Fantasy Hockey Forum

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fantasy Hockey Forum

Post by FLPensFan »

Crankshaft wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Need some advice:

So I was asked to join a fantasy hockey league this year, and haven't played in like 5 years. Rotisserie scoring, 14 teams, 12 total scoring categories. There are 4 goalie categories (W, SO, SV%, GAA) and 8 skater categories (G,A,PIM,+/-,PPP,Shots,FOW, Hits)

I won't know the draft order until tomorrow, but, if I were to get a late round pick, lets say 10-14, my strategy was going to be to take Rask and Lundqvist as my first two picks. If I could accomplish that, I think I could have a good chance of placing first in 3 of the 4 goalie categories. Obviously, I'm going to lose out on top scorers, but I could then focus on guys with hits, PIM, +/- and FOW. If I pick well rounded guys the rest of the way that maybe don't lead in any category, but are strong in all areas, say like a David Backes, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic F, Phaneuf, Seabrook D, etc, and then towards the later rounds, try to pick up guys that have been leaders in the skater categories I am focusing on....Matt Martin, Radko Gudas, Antoine Russell, Zack Kassian, Wayne Simmonds.

Is this a decent strategy to try, or too risky?
I don't think Rask or Lundqvist will last until 12-14. Rask is a too 8 pick normally.
Drafting in 15 minutes. In the few mock runs I tried with this strategy, I typically got Lundqvist (Rask gone) and had my pick of 2nd goalies. I typically went Lundqvist and Bishop. And, I do have the 12th pick out of 14 teams, so looks like I'll try this out and see how it ends up.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

FLPensFan wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Need some advice:

So I was asked to join a fantasy hockey league this year, and haven't played in like 5 years. Rotisserie scoring, 14 teams, 12 total scoring categories. There are 4 goalie categories (W, SO, SV%, GAA) and 8 skater categories (G,A,PIM,+/-,PPP,Shots,FOW, Hits)

I won't know the draft order until tomorrow, but, if I were to get a late round pick, lets say 10-14, my strategy was going to be to take Rask and Lundqvist as my first two picks. If I could accomplish that, I think I could have a good chance of placing first in 3 of the 4 goalie categories. Obviously, I'm going to lose out on top scorers, but I could then focus on guys with hits, PIM, +/- and FOW. If I pick well rounded guys the rest of the way that maybe don't lead in any category, but are strong in all areas, say like a David Backes, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic F, Phaneuf, Seabrook D, etc, and then towards the later rounds, try to pick up guys that have been leaders in the skater categories I am focusing on....Matt Martin, Radko Gudas, Antoine Russell, Zack Kassian, Wayne Simmonds.

Is this a decent strategy to try, or too risky?
I don't think Rask or Lundqvist will last until 12-14. Rask is a too 8 pick normally.
Drafting in 15 minutes. In the few mock runs I tried with this strategy, I typically got Lundqvist (Rask gone) and had my pick of 2nd goalies. I typically went Lundqvist and Bishop. And, I do have the 12th pick out of 14 teams, so looks like I'll try this out and see how it ends up.
How did it go?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I'm sort of shooting from the hip here because I don't play any roto leagues, and I also play in 12-team leagues, but I would be hesitant to go G-G with a 2:1 breakdown on skater vs. goalie cats. I also have to believe that you can't count on those guys you mentioned lasting late into the draft. Everyone should be after those guys.

In a H2H league, going goaltending + hits/PIMs in a league like that would be a lot more viable. Balance is really important in roto leagues (speaking from baseball experience). Punting cats is dangerous. I can't help but think you would be punting G, A, PPP with that strategy. You'd be surprised what a difference there would bein your G, A, PPP by going with a top skater at that 16th overall pick, I think.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I think it went rather well, but I guess we shall see. I did end up going goalie-goalie, with Quick and Bishop. I wanted to snag Martin Jones as a late round pick, but he got taken one spot before me....that hurt a bit. I think after doing mock drafts and stuff I can safely say our league is too big, starting player wise....3 full lines, 2 goalies, plus 3 util players. Anyway, I haven't run all the numbers just going off of last years stats, but I think I am in pretty good shape. I don't think I'll be tops in the goalie categories, but should be in the top 3 hopefully. I stayed away from players on bad teams when possible. Just going by last years stats (and only for 4 out of 14 teams), I would far and away be the leader in +/-, Hits, and PIM, top 5 in SOG and FOW, and still decent in G & A. Here's what I ended up drafting:

C: Backes, Dubinsky, Plekanec
LW: Landeskog, Palat, Dustin Brown
RW: Simmonds, Byfuglien, Hornqvist
D: Chara, Phaneuf, Gudas, Voynov, Vlasic, Lovejoy
G: Quick, Bishop
Util: Antoine Roussel, Craig Smith, Frans Nielsen
Bench: Matt Martin, Simon Despres, Eddie Lack

The defense, offensively speaking, is not that great, but going with my concept, it is pretty good from a Hits, PIM, and =/- standpoint. Byfuglien, Phaneuf, and Nielsen are the only players I have that are on "bad" teams where a negative plus minus can be expected. I have last years PIM leader in Roussel, last several years hit leader in Martin, Gudas is top hit defender and up there in PIM. I figured Hornqvist numbers would go up this year, as well as Despres. Nielsen and Smith were late round finds. I got sniped a few times on Defense....had a few players queued up, who were not next in line by default draft list, only to see them go 1 or 2 spots before my turn.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Nice job of hitting your strategy. I will be very interested to hear how things play out for you. I do have some G,A,PPP concerns, but it is kind of hard for me to say in a 14-teamer. Have a tough time picturing whether that places you middle or bottom of the pack.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

We just finished up our fantasy draft. 10 team league, head-to-head based on goals, assists, points, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, sv%, and SHO.

C - Tavares, Thornton
LW - Benn, Pacioretty, Perron, Drouin
RW - Simmonds, Wheeler, Okposo, Nyquist
D - Weber, Letang, Josi, Lindholm
G - Lehtonen, Luongo
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Trade advice needed. Head to head points league. What say you?

Me: Letang and Gaborik
Him: Perry

My team: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ordinarily, I'd say no. Because I love Letang this year, but you have a few guys that I think are poised for nice seasons like Gardiner and Fowler...Krug also bet on himself, so he better do well...and Gaborik is always a threat on a good team.

But you kind of lack a high end scorer and Perry is just that. I've seen him go in the first round in some leagues. He's not the ******* ****** **** and **** ******* ****** that he used to be, so the PIMs aren't as high...but he can still score with one of the league's best playmakers...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'd make that trade if I were you.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Right, and depth defense is easier to find than scoring like that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Malkamaniac wrote:Right, and depth defense is easier to find than scoring like that.
Yeah, you can get away with this...condense and pick up a guy like Trouba, Morgan Reilly, Jared Spurgeon, etc. and you won't miss more than 20 points...
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Trade made, just couldn't say no to Perry.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Especially with Kesler coming over. Perry and Getzlaf might see a bit softer competition.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Indeed, made the trade and picked up Spurgeon.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Big man crush for Spurgeon. Terrific player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah Spurgeon is someone I definitely targeted for fantasy this year. Also that last second Rinaldo pickup is paying off already.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I just lost my first week on that hip check by Bogosian with :16 left in the last game of the week. Lovely.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

All my weeks end next Sunday as it turns out.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

As it should be.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Good night to have the top line of Tampa in my rotis league
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

What are thoughts on Luongo's value this year? I'm looking to package Lou with Tanner Pearson or Brock Nelson for a G upgrade. Who all would you do that for if you're me?

Varly?
Lehtonen?
Smith?
Halak?
Howard?
Niemi?
Rinne?

It's a 12 team h2h points league keep 17 and 10 farm (<200 GP skt <100 GP G). I'm much more focuses on this year but future matters some, obviously.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Varlamov was the best goalie in the league last year, if you can turn that package into him, I say do it...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

He's my top target. In fact, that's roughly my order of preference.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Dallas is getting enough firepower that when they have a decent defense, Lehtonen is going to blow up in the win column and become a top fantasy goalie. Not sure when that will happen though.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'll tier it up: Varly/Lehtonen, Halak/Rinne/Smith, Howard/Niemi

So, basically what you had...except I believe Rinne can rebound...while I think Niemi will lose his job and Howard will next season...