Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

First and foremost the Pens need to fix this power play. The fact that this team with this top-end talent had a 30th or 31st PP in the league, the head coach should be fired. But since that's not happening...I digress.

We need to get a true goal scorer. One who could score from 25 feet out with a twisted-wrister. Assuming Laine is back and ready to go, I would be very interested in gauging his value. Only 2 years. This PP has been garbage since Kessel was traded for some reason. Until we fix the power play all these ancillary moves won't make a difference.

We also need a real 3C. Eller is fine for what he brings, but we need more depth scoring. i
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cap space cleared so they can make a run for Jake.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:55 pm First and foremost the Pens need to fix this power play. The fact that this team with this top-end talent had a 30th or 31st PP in the league, the head coach should be fired. But since that's not happening...I digress.

We need to get a true goal scorer. One who could score from 25 feet out with a twisted-wrister. Assuming Laine is back and ready to go, I would be very interested in gauging his value. Only 2 years. This PP has been garbage since Kessel was traded for some reason. Until we fix the power play all these ancillary moves won't make a difference.

We also need a real 3C. Eller is fine for what he brings, but we need more depth scoring. i
I think they have the talent to fix the PP. They just need to be willing to play the way they need to. Everybody in the top 6 can score from distance. The problem is they didn't have anyone that played near the paint well. The other problem is their PP passing is horrendous, which prevents them from moving the puck quick enough.

Split up Crosby and Malkin instead of loading up on perimeter, distance pass-first players. Crosby-Bunting-Rust-Karlsson-X on the 1st unit, Malkin-DOC-Rakell, Letang-Y on the 2nd unit, with X and Y sometimes being a 2nd defenseman and sometimes being a 4th forward. This can obviously change if we added another forward for Reilly Smith.

Speaking of Smith, if the Penguins wanted Laine, then Smith for Laine straight up makes sense. Even with the roster that I just posted in the Mock Roster thread, you could change that to Smith for Laine straight up, not trade Jarry, and trade Poulin for Wahlstrom. Everything else stays the same, Laine moves to Line 2 and Rakell 3rd line LW. That roster would still have 1M in cap space with 23 man roster.

I totally agree with Eller to 4C, but, my gut says the Penguins feel Eller played really well last year (he did) and want to keep him at 3C. The reality is, Eller would give this team an incredible 4C, give them added depth if their 3C or higher went down, and keep Acciari from having to play center (which they seem to keep wanting to do for reasons unknown...he's better at wing). Eller to 4C is the right move...but I fear it's the move they aren't even considering.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:09 pm

Cap space cleared so they can make a run for Jake.
Mikheyev, rights to Lafferty, and a 2025 2nd rounder to Chicago for a 2027 4th.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

KG wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:55 pm First and foremost the Pens need to fix this power play. The fact that this team with this top-end talent had a 30th or 31st PP in the league, the head coach should be fired. But since that's not happening...I digress.

It's so hard watching the Pens' power play, and then watching a team like Edmonton. Their power play is just so beautiful to watch. Constant movement, attacking with speed, always threatening, everyone doing circles from high to low to change shooting angles and put defenders on their heels.... then the Pens --- Totally static, and only dangerous in the sense that there is a good chance for a shortie. It's just brutal. The staff deserved any ill-fate that befell them, but in the absence of a coaching change, I would counsel them to spend at least a full week in the off season just watching every power play by the oilers from the date they hired their new staff until the cup finals.

I don't think the personnel is the issue, and I fear that adding a player to try to fix the power play is just putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Saw this quote on Twitter tonight:

Bettman on the Coyotes future now that Meruelo is out: "Somebody would have to solve the arena issue and based on the climate, and I don't mean the weather in Arizona, I don't see the arena issue being resolved anytime soon"

Sounds like Bettman FINALLY realizes that hockey in the Arizona desert is dead. Politicians in the area won't provide the proper support.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:20 pm

It's so hard watching the Pens' power play, and then watching a team like Edmonton. Their power play is just so beautiful to watch. Constant movement, attacking with speed, always threatening, everyone doing circles from high to low to change shooting angles and put defenders on their heels.... then the Pens --- Totally static, and only dangerous in the sense that there is a good chance for a shortie. It's just brutal. The staff deserved any ill-fate that befell them, but in the absence of a coaching change, I would counsel them to spend at least a full week in the off season just watching every power play by the oilers from the date they hired their new staff until the cup finals.

I don't think the personnel is the issue, and I fear that adding a player to try to fix the power play is just putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.
FIRE SULLIVAN :scared:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Buyouts begin today.

Suter getting bought out by Dallas. That's buyout #2 for Suter...
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:21 am Buyouts begin today.

Buyout doesn't save them money...he's on a +35 contract. Weird move, unless they just want to use his roster spot.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

As many have said here already over the past few months.... we are just so far away from the competing teams in the East that it does not make sense to waste another year trying to piece together a team that in the end has no real chance. Teams that were close but missed out are going to load up even more. The Rangers, the Canes, Bruins, etc. Not to mention teams that are already great like the Panthers and Lightning.

The top UFA right now is Jake... If we got him do we now have a chance at the cup? I think the answer is the same answer when we had him. No.
Our stars are another year older, our #1 goalie is constantly MIA during the stretch. We have 2 of the highest paid offensive defensmen in the league with one of the worst powerplays in the league.

I hope Dubas changes course here this summer right after re-signing Sid. Trades away MP, Rust, EK, Smith, Rakell, etc. all for picks and prospects.
I hope to have never heard of the majority of our starting lineup on game 1.

I am getting older, I want to see another cup. The longer we delay this rebuild the longer I have to hope I am around :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Saw a post that Tyler Kennedy said the Pens should have interest in Trouba since he's available.

That's a hell no, TK!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:30 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:21 am Buyouts begin today.

Buyout doesn't save them money...he's on a +35 contract. Weird move, unless they just want to use his roster spot.
Per CapFriendly, it is exempt from 35+ rules:

While this is a 35+ contract, it is exempt from the 35+ buyout rules because it is either 1). One year in length, or 2). Not front-loaded and does not have a signing bonus after the first contract year (as per the 2020 MOU). Please see the Buyout FAQ for more information

Suter's contract only had a signing bonus in year 1, and it was increasing in actual $$ value, so it wasn't front loaded. Dallas will get 2.8M in cap relief this year.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:37 am Saw a post that Tyler Kennedy said the Pens should have interest in Trouba since he's available.

That's a hell no, TK!
Penguins have interest in acquiring all the bad defenseman. Even Rangers fans will tell you Trouba looked awful in the playoffs.

BUT....

Imagine a Graves for Trouba swap. Rangers save a little over 3M this year and next year, and they need to find some cap space. The Penguins go from having 5 more years of a 4.5M cap hit, to 2 years of an 8M cap hit. And, I don't think Trouba is quite as bad as Graves was last season, flying elbows not included in this judgement.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Rangers are trying to move Kakko it sounds like. He signed his qualifying offer already. I would have interest in him if the price is on the cheaper side.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:43 am Rangers are trying to move Kakko it sounds like. He signed his qualifying offer already. I would have interest in him if the price is on the cheaper side.
Kakko for Puustinen
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:42 am
KG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:37 am Saw a post that Tyler Kennedy said the Pens should have interest in Trouba since he's available.

That's a hell no, TK!
Penguins have interest in acquiring all the bad defenseman. Even Rangers fans will tell you Trouba looked awful in the playoffs.

BUT....

Imagine a Graves for Trouba swap. Rangers save a little over 3M this year and next year, and they need to find some cap space. The Penguins go from having 5 more years of a 4.5M cap hit, to 2 years of an 8M cap hit. And, I don't think Trouba is quite as bad as Graves was last season, flying elbows not included in this judgement.
I'm sure Trouba still isn't viewed favorably in that locker room and by the core three because of what he did to Sid. I see no way he ends up in Pittsburgh. Now, Utah could be a viable destination and they can certainly make room for a veteran defenseman and captain.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Does anyone anticipate Dubas using either of our 2 second round picks to move up into the first round? I was thinking something like POJ + the 46th overall pick to move up.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:33 am Does anyone anticipate Dubas using either of our 2 second round picks to move up into the first round? I was thinking something like POJ + the 46th overall pick to move up.
No way. I'd rather have those two picks than a mid or late first rounder. It's pretty much a crapshoot after the top 10 or 15 guys.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Mad City Mike wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:44 am
dark_forces wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:33 am Does anyone anticipate Dubas using either of our 2 second round picks to move up into the first round? I was thinking something like POJ + the 46th overall pick to move up.
No way. I'd rather have those two picks than a mid or late first rounder. It's pretty much a crapshoot after the top 10 or 15 guys.
Same. I would rather have more chances at the roulette table.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Just saw on The Athletic their NHL Trade Big Board (https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/559124 ... pre-draft/). They list Filip Gustavsson as available. Could he and Jarry be the basis of a deal?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

They had an article on Pensburgh today about Dubas's history with moving up or down at the draft, and they found that when he does anything, he tends to move down and aim for quantity over quality.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

One player the Penguins may look to add in free agency is Anthony Beauvillier, team and league sources said. A left-shot forward who can play center, Beauvillier is a 2015 first-round pick whom the Penguins feel could benefit from Sullivan’s system. Familiar with the Penguins from playing against them with the Islanders, Beauvillier likely would have a firm understanding of the Penguins organization as he shares an agent with Letang.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/559737 ... ee-agency/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:19 pm
One player the Penguins may look to add in free agency is Anthony Beauvillier, team and league sources said. A left-shot forward who can play center, Beauvillier is a 2015 first-round pick whom the Penguins feel could benefit from Sullivan’s system. Familiar with the Penguins from playing against them with the Islanders, Beauvillier likely would have a firm understanding of the Penguins organization as he shares an agent with Letang.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/559737 ... ee-agency/
Under 6 foot - Check
Not overly physical - Check
Not good at faceoffs - Check

Sounds like a Penguin to me.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dakota Joshua reups with Vancouver

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:32 pm Dakota Joshua reups with Vancouver

Surprised he didn't go to market to see what type of crazy contract offers he would have gotten.