Fantasy Hockey Forum

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Fantasy Hockey Forum

Post by mikey287 »

Doesn't take much to out-perform Erik Cole these days. Brett Ritchie with a decent camp can do it, and if they really are feeling lucky, Colton Sceviour can...but I see him as more of a lower line player...the organization seems intent on giving him a fair look all over the lineup, as he has put in the time...a 2007 pick...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

How about some thoughts on how things shake out in Tampa?

Seemingly infinite supply of young forwards down there. Apparently camp started with a Palat - Stamkos - Callahan line. Obviously it is very early to jump on line combos, but with Palat's two-way acumen and playmaking ability from the wing, the Palat - Stamkos partnership seems like one that would be tough to break apart if they get a genuine chance together. Palat's value would be pretty significant if he plays with Stamkos at ES all year. Perhaps it could even translate to some additional PPTOI, where he fell a bit short last year from a fantasy perspective.

Maybe this is just a Palat post. How much does the LGP fantasy hockey community like Palat? I own him in one league and am considering targeting him in another. I believe there's the type of valuation difference that is needed to make a trade in the other league between the current owner and me. But, I guess I want to check a bit before I "overpay" for Palat, at least as compared with his conventional fantasy wisdom value.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

You look Ondrej Palat, and it's a little bit tough not to think "young Hossa" - it's outrageous praise really, but you look at how he plays, his two-way ability, how he can slot in with skill like this, and it's tough to ignore...I think he could be a really terrific player in this league...and this Tampa offense really can be something with the forwards they have...

Even if Drouin rises up and snags the LW spot from Palat...Palat moving down to play with Val Filppula is not a death sentence by any means...
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Yeah, he seems like the real deal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Welp, Drouin's out 3-4 weeks with a broken thumb.

There goes the sleeper pick.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Hopefuly this helps to keep him under 65 games played for the season.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Idoit40fans wrote:Hopefuly this helps to keep him under 65 games played for the season.
When I read MR post, my first thought was Idoit is going to be pumped if this lessens chance of being on team from day 1.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

sleeper pick, wut?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah im not sure how he'd be a sleeper pick.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm assuming I will be doing a league where the majority of people in it don't really pay (as much) attention to hockey as I do. I don't really know what he's ranked on lists, but I figured I'd be able to get him late.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Speaking of sleepers, who does everyone like as potential sleepers this year?

I don't really know what source people use for rankings, so some of these guys could be highly rated, but it seems to me that there's a good chance that they are undervalued.

I'll say, in no particular order:

Ondrej Palat
Kyle Turris
Sam Gagner
Alex Tanguay
Tanner Pearson
Tomas Hertl
Vladimir Tarasenko
Ales Hemsky
Brock Nelson
Coyle/Neiderreter
Mikkel Boedker
T.J. Brodie
Tobias Enstrom
Alex Edler
Dougie Hamilton
Antti Raanta
Fred Andersen
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Is Raanta going to get any significant time?

Though perhaps that's why you're calling him a sleeper, because it's definitely a possibility.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

All pretty good choices to my eye. Minus maybe Sam Gagner. I'm not sure Enstrom is a sleeper either, I don't expect his production to improve.

On NHL.com some jackhole had "5 potential breakout candidates" and it was:

Logan Couture - who had 23+30=53 in 65 games (67-point pace) last year.
Jeff Skinner - Who has scored 30 goals twice in his four-year NHL career, including a career high 33 goals last season in 71 games.
Kari Lehtonen - Who has been one of the league's best goalies since leaving Notlanta. But probably won't improve statistically by all that much because of the Stars offensive style.
Chris Kreider - Fine, fair enough. He did have 17 goals an 37 points in 66 games last season as a rookie, and 13 in 15 in the playoffs, but fine, you called it.
Tyson Barrie - Who notched 38 points in 64 games last season, his first full year in the show (49-point pace).

So, when I got to Barrie, I was like, "heh, what an idiot, this is last year's...as every single one of these players has already broken out...with the exception of maybe Kreider I guess..." the date: 9/22/14.

So I left a comment, which is very uncharacteristic: Those players already broke out.

I mean, what is that? Tyson Barrie...

He broke out already, sir. Yeah, he can't break out any further! /supertroopers
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Strome is a better choice depending on rookie status. If peole are looking at a list of rankings from last year, he isn't goign to show up.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Tanguay would top that list for me, as I fully expect MacKinnon to be top 5 scorer this season...

And when Coyle gets traded to the Pens, his stock will go up up up.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I agree Enstrom won't improve, I'm just noticing that he seems to be left for dead a bit in the leagues I'm in. I was sensing that people have forgotten a bit about how many points he can put up with two 30ish point seasons and a lockout separating us from his last 50+ year. I still think if things break right he can be in the high 40s. He was always an underrated player to begin with, and I think he could be a bargain in some leagues.

Only reason I threw Gagner on there is because of how badly it sounded like Phoenix/Arizona has been wanting him for a while now. Any time a team seems to covet a player, I bump them up a bit because of the number of chances that they'll probably get. But, yeah, it's risky putting to coyotes on a sleeper list. I'm hoping the contract year is the motivation for Boedker to finally break through into the next tier of forwards (from a fantasy standpoint).

Brock Nelson should probably be Nelson/Lee, though I'll take the pedigree guy 9/10...hence my preference for Nelson.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I was gonna mention Anders Lee, but I don't honestly believe that will go down like that...Anders Lee is a very strange player...

The Coyotes are gonna get back to defense, unlike last year, where they played as loose as I've seen since Gretzky...Boedker looks poised to take the next step...Sam Gagner, I'm not so sure...I think Edmonton ran off with all the copper wire, there's a still decent foundation there, but there's no added value to him in all likelihood...but ya never know with chemistry and what not, he's not untalented...

Charlie Coyle is gonna really emerge one of these next two seasons I think...you can see him piecing it all together...that Minnesota top-six doesn't get as much press as it deserves...probably because they all belong to the Church of Yeo...but there's upside in that group to be sure...

Yeah, how about Ryan Strome? That's as good of a pick as any for this type of discussion...and if you're really feeling the Isles and have a pick to give, roll the dice on Calvin De Haan...it's a long shot, but it pays 30:1...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I have Strome and de Haan. pop
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Jonny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan have potential.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot: Danny DeKeyser. Disclaimer: I'm a fan and own him in all of my leagues, but I think he's that next Ryan McDonagh type fantasy breakout of a guy who we all sort of pegged as more of a stay-at-home player who turns into a viable source of points. Not as high a ceiling as McDonagh, probably, but I think 35 might happen this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah I grabbed both Demers and Vlasic hoping one would get work on the pp. I'm hoping Vlasic is just so undeniable that they ahve to get him the minutes. How is one of the best few defensemen around not on the pp too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I love DeKeyser, just not in fantasy hockey. He's the next Vlasic, I'm not sure his puck skills really go beyond that. But I'm pulling for him...his hockey sense is terrific...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Need some advice:

So I was asked to join a fantasy hockey league this year, and haven't played in like 5 years. Rotisserie scoring, 14 teams, 12 total scoring categories. There are 4 goalie categories (W, SO, SV%, GAA) and 8 skater categories (G,A,PIM,+/-,PPP,Shots,FOW, Hits)

I won't know the draft order until tomorrow, but, if I were to get a late round pick, lets say 10-14, my strategy was going to be to take Rask and Lundqvist as my first two picks. If I could accomplish that, I think I could have a good chance of placing first in 3 of the 4 goalie categories. Obviously, I'm going to lose out on top scorers, but I could then focus on guys with hits, PIM, +/- and FOW. If I pick well rounded guys the rest of the way that maybe don't lead in any category, but are strong in all areas, say like a David Backes, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic F, Phaneuf, Seabrook D, etc, and then towards the later rounds, try to pick up guys that have been leaders in the skater categories I am focusing on....Matt Martin, Radko Gudas, Antoine Russell, Zack Kassian, Wayne Simmonds.

Is this a decent strategy to try, or too risky?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Sounds good, I think. I have never done Rotisserie in hockey but I've done it in baseball and I kind of do the same thing. Stack my pitching first, grab stolen base and average guys and round out the rest of the roster.

I would think same could apply here. Lock up the goalie stats, go for PIM/+-/PIM and round out the rest.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

FLPensFan wrote:Need some advice:

So I was asked to join a fantasy hockey league this year, and haven't played in like 5 years. Rotisserie scoring, 14 teams, 12 total scoring categories. There are 4 goalie categories (W, SO, SV%, GAA) and 8 skater categories (G,A,PIM,+/-,PPP,Shots,FOW, Hits)

I won't know the draft order until tomorrow, but, if I were to get a late round pick, lets say 10-14, my strategy was going to be to take Rask and Lundqvist as my first two picks. If I could accomplish that, I think I could have a good chance of placing first in 3 of the 4 goalie categories. Obviously, I'm going to lose out on top scorers, but I could then focus on guys with hits, PIM, +/- and FOW. If I pick well rounded guys the rest of the way that maybe don't lead in any category, but are strong in all areas, say like a David Backes, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic F, Phaneuf, Seabrook D, etc, and then towards the later rounds, try to pick up guys that have been leaders in the skater categories I am focusing on....Matt Martin, Radko Gudas, Antoine Russell, Zack Kassian, Wayne Simmonds.

Is this a decent strategy to try, or too risky?
I don't think Rask or Lundqvist will last until 12-14. Rask is a too 8 pick normally.