Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Tarasenko signed 2yrs deal with Detroit, 4.75M per..
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’d take Tarasenko for a year, but two not sure. Harder to move for assets at the deadline.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:37 pm I’d take Tarasenko for a year, but two not sure. Harder to move for assets at the deadline.
Time to get creative. We need a top 6 forward badly. If the goal is to remain competitive.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:39 pm
DelPen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:37 pm I’d take Tarasenko for a year, but two not sure. Harder to move for assets at the deadline.
Time to get creative. We need a top 6 forward badly. If the goal is to remain competitive.
It shouldn't be, really
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:43 pm
It shouldn't be, really
Given what I've seen so far, it's definitely NOT.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Just remember, bringing in another forward almost certain pushes a younger guy out of the lineup. Not sure Dubas wants to do that. We probably won't get very far, but they are almost better off at this point rolling the dice with what they have and the cap space they have. If they are exceeding expectations, then they have some room to potentially acquire a piece at the deadline.

But in all honesty, the goal should be to lose competitively at this point, sell off Eller and Pettersson at the deadline to gain more picks, and position themselves for a top 10 pick in 2025.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:07 pm
Just remember, bringing in another forward almost certain pushes a younger guy out of the lineup. Not sure Dubas wants to do that. We probably won't get very far, but they are almost better off at this point rolling the dice with what they have and the cap space they have. If they are exceeding expectations, then they have some room to potentially acquire a piece at the deadline.

But in all honesty, the goal should be to lose competitively at this point, sell off Eller and Pettersson at the deadline to gain more picks, and position themselves for a top 10 pick in 2025.
I hear you. But I'm not so sure Sid will sign off on this approach...
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Surprised Cammi Granato wasn't the first.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:23 pm

I've got to imagine Crosby has given his input already. Dubas has said multiple times he would like the core to be here as some of these young guys like Yager, Pickering, etc are breaking into the league, to help mentor them and get them up to speed.

Selling off Eller, Pettersson, and Grzelcyk (forgot him) this year would be a start to obtaining more draft capital. Honestly, if someone would take Rakell or Bunting, I'd look to move them too, because 2025 is supposed to be a deeper draft than this year (and I think we got lucky and got some good 2nd rounders), and I don't think we know about 2026 yet. If the Penguins can pull off having two 1sts, three 2nds, and two 3rd in the 2025 draft, I'd be really happy.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

BigMcK wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:52 pm

Surprised Cammi Granato wasn't the first.
Hasn’t Campbell been with Bylsma in Coachella for the last few years? She has earned a job coming up with him based on that staff’s success.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:26 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:14 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:00 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:43 am Man, the Caps really hamstrung themselves with their overhaul. Avs in trouble too.

How so?
Caps are 13M over the cap. There's Bäckström's 9.2M, expected to go to LTIR? And there's a3.9M retention on Kuznetsov.
Avs aren't in trouble.. yet. But they have Landeskog's 7M headed for LTIR and Nichushkin's 6.125M on player assistance.
I'm assuming the Capitals are assuming that Timothy Jimothee isn't playing for them this year. He wants to play, but his back is messed up. Sounded like he was only coming back if he thought his back would hold up the whole season...didn't want to be in and out of the lineup due to his back. Oshie has this year remaining at 5.75M. You add that to Backstrom's 9.2M, and the caps may actually have 1M in cap space left, enough for a league minimum player to take Oshie's spot.

Colorado is closer to being in trouble. They've got 3.8M in cap space and need 4 more players to fill out their roster. Logon O'Connor is on LTIR with hip injury, 1M AAV. Not sure if he is coming off. Landeskog almost certainly won't be ready for season. I've heard possibly November. That's 7M of space they need to find. This is where sending maybe a Poulin/Puustinen and a late pick for Ross Colton and a pick could be an option...but I wouldn't bank on it.
If this holds true to form, I wonder if we'll see DOC start the season on Crosby's left wing with Rakell.
Then you put Bunting and Rust on either side of Malkin to give the line some straight ahead bite and defensive acumen.
And, as most of us probably figure, you have Beauvillier-Hayes-(probably Puustinen) as a third line.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:16 pm
KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:23 pm

I've got to imagine Crosby has given his input already. Dubas has said multiple times he would like the core to be here as some of these young guys like Yager, Pickering, etc are breaking into the league, to help mentor them and get them up to speed.

Selling off Eller, Pettersson, and Grzelcyk (forgot him) this year would be a start to obtaining more draft capital. Honestly, if someone would take Rakell or Bunting, I'd look to move them too, because 2025 is supposed to be a deeper draft than this year (and I think we got lucky and got some good 2nd rounders), and I don't think we know about 2026 yet. If the Penguins can pull off having two 1sts, three 2nds, and two 3rd in the 2025 draft, I'd be really happy.
Trading Eller and Grzelcyk are forgone conclusions. I think you see what Pettersson agent is looking for in his next contract. I he wants more than 4 years and his salary starts with a 5, then sure move him as well. I'm not sure how you're trading Bunting or Rakell unless someone unexpectly steps up and shows they can fill a top six role.