Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:50 am If Toronto doesn't have a "do not trade with Dubas policy", Nick Roberton would certainly be a target for us. Young, goal scorer, small!, former Dubas pick. He's requested a trade.
Forgot about him in my last post. This is someone I could see Dubas going after. Would probably make more sense cap wise and age wise. Hopefully this can be his Tarasenko fallback.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:53 am
KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:45 am Little quiet as free agency goes on. Assuming the rumors are true that we have an offer out to Tarasenko that means we are looking for a top 6 forward. Not many options left besides him in free agency. Sprong (nope), Roslovic, he's a 3rd line player.

If we miss out on Tarasenko, then we will have to go the trade route. What top 6 forwards are rumored to be available? Some we would have to pay assets to acquire, others we would get paid to take.

Laine, E. Kane, Ehlers, Vatrano, Kuzmenko, Fabbri (meh), Gallagher & Anderson in Montreal both rough contracts, Anders Lee, Saad, Sheary (nope).

Not a ton out there. Laine makes a lot of sense when he's out of the program. We would off-load a contract or 2 to make the money a little closer too. Could be a low risk, high reward situation and he's under contract for 2 seasons which fits in line to what we are doing.

Curious to see who we add. I just hope we add 1 more impact forward this summer.
Not sure how reliable this is but...

Pretty sure that's a meme, where people started doing that in the offseason or trade deadline, just inserting a picture saying person going to X place.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Sentors re-signed Pinto today - so he's off our grid. :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IDK:

Followed shortly by this:
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Lundell resigned in FLA 6 yr, $5mil/yr deal. I think that may pretty much closes the door on Tarasenko unless they make additional moves.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:32 am Lundell resigned in FLA 6 yr, $5mil/yr deal. I think that may pretty much closes the door on Tarasenko unless they make additional moves.
Florida is said to already be working on extensions for both Bennett and Verhaeghe, so I don't think Tarasenko is returning there.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Man, the Caps really hamstrung themselves with their overhaul. Avs in trouble too.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:26 am
KG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:45 am Little quiet as free agency goes on. Assuming the rumors are true that we have an offer out to Tarasenko that means we are looking for a top 6 forward. Not many options left besides him in free agency. Sprong (nope), Roslovic, he's a 3rd line player.

If we miss out on Tarasenko, then we will have to go the trade route. What top 6 forwards are rumored to be available? Some we would have to pay assets to acquire, others we would get paid to take.

Laine, E. Kane, Ehlers, Vatrano, Kuzmenko, Fabbri (meh), Gallagher & Anderson in Montreal both rough contracts, Anders Lee, Saad, Sheary (nope).

Not a ton out there. Laine makes a lot of sense when he's out of the program. We would off-load a contract or 2 to make the money a little closer too. Could be a low risk, high reward situation and he's under contract for 2 seasons which fits in line to what we are doing.

Curious to see who we add. I just hope we add 1 more impact forward this summer.

Pretty sure that's a meme, where people started doing that in the offseason or trade deadline, just inserting a picture saying person going to X place.
There's a hint in the name of the source. Plus we here at LGP demand tail numbers, seat assignments and miles earned on every plane-based rumor.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I've run a scan on the passenger and flight attendant heads. It all matches up with a flight this morning to Pittsburgh. :roll:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pfim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:45 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:26 am

There's a hint in the name of the source. Plus we here at LGP demand tail numbers, seat assignments and miles earned on every plane-based rumor.
Wait, it's true. Second source:

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Doesn't sound promising.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Yeah - it seems like a pretty basic article. Insert team name, etc... but it is "something" finally uniting the two.

I also missed the intro part where it mentions Yohe... my bad.

EDIT:
LOL! From Yohe's article:
Still, the Penguins, who have precious little money under the salary cap, did have contact with Tarasenko on each of the first two days of the free agency period. It’s believed that other teams have made larger offers to Tarasenko, but the Penguins were hopeful that playing with Sidney Crosby and countryman Evgeni Malkin might enhance the 32-year-old forward to make a pit stop in Pittsburgh.
One team source said that the Penguins were not optimistic that they could land Tarasenko but that there is real interest in acquiring his services.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

If Tarasenko is signed, I would expect Eller or Rakell even to be traded.. I hope its not Eller
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Wouldn't an Eller departure open a spot for one of the "P" kids?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Wow! That was bad on my part! That is some funny ****!!!
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

I would think Eller would be a candidate to go regardless of Tarasenko or any of the young P's. We have Crosby, Malkin, Hayes, and Lizotte down the middle now. Would think they could get some kind of pick back for Eller. Sell high after a good year last year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:41 pm I would think Eller would be a candidate to go regardless of Tarasenko or any of the young P's. We have Crosby, Malkin, Hayes, and Lizotte down the middle now. Would think they could get some kind of pick back for Eller. Sell high after a good year last year.
Agreed on the center depth. Rumors were Dubas was shopping Eller at the deadline last season. We could move him for a mid pick and move Acciari to RW.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:43 am Man, the Caps really hamstrung themselves with their overhaul. Avs in trouble too.

How so?
Gunnerfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Gunnerfan »

Both of Martin St. Louis kids, Lucas and Ryan, are invited to the development camp roster. Not amazing news but certainly interesting.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:00 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:43 am Man, the Caps really hamstrung themselves with their overhaul. Avs in trouble too.

How so?
Caps are 13M over the cap. There's Bäckström's 9.2M, expected to go to LTIR? And there's a3.9M retention on Kuznetsov.
Avs aren't in trouble.. yet. But they have Landeskog's 7M headed for LTIR and Nichushkin's 6.125M on player assistance.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Tarasenko 2 years $4.75mil to Detroit .

Back to the drawing board.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

JMFJ and Petry. The jelly of the month club of roster moves.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

I wonder if there are any other top six LWs that could be had via trade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:14 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:00 pm

How so?
Caps are 13M over the cap. There's Bäckström's 9.2M, expected to go to LTIR? And there's a3.9M retention on Kuznetsov.
Avs aren't in trouble.. yet. But they have Landeskog's 7M headed for LTIR and Nichushkin's 6.125M on player assistance.
I'm assuming the Capitals are assuming that Timothy Jimothee isn't playing for them this year. He wants to play, but his back is messed up. Sounded like he was only coming back if he thought his back would hold up the whole season...didn't want to be in and out of the lineup due to his back. Oshie has this year remaining at 5.75M. You add that to Backstrom's 9.2M, and the caps may actually have 1M in cap space left, enough for a league minimum player to take Oshie's spot.

Colorado is closer to being in trouble. They've got 3.8M in cap space and need 4 more players to fill out their roster. Logon O'Connor is on LTIR with hip injury, 1M AAV. Not sure if he is coming off. Landeskog almost certainly won't be ready for season. I've heard possibly November. That's 7M of space they need to find. This is where sending maybe a Poulin/Puustinen and a late pick for Ross Colton and a pick could be an option...but I wouldn't bank on it.