 20-30 points back and has never been a threat.

My weak areas are Assists (I'm dead last, 1 point out of 14), PP Points (7 out of 14) and Faceoff Wins (9 of 14). I lead in PIM, Hits, 2nd in SV%, +/-, and tied for 1st in Shutouts.

PlayerZ near the bottom of the pack has put up that he needs a goalie, and listed all positions available back in trade. PlayerZ has Sidney Crosby. I have Quick, Bishop, and Martin Jones as my goalies.

Should I try and give up Quick and a Center (I have Backes, Sutter, Plekanec, Kelly, and Dubinsky on IR) for Crosby and one of his awful goalies (Mike Smith, Khodobin, Emery). Goalie is one of my strong areas, but Crosby would bring up my Assists, FW, and PPP.

Not sure I can even get him, but want to hear feedback whether you think it is worth it to try and improve those areas, and possibly risk lowering my points from goalie position (5th in Ws, 3rd in GAA, 2nd SV%, tied 1st SOs)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

My roto experience is not as great as my h2h, but I think it's too early for a trade like that. I think you stand to lose just as much in goaltending cats as you stand to gain in the weaker offensive cats that you listed, and I think goalie stats are generally going to be harder to come by (especially in a 14-team) than assists, PPP, and FOW.

The other problem is that those goalie options are pretty miserable. I'd rather see you buy low on someone like Schneider for Bishop (since you have Jones, I'd lean towards hanging onto Quick, I think) and get an A, PPP, FOW upgrade in the deal as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Kraftster wrote:My roto experience is not as great as my h2h, but I think it's too early for a trade like that. I think you stand to lose just as much in goaltending cats as you stand to gain in the weaker offensive cats that you listed, and I think goalie stats are generally going to be harder to come by (especially in a 14-team) than assists, PPP, and FOW.

The other problem is that those goalie options are pretty miserable. I'd rather see you buy low on someone like Schneider for Bishop (since you have Jones, I'd lean towards hanging onto Quick, I think) and get an A, PPP, FOW upgrade in the deal as well.
Thanks for the advice. That was the way I was leaning, staying put. I found a trade analyzer and projections, and in the long run I would probably come out on the short end. Crosby would increase my standings in all weak areas, but the drop in goalie categories would more than offset it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Started Luongo on Monday, Anderson and Lehtonen last night.

Weekly GAA is currently at 0.32, save% is somewhere near .988, with 2 shutouts. :shock:

Would it be bad form to bench my goalies for the rest of the week? I have the three qualifying appearances, so my stats would be locked in. If I lose one category (wins), I'm not really concerned.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bad form? No. Why would you willingly decrease your chances of winning. You met all the requirements, your goalies killed it. Don't let them play again because it won't improve your stats in all reasonable likelihood...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Bench them dudes.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I would bench them for now. You probably win those three categories, and you can wait till saturday to see what you can do about the W category.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I always play everyone i can. But i know thats not popular. Id be going for max wins and assume i wont dissolve the cushion in the ratio stats.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Idoit40fans wrote:I always play everyone i can. But i know thats not popular. Id be going for max wins and assume i wont dissolve the cushion in the ratio stats.
Says the one tanking harder than the Pens for Crosby. =p
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Beveridge wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I always play everyone i can. But i know thats not popular. Id be going for max wins and assume i wont dissolve the cushion in the ratio stats.
Says the one tanking harder than the Pens for Crosby. =p
Meh...this will maybe be the second time i miss the playoffs. My luck turned this year after completely dominating last year's regular season(to a commanding second place because kraftster dominated more).
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Hugo Stiglitz »

So after all the years I've finally started doing fantasy hockey, but the daily kind. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the site in here or not.

Anyone have any advice in building a daily lineup? I usually do four or five lineups and my downfall is not so much picking the right players, I'm good at that, it's combining them in the right line up.

For example, in one lineup I may have a mix of Rangers, Penguins and Canucks, then Flyers, Hawks and Habs in another, but only the Penguin players produce in one lineup and Hawks in the other, so while I picked good players, I didn't combine them in the same lineup.

Is there any kind of science to this or is it really just luck?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I need some scouting reports on Tommy Wingels. Matt Duchene is killing me, and I've been offered Wingels and Perron for Duchene and Kuznetsov. No, I do not believe that Wingels is anything close to Matt Duchene, but his peripherals could make him a comparable player, and I expect the Perron over Kuz upgrade will be a large one. I am looking to win the championship this year.

My primary inquiry is this: Is he really a 17:00 ESTOI/1:40 PPTOI player on a good NHL team? He's been that this year. If he can continue to hit at this rate while being a 45-55 point player, which it seems like he can be if he continues to get this level of opportunity, then he closes the gap by quite a bit on Duchene. His hit edge over Duchene is good for about 15-20 points. He's 1.5X the player Duchene is so far this year.

I don't know, it's probably a stretch, but my best shot is this season, so I'm open to thinking about it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I liked Wingels when he first came in, I thought he'd be a good third line player. Here, he's in a scoring role with Marleau and Juicy...he does the dirty work for them in the corners, gets to the net and the whole bit...he's a versatile player, he can do a lot of things...their depth will be challenged with Thornton out...so the focus will be on stopping Marleau-Couture-Wingels...but he's a good player, I'm not sure that he's this good, but he is a good utility man...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I'm really torn on this one and could use some thoughts. Going for it this year and am dealing with a massively underperforming Matt Duchene.

I've been offered Perron, Wingels, and Hudler for Duchene, Kuznetsov, and Moulson. If Perron's recent stretch is any indication, all three players offer significant upgrades for this season. Importantly, the league counts hits, making Wingels a real player and hopefully helping Perron to close the gap on Duchene if Duchene bounces back next year.

If Perron's hit pace this year is for real, then he can make up about 10 points on Duchene through hits. Can Perron play within 10 points of Duchene next year if Duchene is able to erase this season completely with a fresh start? I am very hesitant to sell on Duchene right now, but getting the other two massive upgrades and a guy who could really soar might be too much to pass up.

I haven't been able to watch much lately. Is there a shot Perron can keep PP1 time when Hornqvist returns? Next year?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'll go more into this later. But careful for now, Wingels got pretty hurt last night it looked like...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Perron being a righty helps his chances of staying on PP1, I would think.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Over/under for Dubnyk starts next year: 40?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Tough call. If he's in Minnesota, I guess over...
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

meow wrote:Perron being a righty helps his chances of staying on PP1, I would think.
Something, something, Tocchet.