Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:31 pm
Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:19 pm
One player the Penguins may look to add in free agency is Anthony Beauvillier, team and league sources said. A left-shot forward who can play center, Beauvillier is a 2015 first-round pick whom the Penguins feel could benefit from Sullivan’s system. Familiar with the Penguins from playing against them with the Islanders, Beauvillier likely would have a firm understanding of the Penguins organization as he shares an agent with Letang.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/559737 ... ee-agency/
Under 6 foot - Check
Not overly physical - Check
Not good at faceoffs - Check

Sounds like a Penguin to me.
When Beauvillier was on the Isles he was a solid 3rd line type. Plays with speed but he's really struggled since being traded from there. I would hope we would aim higher. Is he even an upgrade on say Puustinen? He's not a center either.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:46 pm
Surprised he didn't go to market to see what type of crazy contract offers he would have gotten.
Yeah, no kidding. Why not put yourself out there after your one good year? Likely the only chance he's going to have to get bigger oney than he should.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Friedman on the Fan was talking Maple Leafs, saying Leafs like Chris Tanev and wants to go after him, sounding like they are going to let Bertuzzi walk, and that they are trying to get something worked out to keep Domi.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:53 pm
KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:46 pm
Surprised he didn't go to market to see what type of crazy contract offers he would have gotten.
Yeah, no kidding. Why not put yourself out there after your one good year? Likely the only chance he's going to have to get bigger oney than he should.
Well, he probably thought, "I like the coaching staff, I did well in this system and am already settling in/comfortable, and I just got a contract that takes care of me and family for life." Sometimes, it's the devil you know.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:02 pm Friedman on the Fan was talking Maple Leafs, saying Leafs like Chris Tanev and wants to go after him, sounding like they are going to let Bertuzzi walk, and that they are trying to get something worked out to keep Domi.
If you're the Penguins/KD, is Bertuzzi worth taking a shot at?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:16 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:02 pm Friedman on the Fan was talking Maple Leafs, saying Leafs like Chris Tanev and wants to go after him, sounding like they are going to let Bertuzzi walk, and that they are trying to get something worked out to keep Domi.
If you're the Penguins/KD, is Bertuzzi worth taking a shot at?
Nope. too many "down" years. And I never liked him anyway.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Take this post for what it's worth, but:
- Jarry’s reps at Newport Sports that know what’s going on around the league are said to have gone into mode where they feel a trade has accelerated to 50/50. At least two possible suitors are kicking the idea around.
- Reilly Smith was nearly dealt to LA at the deadline and those talks could be revisited. Not sure what the return would be.
- Don't expect the Penguins to sign many (if at all) over 30 UFAs.

https://insidepittsburghsports.com/stor ... ns-buzz-8/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:18 pm Take this post for what it's worth, but:
- Jarry’s reps at Newport Sports that know what’s going on around the league are said to have gone into mode where they feel a trade has accelerated to 50/50. At least two possible suitors are kicking the idea around.
- Reilly Smith was nearly dealt to LA at the deadline and those talks could be revisited. Not sure what the return would be.

TIOPS also said on the 30+ that there was one player on their board, a winger, who was over 30. If I had to guess, it would be Marchessault, but, that also doesn't fit well with Dubas saying he wasn't going after any big fish UFAs. But Marchessault and his speed would fit well into Sullivan's system. Chandler Stephenson is 30, and he's one other 30 or over player I would be ok getting, if the plan was to play him at 3C and bump Eller to 4C.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sounds like Domi is going to market. He could be a good add. Can play C or wing and play with skill players.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:00 pm
dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:18 pm Take this post for what it's worth, but:

TIOPS also said on the 30+ that there was one player on their board, a winger, who was over 30. If I had to guess, it would be Marchessault, but, that also doesn't fit well with Dubas saying he wasn't going after any big fish UFAs. But Marchessault and his speed would fit well into Sullivan's system. Chandler Stephenson is 30, and he's one other 30 or over player I would be ok getting, if the plan was to play him at 3C and bump Eller to 4C.
Can't remember who it was, but they stated that Stamkos could be an option for Pittsburgh. Could play LW with Sid and definitely help the PP. Would be a C option as well.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:23 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:00 pm

Can't remember who it was, but they stated that Stamkos could be an option for Pittsburgh. Could play LW with Sid and definitely help the PP. Would be a C option as well.
I would be okay with Chandler Stephenson, as long as they didn't go much more than 3, possibly 4, years, and assuming they deal Smith's salary. He's a speedy, versatile player who would provide much needed secondary offense and could slide up to wing. But, Crosby-Malkin-Stephenson-Eller down the middle would be pretty legit.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

When can GMs begin to talk to UFAs? I’m assuming before 7/1.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Wyopen wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:52 pm When can GMs begin to talk to UFAs? I’m assuming before 7/1.
It's not supposed to happen until midnight on 7/1, but it's happening now—who are we kidding?
From what I've gathered on rumor sites, Lindholm is already earmarked to Boston and Teravainen to Chicago. We'll see if those two actually happen, but they seem to make sense.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Ken Holland out in EDM
Trouba asked to provide his 15 team no trade list
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:23 pm
I doubt it, but I'll play along.

Stankos comes from the team that has mastered salary cap circumvention, but this would take it to a new level. Ordinarily, I'd be sure it's illegal, but "best sport, worst league " 'n 'at, so hear me out.

The Pens sign Stamkos to a (exaggerating here) 3-year, $1 per year contract as a player, and a 3-year, $10 mil a year contract to coach. Specifically, power play coach.

Why not try it, given that it's the NHL?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Live look at Kyle Dubas today....

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:52 pm Live look at Kyle Dubas today....

If we don't move on from Smith and his $5mill cap hit, it's going to be a pretty pedestrian off-season.

I think KD will take a few swings like he always does.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sharks trade our pick along with a 2nd to move up 3 spots

The Sharks traded up to get the 11th pick of the draft from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for the No. 14 and No. 42 picks.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:37 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:52 pm Live look at Kyle Dubas today....

If we don't move on from Smith and his $5mill cap hit, it's going to be a pretty pedestrian off-season.

I think KD will take a few swings like he always does.
Yeah, that's kind of the move I was hoping that would be made already. I'm not sold that a Jarry trade will happen. Really hoping Reilly Smith doesn't end up being a "well, we need to wait for Guentzel to sign, Necas to be traded, Ehlers to maybe be traded...then the Smith domino may fall" type of thing.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens were rumored to have some interest in Mangiapane. I'm fine with not making this deal. 2nd round pick. Maybe we can get a 3rd for Smith who only has 1 year left on his contract too.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:11 pm

Pens were rumored to have some interest in Mangiapane. I'm fine with not making this deal. 2nd round pick. Maybe we can get a 3rd for Smith who only has 1 year left on his contract too.
I wouldn't have minded landing Mangiapane, but, I also don't think he was one of my top 3 targets. Indifferent to spending a 2nd to have to get him, but as you say, that should set the market for Reilly Smith. Smith has been a much more consistent scorer and point producer than Mangiapane, and cost 800K less.

Dubas needs to get a 2nd or a B-level prospect for Smith, and there's really no reason he shouldn't be able to do it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pagnotta of the 4th Period says Panthers are shopping Aaron Ekblad.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Saros signs an 8 year, 7.5M AAV extension with Nashville. Do they plan on keeping him, or is this a pre-cursor to him being moved somewhere?

EDIT: He will sign on Monday, when he's eligible. Also heard it is 7.74M AAV...because Saros wears #74.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:03 pm Saros signs an 8 year, 7.5M AAV extension with Nashville. Do they plan on keeping him, or is this a pre-cursor to him being moved somewhere?
That's a serious home town discount for Saros.