Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

If Melichar is resigned and makes this team...I might have to jump off the Clemente Bridge.
Last edited by Kovy27 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
evilpens

Post by evilpens »

Kovy27 wrote:If Melichar is resigned and makes this team...I might have to jump of the Clemente Bridge.
You might have to talk to ziggystardust & he'll set you straight on Meliturd. :lol: :roll:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Okay, I am one who has expressed plenty of hate toward Melichar. But he wasn't alone in feeling my wrath. He, Scuderi, and Nasreddine all fall into the same group. What I wroter earlier this summer about Melichar really applies to all of them:
The only way he comes back is if he gets no offers on the open market. But that is a distinct possibility. I would take him back as a 7/8 guy who only plays when necessary and only plays limited minutes at that. His lack of puck-handling skills and physicality overshadow his sound positional play.
I will amend a bit and say 6-7-8 is a role for a guy like him.
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Thorburn was better than petro, imo. I never really jumped on the petro train, so im not that surprised/saddened by the loss.

the real loss on this day is the answer. ho hum.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by magnum »

If you look at what Ray Shero about signing defensemen etc... Our defense would look like this.

Gonchar - Eaton
Whitney - Orpik
Letang - Free Agent

Is our defense really that much better than last years? While Letang has offensive upside, right shot, can move the puck for a transition game, he likely is going to have a lot of struggles this year, especially defensively.

We have 1 physical defenseman in our top 4 (Orpik). Unfortunately he's our worst defenseman as well IMO. After watching the Senators and The Ducks and seeing how our defense faired against Ottawa in the playoffs, are our top pairings enough?

Personally I'd rather see Eaton take over the 5 slot on defense and be paired with Letang. Eaton is a reliable defenseman who is good positionally that can cover for Letang. Gonchar needs someone good positionally like Eaton that can cover for him but we need a defenseman that is physical in that top pairing to offset Gonchar's softness.

Personally I'm not wild about Orpik. I never have been. While he appeared to make some strides defensively last year, he did so while seemingly taking his physical game out of the picture when he played alright defense. You ask Orpik to hit someone and all of the suddenly the rest of his game goes down the crapper.

I'm not sure that I'm all that excited after reading about what Ray shero said. I'll wait of course until everything is finalized but our Defensive corps appear to look weak after you read what Shero says.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Obviously this comes as a disappointment if you were expecting the Pens to get a legit top line winger and a legit top two defenseman. I've been trying to guard everyone's expectations for a while now. Letang's being a part of the defense should come as no surprise. It seems they only have interest in Melichar and Scuderi as either a depth defenseman or at worst a fall back option, and that's progress right there.

A big name guy should never have been expected. Shero's not going for quick fixes. The team can't afford to get into long-term high priced contracts with anyone because the cap room won't exist in two years. They have their stars. On D, they're going to build with Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, Sneep, etc. guys who are all new-age defensemen. That might disappoint those expecting an All-Star team now and for everything to happen at once but this is still a work in progress.

I still wouldn't rule out Orpik being traded and replaced by another defenseman. With Letang in the plans they're going to have to protect him a bit, at least at first. His even strength minutes might be limited and it's highly unlikely he'll be killing penalties. Orpik was at the bottom of the depth chart on penalty killing last season. Melichar and Scuderi were our top two guys minute-wise. If they keep Orpik, that either means they have to bump up both Gonchar and Whitney or bump up one of them and put Orpik on the PK. Either way, that seems like a weaker arrangement of an area that already wasn't particularly strong. I can't see Shero being satisfied there.

I'm glad to see Filewich and Kennedy being talked about as potential options if Recchi and/or Roberts don't return. I'd much rather give those two kids a shot than waste time and money on a Ladislav Nagy or some other overpriced non-difference maker. Shero has to be smart enough to realize that with the world class talent we have with Crosby, Malkin, and Staal we don't need to spend big money solidifying an offense that will already be among the league's best if not the best. Not when you have a relatively much weaker defense.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I would not be surprised to see the Czech National team sign Melichar to play in Manhattan. Seems like a good fit for him and them.

I also expect Scuds and Nas to be back and then rotate with Letang as the 3rd pairing.

This means if we want an upgrade it means we deal orpik and a guy like EC for a better defenseman who is strugling elswhere. I think the Yotes could trade us Boynton or Morris, which ever one they don;t want, for Orpik straight up just to shed the salary and that would be an upgrade for us and then they still have the other one and Jovo.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by puckeye »

I'm at a loss to believe that Shero is counting on a 20yr old with 6 games of NHL experience to be in his top 6

They can upgrade the defense without breaking the bank and then any success Letang has would be icing on the cake.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

puckeye wrote:I'm at a loss to believe that Shero is counting on a 20yr old with 6 games of NHL experience to be in his top 6

They can upgrade the defense without breaking the bank and then any success Letang has would be icing on the cake.
Agree.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I've thought about Melichar ending up in NY and it makes sense but I don't think they have any room for him. Their top six is looking like Rozsival, Malik, Rachunek, Tyutin, Mara, plus guys like Pock, Girardi, and most importantly Marc Staal who may be ready. If the latter three guys aren't in the plans then I'd absolutely expect Jagr to vouch for Melichar.

I don't want Morris or Boynton, especially Boynton. He's used the same way in Phoenix as Orpik is here basically. With Morris you're tying yourself up at $4 million for the next two years on a chronic underachiever. I don't particularly want any team's scraps on D, especially a bad team like Phoenix.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

puckeye wrote:I'm at a loss to believe that Shero is counting on a 20yr old with 6 games of NHL experience to be in his top 6

You're selling Letang short. He has 7 games of NHL experience and a game in the AHL. :lol:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I'm at a loss to believe that Shero is counting on a 20yr old with 6 games of NHL experience to be in his top 6
You act like Letang is some ordinary player. He's emerged as a very good prospect who would have been a top ten pick in 2005 if they re-did the draft. He's extremely talented and extremely driven. He's got all the tools to succeed in today's NHL. Letang will be making a difference by the end of the season. Given the way Shero's talking about him, he'll be on the bottom pairing even strength paired with a veteran guy to be acquired. Sounds like a good arrangement to me. It's not like they're going to be giving him 25 minutes and expecting him to be a Norris candidate.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

DelPen wrote:I also expect Scuds and Nas to be back and then rotate with Letang as the 3rd pairing.
I hope you're wrong on that one. Scuderi and Nasreddine have so little ability with the puck, they almost make Melichar look like Bobby Orr by comparison. I'm not a huge Melichar fan, but I'd take him back in a heartbeat over either of those other two.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

You act like Letang is some ordinary player. He's emerged as a very good prospect who would have been a top ten pick in 2005 if they re-did the draft. He's extremely talented and extremely driven. He's got all the tools to succeed in today's NHL.
I wouldn't count on a player with those credentials being in my top 6 after 7 NHL games anymore than I would Letang.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

You as a Pens fan more than anyone should not be talking down a player because he's young and inexperienced. I guess Crosby, Malkin, and Staal proved that you can't count on young players in big roles. Obviously he's inexperienced but you have to start somewhere. He doesn't just magically become experienced even if given time in the AHL and a prospect of his level generally doesn't spend much if any time in the minors.
T2daK668711

Re: Ekman, Petro, Kiwi, Cairns expected to be let go

Post by T2daK668711 »

schreibdog wrote:
I'm bummed about Petro. I liked him on our 4th line much more than BGL.
you and me both... :/
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I don't get it. Because of Crosby, Malkin and Staal (all forwards, btw), I should expect all young players with talent to step right into pro hockey and play a vital role in the team's success?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Anyone want to take a guess how many games brian Rafalski played prior to joining the Devils in 1999 and becoming their 3rd best defensemen behind two of the all time greats?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

DelPen wrote:Anyone want to take a guess how many games brian Rafalski played prior to joining the Devils in 1999 and becoming their 3rd best defensemen behind two of the all time greats?
None, although he was 26 and had already played pro hockey for 4 years.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by puckeye »

Henry Hank wrote:
You act like Letang is some ordinary player. He's emerged as a very good prospect who would have been a top ten pick in 2005 if they re-did the draft. He's extremely talented and extremely driven. He's got all the tools to succeed in today's NHL. Letang will be making a difference by the end of the season. Given the way Shero's talking about him, he'll be on the bottom pairing even strength paired with a veteran guy to be acquired. Sounds like a good arrangement to me. It's not like they're going to be giving him 25 minutes and expecting him to be a Norris candidate.
Can that happen? absolutely but if I'm Shero I think I have to prepare for the possibility that the kid, considering his size, could be over matched in defensive zone and begins to lose confidence.

If he proves w/out a doubt that he belongs, the Pens would be all the better for the depth
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pfim wrote:
DelPen wrote:Anyone want to take a guess how many games brian Rafalski played prior to joining the Devils in 1999 and becoming their 3rd best defensemen behind two of the all time greats?
None, although he was 26 and had already played pro hockey for 4 years.
But how did that turn out for the Devils relying on a guy with zero NHL experience? Letang coming in is the same as signing a quality free agent, just like bringing Malkin in last year could have been viewed the same. Staal just blew everyone away and was a surprise. But players honored with awards that letang has earned are pretty much ready for the NHL especially after 4 years of juniors.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by magnum »

I'm not worried about Letang. He's an upgrade over what we had in thwe 5/6 slot last year regardless of experience.

I'm personally more concerned with our Top 4 being Gonchar, Eaton, Whitney and Orpik. That's the same Top4 we had last year ad into the playoffs I believe and it did us no good. I have nothing against Whitney but he needs to be paired with someone better than Orpik. Eaton is decent but he's not Top line defenseman. We need someone who is more physical in that rule that has the other qualities that Eaton possesses.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

But how did that turn out for the Devils relying on a guy with zero NHL experience? Letang coming in is the same as signing a quality free agent, just like bringing Malkin in last year could have been viewed the same. Staal just blew everyone away and was a surprise. But players honored with awards that letang has earned are pretty much ready for the NHL especially after 4 years of juniors.
I just don't see the correlation. One guy was 26 years old, played 4 years of college hockey, almost 200 games as a pro, and came in to make an impact. The other guy has played 4 years of junior, was a disaster in his own end during his 7 game trial in the NHL, and has 8 games of professional hockey to his credit. I think it's expecting too much of him to come in and play well enough to help the NHL team next season, just as it would have been to expect Rafalski to come in and do the same after he left college, without the pro hockey experience.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

I don't think the Letang top 6 projection is offbase. If you look at his peer group from the Canadian WJC team most if not all will project into top 6 roles this season.

Letang - Pit
Staal - NYR
Parent - Phi
Bourdon - Van
Russell - Clb

The Pens will have 7 or 8 dmen on the roster so he won't be handed a job.

Welch wasn't given a job because he couldn't handle it. He was demoted and replaced with a minor league vet that also had a 2 way contract. Naz played several games for the Pens so it wasn't as if Welch was demoted because of his 2 way deal, Welch was demoted because he wasn't good enough.

The Pens should be expected to add 2 or 3 guys per year to the NHL roster from the AHL, CHL, NCAA, etc. It is the most logical way to build the NHL team. Assets like Letang and Filewich were drafted for this purpose. Every asset can't be bought (overpriced UFAs) or traded for.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Too bad for Petro,others i wont miss...
we should re-sign T-bo and Nas