Tombstone Warz Post Game Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Tombstone Warz Post Game Thread

Post by columbia »

It didn't matter if the red were NAN or canaan.
The village would have just killed the other in the day phase.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Boss good game
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

relantel wrote:
redwill wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:Indeed, it's remarkable we made it this far.
No ****. That's what everyone is saying. Take the compliment.
like I said in the dead thread - one can play a great game and still die.

Sometimes luck plays a role. I think had we been playing a limit game, the post-columbia vote portion of the game would have been different. The extra time helped us, as it went from a bandwagon vote to having some thought and changes involved. We weren't certain columbia was blue. But I didn't think all of the reds would have piled on him even if he was. So I pulled back during a rare (for me) phone session.
I thought this was silly logic at the time, but you guys were dead on. It really didn't matter if you pulled off or not though, as we were on Columbia and the other voters knew each other. At that point though, there were only 9 players -- the three of us, the three of you, columbia, and 2 other blues. So statistically, it was guaranteed that reds were on him.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

MWB wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Nan, pfidc, hammer, why did you elect MWB to be sheriff instead of one of your own?

Also, was it luck that you chose MWB night one?
I "figured" out Kraftster and Rel, but MWB was pure chance. Just shot for a good player.

NAN's advice for being red was play like you're blue. I took you at your word that the sheriff was only going to break tie votes (and thus I determined it wasn't that meaningful), so if I were blue, I would have wanted to make sure I gave it to a good guy. MWB was the only guy we knew was good at this point, so I lobbied for him.
The other thing that was kind of suspicious about you was when you went MIA after the pfidc kill. We were surprised by the lack of discussion about that and about how rel and I both avoided kills.
I think all the MIAs for all of us were legit. The first two days, I was in a ton of meetings as we are converting to a new accoutnign system. So I'd check in every so often. And w/o following closely, I didn't want to talk much and say something I couldn't. Today was the first day I was at my desk.

There were periods too where there were gaps in PMs for all of us, but that happens.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

columbia wrote:It didn't matter if the red were NAN or canaan.
The village would have just killed the other in the day phase.
This, and I PMd that to my red gang that it was over.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Learned a serious lesson in this game...

Don't start any sentences with "I".
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Yeah, I legit went out last night and was hungover this morning. I searched my posts, and wished I had participated more. There were a couple times where I wanted to say something but didn't so maybe you did pick up on those instances.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I think the columbia vote was where we started to unravel too. We played it like it was a limit vote, but then SDD was sick and said the time was extended indefinitely and so a ton of discussion started.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

First of all, I love warz. So sad I've missed out on this for so long. Second, it's funny learning as I go because I find different things are tells than you guys do.

I also think I use probability more frequently. At times, I think it makes a lot of sense to plan 3 day phases in a row depending on what you know. No one really seems to employ that kind of strategy. I almost suggested doing so (in pretending like I was a blue), but it would have hurt us quite a bit.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

TheHammer24 wrote:Yeah, I legit went out last night and was hungover this morning. I searched my posts, and wished I had participated more. There were a couple times where I wanted to say something but didn't so maybe you did pick up on those instances.
I tried to incorporate your drinking story into the write up for your death.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

newarenanow wrote:I think the columbia vote was where we started to unravel too. We played it like it was a limit vote, but then SDD was sick and said the time was extended indefinitely and so a ton of discussion started.
I don't think this had anything to do with the time extending. Like I said, it was 3- 3 - 2, and they got a see and a kill that night. They were destined to figure everything out after they killed Columbia.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:Yeah, I legit went out last night and was hungover this morning. I searched my posts, and wished I had participated more. There were a couple times where I wanted to say something but didn't so maybe you did pick up on those instances.
I tried to incorporate your drinking story into the write up for your death.
Hahahhaaha! I didn't pick up on that at the time. Yep - definitely contributed.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Has Mac's fabricated story ever been an RP? I think something like this would be interesting.

3 Reds - 1 kill a night, 1 recruit

Green Vig - 1 kill a night, 1 Recruit
Green Seer - See every night
Green Angel - 1 protect a night

1 Yellow - No powers
Both recruits become yellows - The yellows know each other but have no powers and cannot communicate. Alpha and Vig get a night 1 protect; the yellow defactors can only be killed by lynch mob.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

newarenanow wrote:I think the columbia vote was where we started to unravel too. We played it like it was a limit vote, but then SDD was sick and said the time was extended indefinitely and so a ton of discussion started.
Yes. Since there was no limit I had time last night and looked through hammer, Canaan, and Columbia. It was my thought that Columbia was probably blue. However, rel or red said it really wouldn't matter because evenif he was blue we'd gotten good info on that vote and it would narrow down numbers.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

<-- Sacrificial lamb
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Great game SDD and players. It was fun to watch.
SDD - the hint given in the Day 1 and Night 2 write-ups seemed intentional? I couldn't believe no one picked up on it.
Spoiler:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Willie Kool was having a drink at the Capital Saloon when Gaucho thought he saw a glimpse of red coming from under his coat. "He must be a Cowboy!"
Kraftster was playing a game of faro with NAN and TheHammer24 nearby and overhead Gaucho. "Let's get him!" They cried. Soon a posse had formed to lynch poor Willie.
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:After Willie Kool's hanging, Doc returned to his game of faro at the Capital Saloon. One of his playing partners claimed Doc had cheated, and threatened to kill him. Doc said "I was playing square. If you want to fight, I'll be your huckleberry!" The other man quickly backed down.

After a couple more faro games and a lot more shots of whiskey, Doc stumbled out of the Saloon onto the streets of Tombstone. A rain began to fall, and that is when Doc heard a voice cry "I'll be your huckleberry!"

Before Doc could draw his gun and confront the voice, he was shot in the back.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:Learned a serious lesson in this game...

Don't start any sentences with "I".
Lol. Sorry, dude. I don't know what came over me. My inspector gadget alarm went wonky
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah it was intentional. I was surprised no one caught it. I actually gave out a lot of hints in the write ups that went undiscussed. The biggest thing that was discussed was why I colored MWB blue for the first write up. I did that only because in the past games i was in I've seen all players initially shown as green until they are outed.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

That's funny. Honestly, at this point I don't put any stock into what names are mentioned in the write ups. Guess that should change.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

TheHammer24 wrote:
MWB wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Looking back I would have only allowed the green vig to kill every other night once the vendetta began. I also would have not allowed the green recruit to take Wyatt's place after the vig died. I also should have made Wyatt safe every 3 nights instead of every other night.

I didn't expect the reds to target MWB the first night. If they had targeted someone else night one, Kraftster probably wouldn't know that MWB was Wyatt since at that point the greens weren't allowed to talk.
I will say, if I didn't have the night one protect it probably would have been a quick win for the reds though. Kraftster and I would have been out in the first two nights and relantel would have been on his own the rest of the way.
I'm not sure I would have gone after Kraftster, if you didn't get the protect, though. As Caanan was pointing out, Kraftster's ostensible knowledge of you not being protected by an angel was a little tip off. I may still gone after him though, because he's come in late and barely participated last two games, and this game he was active at the start, so I assumed he got a PM.

I'm not sure how I displayed ostensible knowledge that MWB was not protected, I was actually trying to sell that he was protected. I protected myself that night (not sure why my PM didn't get in, I turned it around in about 15 minutes, I thought -- sorry SDD if you did not get it) because I could protect myself on back-to-back nights. But, I clearly played poorly on the first day judging by columbia and nan's comments that the results of the night "explained my posts." Poor game for me, I guess. I truly believed MWB was blue being colored as such in the write up, so, I was trying to play blue but putting myself right out there and not shying away from my theories. I guess I must have seemed like I knew that MWB was not the angel?

As for being a non-par, I feel the need to point out that you are wrong about last game only because I don't want you to think in the future that when I participate I am a non-blue. I fully participated in the previous game -- I was brawling with EPP and led the bandwagon on him before being killed early (night 2 or 3, I think). The Doc game around xmas was a game I forgot about. I didn't post one time in that game. I think that was my first non-par game.

NAN suggested you were the angel, and as such, we couldn't risk going after you twice in a row, but ideally we should have killed you again on night 2. That way you would have lost your recruit and your vig powers, and the game would have been a lot more symmetrical.
I'm happy to at least hear this because this is precisely why I protected MWB on night 2 and not myself. I figured that you would have shot at MWB again, operating under the assumption that he could not protect himself two nights in a row.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Not once did we attempt to kill a blue. Every kill we had was on a green
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Willie Kool wrote:Great game SDD and players. It was fun to watch.
SDD - the hint given in the Day 1 and Night 2 write-ups seemed intentional? I couldn't believe no one picked up on it.
Spoiler:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Willie Kool was having a drink at the Capital Saloon when Gaucho thought he saw a glimpse of red coming from under his coat. "He must be a Cowboy!"
Kraftster was playing a game of faro with NAN and TheHammer24 nearby and overhead Gaucho. "Let's get him!" They cried. Soon a posse had formed to lynch poor Willie.
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:After Willie Kool's hanging, Doc returned to his game of faro at the Capital Saloon. One of his playing partners claimed Doc had cheated, and threatened to kill him. Doc said "I was playing square. If you want to fight, I'll be your huckleberry!" The other man quickly backed down.

After a couple more faro games and a lot more shots of whiskey, Doc stumbled out of the Saloon onto the streets of Tombstone. A rain began to fall, and that is when Doc heard a voice cry "I'll be your huckleberry!"

Before Doc could draw his gun and confront the voice, he was shot in the back.
When I was watching the game and I decided NAN was red I went back and thought about this. Made me a bit less surprised to see that Hammer was red.

Willie - I quickly felt you were blue on Day 1 after initially thinking I might have something. I stuck with you, however, because I thought it would help ensure that I would not be killed that night (let someone leading the charge against a green live). My position was that if you were blue I would save MWB because I figured they'd let me live. If you were red I was going to save myself.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I also think its tough to criticize games when there is a perfect storm for one side or the other. It always appears like one side is overpowered if that sort of perfect storm hits. When you're designing a game with some different wrinkles its very difficult to run every iteration of how things may unfold and you sometimes run into an overpowering sequence of events. If a few things go a little differently, though, it could be a perfectly even game. I really liked the design, SDD.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

mac5155 wrote:Not once did we attempt to kill a blue. Every kill we had was on a green
Can I get a village loss? What what.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

A slight clue for the reds on the day 3 write up was MWB disarmed shad in front of the Oriental. That was where Wyatt had a gambling stake in the movie.