Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Ogie wrote:If Cairns was healthy I would much rather have him as my policemen then Laraque..
no way no way no way. i am against laraque and have been since day one, but this is just a lame lame statement. laraque has some offensive upside, where cairns is non existent.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Your policeman still needs to be able to actually play hockey a bit. Cairns can't.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/pit/s ... 8ugCZQ2bYF

Cairns had zero points in 1 game. Laraque had 2 points in 17 games.

Going back to last year, Cairns had 1 point in 27 games.

Cairns was above average at fighting and way below average in every other fact of the game.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Well then NHL.com and TSN.ca are wrong as well because they have no record of it either.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Cairns blows and plays a position where you can't hide him. He's done.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

I dont think any of those players will be hard to replace and most likely will be upgraded upon.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

fletch wrote:
pfim wrote:Cairns blows and plays a position where you can't hide him. He's done.

who the hell said anything about putting him out there at times other then to send a message?
So you're going to dress 7 defenseman and double shift someone to play on the fourth line? He's a waste of a roster spot. If he's in the NHL next year I'd be completely stunned.
Stillwag
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Stillwag »

fletch wrote:
pfim wrote:
fletch wrote:
pfim wrote:Cairns blows and plays a position where you can't hide him. He's done.

who the hell said anything about putting him out there at times other then to send a message?
So you're going to dress 7 defenseman and double shift someone to play on the fourth line? He's a waste of a roster spot. If he's in the NHL next year I'd be completely stunned.

Injury questions might be why he doesnt make the roster but if hes healthy he will play for someone. The guy can hammer people pure and simple. Hes hardly a waste of a roster spot. Hes a match up guy. You put him out there in games you expect problems in with people taking runs at our skill guys. You have a problem you shift him out there to grab someone and pound the crap out of them.
Then he takes one punch to the head, and gets another concussion. Good plan. Cairns is garbage, he lacks any basic defensive skills. I'm not a huge Laraque fan, but at least he attempts to play hockey. It's bush leaguers like Cairns who hold hockey back a few decades.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Injury questions might be why he doesnt make the roster but if hes healthy he will play for someone. The guy can hammer people pure and simple. Hes hardly a waste of a roster spot. Hes a match up guy. You put him out there in games you expect problems in with people taking runs at our skill guys. You have a problem you shift him out there to grab someone and pound the crap out of them.
He is a liability on the ice. He takes up a roster spot so he's a liability on the bench. The guy is done and it has little to do with injury.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Whether or not Laraque does his job has no bearing on the fact that Cairns stinks. Laraque is a good fighter and average hockey player. Cairns is a good fighter and a below average hockey player.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Hows he a liability when the sole reason to have him is to send him out on the ice, wait for the puck to drop and fight?
That's not the way hockey works. Who needs a policman who can't get his butt off the bench? Is he going to yell at Chris Neil and Sean Avery? They wouldn't care if he was on the ice anyway, they're in the league to play their game and they're going to play it, Cairns or not.

This isn't 1988 or even 2003. You can't carry a useless hockey player on your bench.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

pfim wrote:This isn't 1988 or even 2003. You can't carry a useless hockey player on your bench.
QFT.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

You're missing the point fletch. I'm not saying you don't still need someone to ride shotgun occasion. I'm saying you can't have the guy that does that be below average in all other areas of the game. Cairns isn't good at anything except fighting.

You can't afford to dress a guy that can't play, especially if said cementhead is a defenseman.