What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:48 pm Crosby basically says he's not getting involved in anything related to Jake's situation here. Dubas is the GM, Crosby is the player. He's not going to go tell Dubas how to do his job, demand Jake stay, or want to leave if Jake is traded:

https://theathletic.com/5286060/2024/02 ... ed_article
As it should be.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:59 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:48 pm Crosby basically says he's not getting involved in anything related to Jake's situation here. Dubas is the GM, Crosby is the player. He's not going to go tell Dubas how to do his job, demand Jake stay, or want to leave if Jake is traded:

As it should be.
:thumb:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:31 pm https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/team ... s/feed/p/1

Wednesday GM Dubas will hold a "pre" trade media availability at 2pm. :idea: He'll tell us everything. :roll:

Dejan's penguins' daily shot is spot on today.

Hopefully he’s having this session to let people know it’s time to sell and retool. I don’t want to hear any praise for Sullivan. Time to clear house this offseason.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

KG wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:29 pm
penny lane wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:31 pm https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/team ... s/feed/p/1

Wednesday GM Dubas will hold a "pre" trade media availability at 2pm. :idea: He'll tell us everything. :roll:

Dejan's penguins' daily shot is spot on today.

Hopefully he’s having this session to let people know it’s time to sell and retool. I don’t want to hear any praise for Sullivan. Time to clear house this offseason.
Guarantee he says the opposite: reaffirms that they’re not cleaning house at all as long as Sid is here, that they will possibly move some players but only in an effort to get better this year or in the near future, and he’ll reaffirm his respect for Sullivan and that his job is not on the line lol
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Expect "We still believe in this group. It has been a little up and down. Just need to put a win streak together here and push for playoffs. Just a little tinkering with the bottom 6 and maybe a #6 dman. We feel on our day we can compete with anyone. I very much look forward to working closely with Mike Sullivan for many years to come."
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Maestro wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:28 pm Expect "We still believe in this group. It has been a little up and down. Just need to put a win streak together here and push for playoffs. Just a little tinkering with the bottom 6 and maybe a #6 dman. We feel on our day we can compete with anyone. I very much look forward to working closely with Mike Sullivan for many years to come."
I don't think so. I don't Kyle Dubas is a fool and only a fool would wall himself in like that.

I think Dubas will keep his cards close to his chest, trade Jake, and will wait until the end of the season to relieve Sullivan. There really isn't a chance to make the playoffs at this point. The Pens are all but mathematically eliminated. They can't play .750 hockey, which is probably what it would take. The coaches can't fix the power play, which would need to click for them to have any chance whatsoever.

By the way, if anybody could fix the PP, it would be Jagr. He has more street cred than anyone in that practice skate the other day and they would listen to him.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

This is good.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I didn't hear today's 32 thoughts myself, but came across this on the interwebs...

Penguins Are Fugazis
@scottcrowell18
·
1h
From Elliotte Friedmans sense and other teams around the league is that Pittsburgh is KEEPING Jake Guentzel and will continue to attempt to sign him. Also he believes a July 1st extension for Crosby is ready to go
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
1h
32 Thoughts Friday news and information podcast. Links to your preferred platform, here:

https://sportsnet.ca/podcasts/32-thoughts/

Just listened. Freidman said after listening to Dubas, it sounds like they are going to trade him. So the truth is nobody knows lol

He also speculates if Ottawa would want a EK reunion. Again, just speculation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:10 pm https://sportsnet.ca/podcasts/32-thoughts/
Pens stuff from 27 min mark on:
- Bemstrom shoots hard and Dubas doesn't acquire guys on a heater.
- Thinks Crosby knows of Dubas' plan and has tacit approval.
- Other teams think the Pens will keep Guentzel and sign him.
- Press conference, however, made it sound like he will be traded.
- Speculation about getting younger guys and then keeping Guentzel.
- Speculation about 3yr x $10.5M extension for Crosby.
- Return to OTT for EK speculation. That's one way Pens get younger.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Bemstrom shoots hard and Dubas doesn't acquire guys on a heater

What that suppose to mean??
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:04 pm Bemstrom shoots hard and Dubas doesn't acquire guys on a heater

What that suppose to mean??
Bemström has a hard shot.

Dubas doesn't acquire guys that are currently playing well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:10 pm I didn't hear today's 32 thoughts myself, but came across this on the interwebs...

Penguins Are Fugazis
@scottcrowell18
·
1h
From Elliotte Friedmans sense and other teams around the league is that Pittsburgh is KEEPING Jake Guentzel and will continue to attempt to sign him. Also he believes a July 1st extension for Crosby is ready to go
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
1h
32 Thoughts Friday news and information podcast. Links to your preferred platform, here:

Just listened. Freidman said after listening to Dubas, it sounds like they are going to trade him. So the truth is nobody knows lol

I won't say Friedman's info is wrong, just maybe outdated. Dejan has been saying basically the same thing...the sources he's checked with all say the Penguins have every intent to try and keep Guentzel.

The problem is, while that can be the intent...if Guentzel is asking for too much, or if Jake is intent on going to market to see what he can get...there's nothing more the Penguins can do.

If the Penguins pickup a meaningful # of points in these next 6 games (got 2 of 2 last night), then Dubas likely has to go to Jake next week and say this is the best I can offer. If Jake doesn't accept, he should be opening the trade phones to all teams, allowing them to talk extension to get the best possible return for THE TEAM.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Except the 12 teams Jake says he won't go to under his no trade clause. Non-playoff teams?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:10 pm
KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:10 pm I didn't hear today's 32 thoughts myself, but came across this on the interwebs...

Penguins Are Fugazis
@scottcrowell18
·
1h
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
1h

I won't say Friedman's info is wrong, just maybe outdated. Dejan has been saying basically the same thing...the sources he's checked with all say the Penguins have every intent to try and keep Guentzel.

The problem is, while that can be the intent...if Guentzel is asking for too much, or if Jake is intent on going to market to see what he can get...there's nothing more the Penguins can do.

If the Penguins pickup a meaningful # of points in these next 6 games (got 2 of 2 last night), then Dubas likely has to go to Jake next week and say this is the best I can offer. If Jake doesn't accept, he should be opening the trade phones to all teams, allowing them to talk extension to get the best possible return for THE TEAM.
Honestly I think with his age and the age of the team and the fact that he's not good enough to build a team around, I'd trade him regardless. Unless he'll take a 3-4 year contract, which he'd be foolish to do.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Daniel wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:42 pm

Penguins Are Fugazis
@scottcrowell18
·
1h
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
1h

Honestly I think with his age and the age of the team and the fact that he's not good enough to build a team around, I'd trade him regardless. Unless he'll take a 3-4 year contract, which he'd be foolish to do.
The biggest thing we need is more offensive depth. For whatever reason (awful PP being chief among them) we don't score enough. Period. If dealing Jake can net us two pieces who can positively contribute to the top 9, then I say make the deal. We're not a playoff team with Jake on the roster, so why pay him what very high amount I'm sure he's asking for—unless of course they can unload additional salary—say dealing Karlsson or Graves.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:42 pm

Penguins Are Fugazis
@scottcrowell18
·
1h
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
1h

Agreed that he should be dealt. We have the core, now Karlsson may be part of the core, sign Jake and he's part of the core, and then maybe Jarry and Petterson get added to the core.

This team shouldn't be afraid to sell off players to get value in return. Yes, Jake is essentially there most reliable goal scorer and trading that stinks. But this team isn't making any deep runs unless they hit a pure streak of luck. To use the Moneyball quote, "We got to replace Jake in the aggregate." Go and 3 or 4 guys who can score 15-20 goals. Spread the potential scoring throughout the lineup. Make all 4 lines a threat.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Not only are we not making any deep runs, but we are not built to contend with the contenders. Sid, Geno, and Letang need to be complimentary pieces at this point moving forward. Not the main pieces. Fortunately, I believe that their contracts allow for them to be complimentary pieces. I think Geno and Letang's contracts are bargains. I think Sid will also be a bargain.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:41 pm Not only are we not making any deep runs, but we are not built to contend with the contenders. Sid, Geno, and Letang need to be complimentary pieces at this point moving forward. Not the main pieces. Fortunately, I believe that their contracts allow for them to be complimentary pieces. I think Geno and Letang's contracts are bargains. I think Sid will also be a bargain.
Unfortunately, I think Hextall and to some degree Dubas (had to clean up Hextall mess though) missed the prime opportunity to get younger and get better pieces. The lineup below was possible (even factoring in the raises Bennett, Nino, ERod, and Strome got with their new teams) if this team looked at guys UNDER 30 instead of the moves that were made:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bennett-Malkin-Rakell
Niederreiter-Strome-ERod
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
x-Puustinen

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Chychrun
POJ-Ruhwedel

Jarry
Nedeljkovic

There are still some week spots there, but, it's a much, much deeper lineup than we have today. And, I don't see the same crop of decent UFAs coming up over the next year or two. Chance missed.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Eklund reporting Vegas is in big on Jake.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/ ... m/1/124406
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 pm Eklund reporting Vegas is in big on Jake.

With that new found Stone LTIR space, they could afford Jake AND Smith. Vegas always goes all in, so there might be something there.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Has that guy ever been right? I mean literally, ever?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:14 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 pm Eklund reporting Vegas is in big on Jake.

With that new found Stone LTIR space, they could afford Jake AND Smith. Vegas always goes all in, so there might be something there.
Vegas has literally nothing that excites me. ZERO prospects that are a difference maker to me. Nothing they can offer fits the age range we should be looking at, or fits the bill of a high level A rated prospect.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:42 pm Has that guy ever been right? I mean literally, ever?
e5, gotta a good feeling about this one (/s)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:48 pm
KG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:14 pm

Vegas has literally nothing that excites me. ZERO prospects that are a difference maker to me. Nothing they can offer fits the age range we should be looking at, or fits the bill of a high level A rated prospect.
Both Vegas and Edmonton lack to end prospects. I guess Brisson would be of interest to the Pens from Vegas, but yeah, I tend to agree with you. It would most likely be a quantity over quality type of trade. Prefer the other way. I think Dallas has some nice pieces that the Pens would like. They've been quiet on the trade front. I think Dubas is going to get a ton of offers for Jake, if he hasn't already.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

I wish people would stop posting his stuff. He was clearly a hack during the lockout when he gained popularity from people desperate for any hockey news and nothing has ever changed. All nonsense from him - just throwing crap out there and claiming "sources".

Do yourself a favor and delete that bookmark.