What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by pens_CT »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:38 pm About that tweet saying Pens might trade Jake by tomorrow evening - Dubas better not be selling short here! I know we are all eager and excited to see what happens, but Dubas needs to play this Guentzel deal until the deadline! He needs to make teams sweat! No reason to move Jake before the deadline Friday.
That could also blow up in your face. I'm sure that he's talked numerous times to the interested teams. If you get an acceptable deal, you make it end of story.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Rossi was on with Madden this afternoon. He said that he doesn't have any actual sources on this (does he ever?), but his gut feeling is that Guentzel goes to Vancouver. He said that based on his knowledge of Rutherford, Rutherford loves Guentzel, and once he decides he wants a player, he's willing to pay what it takes to get him.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 pm Rossi was on with Madden this afternoon. He said that he doesn't have any actual sources on this (does he ever?), but his gut feeling is that Guentzel goes to Vancouver. He said that based on his knowledge of Rutherford, Rutherford loves Guentzel, and once he decides he wants a player, he's willing to pay what it takes to get him.
I'm not a Rossi fan, but I agree with him on this.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Say what you want about JR, but he does do things his way. His way robbed us of a positive future but brought us a fun past. If the goal for the Canucks is to win it all at the expense of almost any hope of winning in about 5 years from now, then they should go for it. Canada in general will be over the moon.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:00 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:38 pm About that tweet saying Pens might trade Jake by tomorrow evening - Dubas better not be selling short here! I know we are all eager and excited to see what happens, but Dubas needs to play this Guentzel deal until the deadline! He needs to make teams sweat! No reason to move Jake before the deadline Friday.
That could also blow up in your face. I'm sure that he's talked numerous times to the interested teams. If you get an acceptable deal, you make it end of story.
I would say moving Jake first is probably the way to go. The reason being...I think the Penguins may have to utilize their retained salary slots. Teams can only retain salary on 3 players. We are already retaining salary on Petry this year and next year.

I think it would be wise to determine first if we need to retain on Jake, and if yes, chart a course around how to potentially utilize the last slot.

2nd part is, I'd rather go early then wait until the last minute, only to have the deal blow up and be left holding the bag. There's always a story every other year about teams trying to complete a deal and not getting it into registry on time. Dubas can't mess this up.

3rd, Jake is the main piece. I think determining what we get for Jake may help determine what he may ask for in return for a Smith, Eller, Ned, etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Tico Rick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 am
largegarlic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 pm Rossi was on with Madden this afternoon. He said that he doesn't have any actual sources on this (does he ever?), but his gut feeling is that Guentzel goes to Vancouver. He said that based on his knowledge of Rutherford, Rutherford loves Guentzel, and once he decides he wants a player, he's willing to pay what it takes to get him.
I agree with this as well. Dubas just has to get the right pieces back. Vancouver fans don't really want to see Hoglander traded, but I think he might be necessary.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:30 am
Tico Rick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 am
I agree with this as well. Dubas just has to get the right pieces back. Vancouver fans don't really want to see Hoglander traded, but I think he might be necessary.
If Hoglander is the piece that is holding this thing up that is not good news... for either team.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:11 am Say what you want about JR, but he does do things his way. His way robbed us of a positive future but brought us a fun past. If the goal for the Canucks is to win it all at the expense of almost any hope of winning in about 5 years from now, then they should go for it. Canada in general will be over the moon.
Yeah, maybe this is biased by my desire to get an exorbitant return for Guentzel, but this seems like a year for Vancouver to go all in. They're in the race for the President's Trophy, and while there are a bunch of good teams among the contenders, there don't seem to be any real juggernauts that are prohibitive favorites for the Cup. When are they going to get a better chance than this? It seems like it's Rutherford's MO to load up as much as he can in these situations.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

One word of caution: I wouldn't freak out at this point that Vegas and Florida, both rumored as part of the handful of teams interested in Jake, made moves already.

I take that as a sign that either they thought the price was too high, or Dubas is already heavily negotiating with another team and they were told to move on to their next target.

I'd be worried if this gets to about 2pm and still no trade for Jake.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:59 pm One word of caution: I wouldn't freak out at this point that Vegas and Florida, both rumored as part of the handful of teams interested in Jake, made moves already.

I take that as a sign that either they thought the price was too high, or Dubas is already heavily negotiating with another team and they were told to move on to their next target.

Oilers looking at Henrique. That would be another suitor off the table if true.
Badamski9

Post by Badamski9 »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:09 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:07 pm
Would be wild if we traded Jake for 2 good prospects and a 1st and then re-sign him in the off season lol.
That is exactly what I expect to happen!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Pitts wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:19 pm
Sounds like someone else may have overplayed their hand? Or allowed their agent to.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Makes sense, he will be out of their price range. Still super curious that they've dug their heels in on keeping Rust....I really don't understand it at all.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

If Andrew Filipponi is saying this - I would presume exactly the opposite of this is the real truth.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Now he'll sign with the Flyers in the summer and get booed like Jagr did...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Thats total bulls**t ,not true..
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I remember, I think, Yohe saying when that rumor circulating that the Pens offered him something like 6 years/$50 million that he hadn't actually heard that from any of his sources, but it seemed about right from Pens' perspective. So, maybe the Pens never actually offered that, or maybe Guentzel and his agent don't think that a "real" offer since it's likely well below what he would get on the open market.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:59 pm One word of caution: I wouldn't freak out at this point that Vegas and Florida, both rumored as part of the handful of teams interested in Jake, made moves already.

So its 2:57 PM. Are you officially worried now ?? :scared:
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

I'm going to wear out the refresh button and there are still 2 days left until the trade deadline.-
Badamski9

Post by Badamski9 »

I'm perturbed that Jake has been in the league for 7 years and still is a rag doll that his done nothing to get stronger :D .
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:58 pm

So its 2:57 PM. Are you officially worried now ?? :scared:
Nah. Everyone knows it's lunch/dinner time now. :lol: :scared:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Coffey Break wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:25 pm
If Andrew Filipponi is saying this - I would presume exactly the opposite of this is the real truth.
haha probably true.

Perhaps the most critical piece of information here, is his very first word.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:07 pm
This one might go down to the last few minutes before the deadline on Friday.