Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Mad City Mike »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:59 pm

If they make a trade with Calgary then I would think Vladar would come the other way. If not, there is Talbot, Stolarz, Samsonov in UFA. I don't think they will bring in an expensive 1A goalie.
You would trust a Vladar/Ned combo? I wouldn't. Maybe Husso/Ned.

I just don't see Ned as a number 1, so you need one of those, and they just aren't available. Maybe Samsonov? but he flamed out in Toronto.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by praxitas »

If I'm Edmonton I'd be looking at trying to figure out a way to upgrade their goalie situation. Skinner pulled it together games 4-6, but he was ok at best most of the entire playoffs and cost them a game or two. Game 7 he did good, but was still giving up rebounds on shots that should have been handled. They have their own cap drama that would need to be sorted, but if I'm the them I would at least check in.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm So the problem with all of the above is who plays goal if you trade Jarry. Ned is not a number 1. Even at the end of the season, his advanced stats were not that great even though he was winning. Blomqvist doesn't seem to be ready yet. So unless you do a goalie for goalie change of scenery type trade, I don't se homw it works. They have very little to offert to acquire a goalie.
Honestly, I would run with a Ned/Blomqvist split and see where that gets me. There's really no evidence that Blomqvist isn't ready. The whole WBS team kind of folded in their first round loss. Blomqvist let in a few more goals than normal, but otherwise, he was solid all season long. He was also very solid for Karpat in regular season and playoffs, unseating their veteran goalie. Up until WBS lost their playoff round, all the talk was Blomqvist was going to be in the NHL next season, and that is why bringing Ned back was doubtful. If Dubas is using that one series to say Blomqvist isn't ready, than Dubas is Dumass. :D

Ned and Blomqvist start. You have both Larsson and Gauthier in the minors as well, but, they could probably pickup a goalie mid-season if needed. If Edmonton buys out Jack Campbell, I could see Dubas picking him up on a league minimum deal, and stashing him in the AHL.

It all comes down to a very serious, pointed question: How far was this year's team going in the playoffs, or is the 24-25 season team going in the playoffs, if they had someone like Bob or Vasilevskiy in the net.

The answer is, it will help, but they still aren't making a deep run. I'd rather just roll the dice on a tandem of goalies and see what they have. No point chasing an above average goalie for big $$$ when you have a below average, non-playoff team or fringe playoff team.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm So the problem with all of the above is who plays goal if you trade Jarry. Ned is not a number 1. Even at the end of the season, his advanced stats were not that great even though he was winning. Blomqvist doesn't seem to be ready yet. So unless you do a goalie for goalie change of scenery type trade, I don't se homw it works. They have very little to offert to acquire a goalie.
This next season doesn't matter, tbh. The window is nailed shut, time to give some experience to players we need to rebuild with.

A Ned/Blomqvist tandem would fit that narrative. Sending Jarry to DET and getting Helberg back would as well. If he wants to split games with Ned. You can ease in Blomqvist along the way

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:27 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:03 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:09 am The Phoenix Coyotes are no more. According to news out of Arizona, owner Alex Meruelo has given up his fight and plans to walk away from the Arizona Coyotes franchise. If you weren't aware, when NHL decided to move the Coyotes to Utah, Meruelo maintained ownership of all Coyotes intellectual property (team name, colors, records, etc, etc), and I believe he was given 5 years of owning those rights and to build a hockey suitable arena in the Phoenix area.

Meruelo's plan was to win the land auction north of the city and start construction on an arena that likely would have been ready in 2-3 years. This week, the local government cancelled the land auction (with Meruelo expected to easily win the bid on the land), stating that the land was not properly zoned, and that Meruelo would need to file for a Special Use permit before the auction could take place. From what I have read, it had been stated in the past that the land was not zoned as some were interpreting and that there could be issues.

Since Meruelo has no land, he's unlikely to hit the NHL's timeline for bringing hockey back to Arizona.

Article this morning from out in Phoenix: https://gophnx.com/sources-alex-meruelo ... m-coyotes/
How long was it going to take the NHL to realize that the city/state/ etc. of Arizona has never had any interest in maintaining an NHL team there. Truly, after a while it became a pathetic standoff between 2 entities that don't seem to like each other very much. Take the hint and move on already!
I think one of the large problems with Phoenix having an NHL club is, the NHL was so desperate to make it work, they continually allowed sub-standard ownership groups to run the team, just to try and make it work. There were already horror stories about Meruelo before he came into control, and afterwards, stories of telling vendors/suppliers/etc "yeah, I don't care that we have a contract. I don't like your price. I'm only paying this much," constant payroll issues, etc.

The ownership history:
--2 American owners who's original plan was to move the Winnipeg franchise to Minnesota, but couldn't get an arena built
--After 2 years, 1 owner bought out the other, but couldn't get more investors.
--2nd original owner sold team in 2001 to Phoenix developer Steve Ellman (with Gretzky as part owner)
--2005, Ellman sells the team, a lacrosse team, and the arena lease to Jerry Moyes, who was part owner of MLB Diamondbacks
--2008, media becomes aware of massive losses and that NHL was paying some of the team's bills.
--2009, the NHL strips Moyes of his ownership, after he put the team into bankruptcy hours before the NHL was to present an offer for Jerry Reinsdorf (owner of Bulls and White Sox) to buy the club. Moyes also tried to sell the team to our old friend Jim Balsille, who's plan was, of course, to move the team to Hamilton.
--NHL buys the team out of bankruptcy in 2009, but multiple bids to buy the team fall through
--2013, Renaissance Sports and Entertainment buys the team
--2014, RSE sells to Andrew Barroway
--2019, Meruelo buys the team

7 different owners in 25 years, with the NHL and original ownership group the two longest groups maintaining ownership. As for the cities around Phoenix, doing some research on this for this post, it sounds like the team screwed over various cities along the way, likely leading to the problems. From what I read, I believe in 2010-2011 Glendale has to guarantee the team's losses to prevent it from being moved, and 2014 Glendale only received about 2/3 of the money they were expected to recoup after poor ticket sales, parking revenue, and naming rights.

Just a giant cluster-F of things that went wrong.
But, my point is, the governments of the city/county/state never were helpful when any ownership group wanted to build a new arena that the team desperately needed to be successful. They constantly voted down any type of assistance to the team. IMO, get out of town then if they act like they really don't want you there. It's not like there haven't been numerous cities asking for an NHL team over the past 20 years.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:31 pm
This next season doesn't matter, tbh. The window is nailed shut, time to give some experience to players we need to rebuild with.

A Ned/Blomqvist tandem would fit that narrative. Sending Jarry to DET and getting Helberg back would as well. If he wants to split games with Ned. You can ease in Blomqvist along the way
Can't argue with you. Might as well see what Blomqvist has now rather than later.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:18 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:59 pm

If they make a trade with Calgary then I would think Vladar would come the other way. If not, there is Talbot, Stolarz, Samsonov in UFA. I don't think they will bring in an expensive 1A goalie.
You would trust a Vladar/Ned combo? I wouldn't. Maybe Husso/Ned.

I just don't see Ned as a number 1, so you need one of those, and they just aren't available. Maybe Samsonov? but he flamed out in Toronto.
Brossoit could be an option too. I think any of those guys can be a solid Jarry replacement. The coaching staff lost confidence in him and the team like that Ned "battles." Jarry has never been described that way. Move on from him.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I agree that Ned isn't really a #1, but I also don't think we can count on Jarry to be either. Pensburgh did an analysis a few months ago that showed that Jarry's stats consistently declined once he got into the 2nd half of the season. Yeah, he could have all-star stats October-December, but if he always declines to backup level in the second half of the season, is he really a #1? The difference between Jarry and Ned is that Jarry is paid like a #1.

I wouldn't mind trading Jarry, rolling with a Ned/Blomqvist(or reclamation project on a cheap deal like Samsonov), and using the money saved to bolster the roster elsewhere.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

One of the best things I've seen today about the Panthers winning the Cup....was anybody associated with the Panthers completely shunning the Spittin Chiclets guy (is this Rear Admiral? I dunno, I don't care for those guys so other than Biz and Whitney, no idea who is who) after they were hard core pulling for Edmonton the whole series.

Sean Thorton, Keith Tkachuk, and Matthew Tkachuk all calling them out or blowing them off.

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Real strange trade by Detroit. Walman and a 2nd round pick to SJ for future considerations. Walman is far from a cap dump.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pagnotta from the 4th period says Anaheim has intensified talks around goalie John Gibson.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:39 pm Real strange trade by Detroit. Walman and a 2nd round pick to SJ for future considerations. Walman is far from a cap dump.
Yzerman definitely up to something. They weren't cap strapped. They have space to sign Raymond and Seider. Sounds like Stevie Y is chasing a big fish.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:46 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:39 pm Real strange trade by Detroit. Walman and a 2nd round pick to SJ for future considerations. Walman is far from a cap dump.
Yzerman definitely up to something. They weren't cap strapped. They have space to sign Raymond and Seider. Sounds like Stevie Y is chasing a big fish.
Still strange he had to attach a 2nd to move Walman. Rangers got out of the Goodrow contract for free. Very strange. Yzerman is overrated as a GM with the Wings. The Yzerplan is all over the place.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:43 pm Pagnotta from the 4th period says Anaheim has intensified talks around goalie John Gibson.
Watch Detroit go get Gibson.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:46 pm
Yeah, just taking my first look at Puckpedia, and they have them, after the trade, at $31 million in cap space. Of course, that's with only 6 forwards signed and Raymond and Seider left to sign. But even if those 2 RFAs take $12 million between them, they'll have plenty of space to go after the big ticket free agents like Guentzel, Stamkos, and Reinhart.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:53 pm
Yeah, just taking my first look at Puckpedia, and they have them, after the trade, at $31 million in cap space. Of course, that's with only 6 forwards signed and Raymond and Seider left to sign. But even if those 2 RFAs take $12 million between them, they'll have plenty of space to go after the big ticket free agents like Guentzel, Stamkos, and Reinhart.
Maybe Stamkos AND Reinhart?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Shea Weber elected into the HHoF has 2 years left on his contract lol.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:08 pm
largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:53 pm
Maybe Stankos AND Reinhart?
I'll be interested to see what happens with Reinhart. As a Panthers fan second, I feel like the Panthers have enough offense up front that they can survive losing Reinhart more than they can survive losing Montour on the backend. But the local media seems to think Reinhart is the priority, and Reinhart, even on the ice and locker room last night, has let it be known he wants to stay.

The only way Florida can maybe make both work is by moving Verhaeghe (last year of his deal coming up), Rodrigues (hard to do after the playoffs he had and his versatility), Luostarinen, or Spencer Knight. I was looking to see if they could maybe get one or two players (Lundell and someone else) to take a one year cheap deal until cap goes up more in 25-26, but Bennett, Ekblad, and Verhaeghe all need new deals in 25-26. No easy solution.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Reinhart will get way ovedrpaid by someone because of his great season. FLA should likely pass on that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Kings, Wings, Carolina, and Rangers all said to be circling/positioning for a run at Guentzel.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:24 pm Kings, Wings, Carolina, and Rangers all said to be circling/positioning for a run at Guentzel.
Anybody but the Rangers. They already stole traitor Trocheck.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:52 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:43 pm Pagnotta from the 4th period says Anaheim has intensified talks around goalie John Gibson.
Watch Detroit go get Gibson.
And Zegras.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

HHOF avoids inducting Alexander Mogilny....again. 1000 points, Stanley Cup, first player to defect from Russia. But hey, we got Jeremy Roenick into the Hall.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:44 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:24 pm Kings, Wings, Carolina, and Rangers all said to be circling/positioning for a run at Guentzel.
Anybody but the Rangers. They already stole traitor Trocheck.
What about the Blackhawks? I thought they were looking for someone to mentor Bedard.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:58 pm HHOF avoids inducting Alexander Mogilny....again. 1000 points, Stanley Cup, first player to defect from Russia. But hey, we got Jeremy Roenick into the Hall.
Roenick is an idiot. Way more hockey skills than brains.