What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:59 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:48 pm
KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:14 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 pm Eklund reporting Vegas is in big on Jake.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... m/1/124406
With that new found Stone LTIR space, they could afford Jake AND Smith. Vegas always goes all in, so there might be something there.
Vegas has literally nothing that excites me. ZERO prospects that are a difference maker to me. Nothing they can offer fits the age range we should be looking at, or fits the bill of a high level A rated prospect.
Both Vegas and Edmonton lack to end prospects. I guess Brisson would be of interest to the Pens from Vegas, but yeah, I tend to agree with you. It would most likely be a quantity over quality type of trade. Prefer the other way. I think Dallas has some nice pieces that the Pens would like. They've been quiet on the trade front. I think Dubas is going to get a ton of offers for Jake, if he hasn't already.
Vegas doesn't have an attractive piece for me. Brisson or Edstrom might be okay as a 2nd piece, but they aren't good enough for me to be the centerpiece of the deal. From Edmonton, I'd take Holloway or Broberg as the centerpiece (prefer Holloway), and would be okay with McLeod or Akey as a secondary piece, along with a 1st.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Matthew Tkachuk left the game last night in the first period and didn't return. If he is out until the trade deadline, would the Panthers enter into the picture?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

KBone wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:48 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 pm Eklund reporting Vegas is in big on Jake.

I wish people would stop posting his stuff. He was clearly a hack during the lockout when he gained popularity from people desperate for any hockey news and nothing has ever changed. All nonsense from him - just throwing crap out there and claiming "sources".

Do yourself a favor and delete that bookmark.
Eklund has been a no-talent, no connection hack for about two decades, yet people still follow and quote him. It is completely inexplicable, yet apparently inevitable. :face:
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:58 pm

With that new found Stone LTIR space, they could afford Jake AND Smith. Vegas always goes all in, so there might be something there.
Vegas has literally nothing that excites me. ZERO prospects that are a difference maker to me. Nothing they can offer fits the age range we should be looking at, or fits the bill of a high level A rated prospect.
Both Vegas and Edmonton lack to end prospects. I guess Brisson would be of interest to the Pens from Vegas, but yeah, I tend to agree with you. It would most likely be a quantity over quality type of trade. Prefer the other way. I think Dallas has some nice pieces that the Pens would like. They've been quiet on the trade front. I think Dubas is going to get a ton of offers for Jake, if he hasn't already.
Vegas doesn't have an attractive piece for me. Brisson or Edstrom might be okay as a 2nd piece, but they aren't good enough for me to be the centerpiece of the deal. From Edmonton, I'd take Holloway or Broberg as the centerpiece (prefer Holloway), and would be okay with McLeod or Akey as a secondary piece, along with a 1st.
McLeod as mentioned before is higher up the todem pole of value for EDM then Holloway. He’d me the main peice with a draft pick. He has allot of upside still and has played great as of late / but I don’t think it’s enough or the right player for us. Maybe him, a prospect and a 1st.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:22 pm Matthew Tkachuk left the game last night in the first period and didn't return. If he is out until the trade deadline, would the Panthers enter into the picture?
I doubt it. Biggest issue is they would likely only want a rental. They need to try and re-sign Sam Reinhart, so they wouldn't have room for Guentzel and Reinhart next year. Even Reilly Smith might be hard with him having an extra year of term. They also don't have a 1st until 2026.

If Tkachuk is out longer term, I think they may become the top suitor for Tarasenko.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:44 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:58 pm

McLeod as mentioned before is higher up the todem pole of value for EDM then Holloway. He’d me the main peice with a draft pick. He has allot of upside still and has played great as of late / but I don’t think it’s enough or the right player for us. Maybe him, a prospect and a 1st.
I disagree on McLeod. I like the player, but he's likely never going to become a 2C in this league. His upside is likely a very strong 3C, or a very poor 2C, in terms of production.

Holloway has the top end pedigree. You hear more on McLeod because he's 2 years older and has played in almost 3 seasons (190 games) at the NHL level, compared to Holloway's 76 games. The big thing for Holloway is, can he stay healthy after having a couple of wrist surgeries. McLeod's been more successful to date, but Holloway, should he develop as expected, has the higher ceiling. Holloway also may end up being better at winger than center.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

We could most likely get both McLeod and Holloway. We could offer up Ned and or Eller as well.

I would think Edmonton would want to go all in this year. Clock is ticking on McDavid.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Jake-Sid-Rust
DOC-Geno-Pusstinen
Smith-Eller-Rakell
Poulin-Acciari-Carter
X - Puljujärvi

POJ-Letang
Dragon-EK64
Grave Digger - Ruhwedel
X- Ludvig

Jarry
Ned

I'm having a very hard time seeing why this isn't a playoff caliber team. It's a shame everyone wants to blow it up rather than try a fresh approach.

Oh well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Maestro wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm Jake-Sid-Rust
DOC-Geno-Pusstinen
Smith-Eller-Rakell
Poulin-Acciari-Carter
X - Puljujärvi

POJ-Letang
Dragon-EK64
Grave Digger - Ruhwedel
X- Ludvig

Jarry
Ned

I'm having a very hard time seeing why this isn't a playoff caliber team. It's a shame everyone wants to blow it up rather than try a fresh approach.

Oh well.
I need to see a lot more from DOC and Puustinen to think we could rely on both of them, and both on Geno's line, and have success. I'm a fan of both players, they've done well the last few games...but swap Puustinen and Rust to have a little more balance.

Also, I'm still waiting for Carter to be bumped out of the lineup, and Acciari to get significant time on RW, where he is a better player.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:51 pm
Maestro wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm Jake-Sid-Rust
DOC-Geno-Pusstinen
Smith-Eller-Rakell
Poulin-Acciari-Carter
X - Puljujärvi

POJ-Letang
Dragon-EK64
Grave Digger - Ruhwedel
X- Ludvig

Jarry
Ned

Oh well.
I need to see a lot more from DOC and Puustinen to think we could rely on both of them, and both on Geno's line, and have success. I'm a fan of both players, they've done well the last few games...but swap Puustinen and Rust to have a little more balance.

Also, I'm still waiting for Carter to be bumped out of the lineup, and Acciari to get significant time on RW, where he is a better player.
Yup. These were basically going to be my comments...

I'd love to see what Puustinen could do with Sid.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nh ... b623&ei=11
As Hooks noted yesterday, ESPN’s Emily Kaplan described the Penguins’ expected asking price for Guentzel as “multiple first-round picks, or a first-round pick and equivalent in top prospects or roster players.”
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Badger Bob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:24 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nh ... b623&ei=11
As Hooks noted yesterday, ESPN’s Emily Kaplan described the Penguins’ expected asking price for Guentzel as “multiple first-round picks, or a first-round pick and equivalent in top prospects or roster players.”
He's basically a consistent 40 goal scorer and a known quantity in the playoffs, as well as that he plays way bigger than his size. He is the type of player that every team in the league would want on their roster. And the only reason PGH wouldn't is because he'll be 30 in the first year of a contract extension, and that doesn't do anything to address the longer term needs of this team.

I'd love to keep Jake around - not only is he a great player and a legit 1st line forward, but he also seems to be a really good team guy, and well liked by his teammates. He has to be the most highly valued FA going into this trade deadline, and should therefore yield legitimately a kings ransom. I've read somewhere (can't remember where specifically) that the "asking price" for Jake is "ridiculous". Okay, find another add to your roster even in the neighborhood of Jake Guentzel... I don't want to see us lose him, but when you have a blue chip, you don't play it unless you know you've got the winning hand. And that's what we have, and Dubas better damned well take advantage of it.

ETA: I've said in the past that I'm giving Dubas a full year of management before I personally assess him in his job, but what he does with Jake right here and right now will actually carry a lot of weight with me...
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Signing Rust and Rakell for the term and money they got, only to now have to trade a bonafide 40-goal scorer is real sick asset management. :roll:
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Coffey Break wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:27 am Signing Rust and Rakell for the term and money they got, only to now have to trade a bonafide 40-goal scorer is real sick asset management. :roll:
Agree. I was very opposed to re-signing Rust and Rakell at the time at ages 29 and 30. Already knew two years ago the Pens needed to get a lot younger around Sid and Geno. It’s frustrating that the people running this organization didn’t see it, until, oh, we’re not going to make the playoffs for the second straight year. I have almost no confidence in Dubas and none in Sullivan at this point
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I think thats odd that you guys have issues for Rust and Rakell as too old.. I mean too old,is 33yrs and older,to be re-signed to multiyear contracts!? not 28-32yrs old players when the are actually in prime years.. Rakell is dissapointment this season for sure.. but Rusty not really! But resigning them shouldnt be an issue..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:44 am I think thats odd that you guys have issues for Rust and Rakell as too old.. I mean too old,is 33yrs and older,to be re-signed to multiyear contracts!? not 28-32yrs old players when the are actually in prime years.. Rakell is dissapointment this season for sure.. but Rusty not really! But resigning them shouldnt be an issue..
Re-signing Rust and Rakell has nothing to do with the Pens ability to sign Jake, IMO. It's not a money thing. With the cap going up and Carter coming off the books, the Pens have plenty of cap space. It's a matter of if Jake want's to re-sign and if the Pens should finally re-tool.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Yep, Pens could re-sign Jake. The bigger issue is why do we want to bring it back with all the same top six wingers for Sid and Geno but now only a year older and all over age 30. Failed strategy if we keep missing the playoffs. I mean if they could trade two of Rakell, Smith or Rust for something positive and Yager is ready or they have a plan to replace with younger wingers, then re-sign Jake by all means. I don’t think they’ll be able to do that, maybe Smith who has only one year left
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:27 am Signing Rust and Rakell for the term and money they got, only to now have to trade a bonafide 40-goal scorer is real sick asset management. :roll:
I view it a little differently. I agree that Rust and Rakell, term and AAV (plus NMC/NTC) weren't necessarily the best adds, but I also don't think their contracts are prohibiting the Penguins from signing Jake. It's the fact that this team has Guentzel today, and it's not anywhere close to being a contender. Keeping Jake for an extremely high cap hit doesn't make us BETTER. It doesn't put us over that hump. Moving on from him most definitely makes us WORSE, but keeping him doesn't make us a contender.

There are other moves needed to be made to give this team any hope of contending. Getting younger, with the right youth, is one of them. This team is going to have to spread the scoring out. They are not going to be able to get away with the type of bottom 6 scoring they have today. They'll need more traditional 15-18g, 30-40 point scorers on the 3rd line, and no Jansen Harkins types on the 4th line.

Signing Jake to a 10-12M AAV deal doesn't move the team forward. If Rust and Rakell weren't here, maybe you can sign Jake to the absurd AAV deal he'll likely get and still be able to fill other holes. But then we'll have the Rust and Rakell holes to fill, too.

The time to do this was the last 2-3 years. Sam Bennett instead of Jeff Carter. Nino Niederreiter instead of Mikael Granlund. Jakob Chychrun instead of Erik Karlsson. Signing Dylan Strome. Releasing Kapanen and re-signing ERod. Bennett, Chychrun, and Strome were all 24-25 range when those deals were made. That would have helped significantly and unfortunately, the next two summers aren't setting up like that. The window was missed. The direction was wrong by Hextall.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Everyone assuming Rust and Rakell (and Smith and EK and Graves and...) would be as ineffective under different tutelage is quite an assumption.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Badger Bob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:24 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nh ... b623&ei=11

Per NHL Execs Anyhow. :D
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Maestro wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:54 pm Everyone assuming Rust and Rakell (and Smith and EK and Graves and...) would be as ineffective under different tutelage is quite an assumption.
No I’m not. I just think that change is hopeless at this point. The core apparently doesn’t want to play for anyone else and got Dullivan that retirement contract lol
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Carter is off books next year, Jake re-signed, insert some youth into lineup with Poulin and Yager.. Make a hockey trade with Smith for another winger and lets move on, I wouldnt want to give up on Rakell yet.. he could bounce back next year! Nieto gets traded for 4/5th rounder..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
RS swap - Malkin - Rakell
DOC - Eller - Puustinen/Bemsberg (whoever is better for remainder of season)
Poulin - Yager - Acciari
x - Puljujarvi

Thats still very decent lineup.. but without new coach, I dont know..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm Carter is off books next year, Jake re-signed, insert some youth into lineup with Poulin and Yager.. Make a hockey trade with Smith for another winger and lets move on, I wouldnt want to give up on Rakell yet.. he could bounce back next year! Nieto gets traded for 4/5th rounder..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Poulin - Yager - Acciari
x - Puljujarvi

I think Yager is a couple years away. You also don't want him playing 4th line minutes with how this coach implements his 4th line. Defense only, offensive blackhole.

I would look to move Eller at the deadline as well. Get a younger 3C.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Ericf wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Maestro wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:54 pm Everyone assuming Rust and Rakell (and Smith and EK and Graves and...) would be as ineffective under different tutelage is quite an assumption.
No I’m not. I just think that change is hopeless at this point. The core apparently doesn’t want to play for anyone else and got Dullivan that retirement contract lol
Jagr?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm Carter is off books next year, Jake re-signed, insert some youth into lineup with Poulin and Yager.. Make a hockey trade with Smith for another winger and lets move on, I wouldnt want to give up on Rakell yet.. he could bounce back next year! Nieto gets traded for 4/5th rounder..

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Poulin - Yager - Acciari
x - Puljujarvi

I think Yager is a couple years away. You also don't want him playing 4th line minutes with how this coach implements his 4th line. Defense only, offensive blackhole.

I would look to move Eller at the deadline as well. Get a younger 3C.
Why move Eller? Moving overachieving guys is a mistake..