Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Tico Rick wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:02 pm
KG wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:03 pm https://chl.ca/whl/article/warriors-alt ... -penguins/

Yager continues developing.
I really do not want them to trade this kid. We need a good young, driven player on this team. He can be part of the future.
I really want to see the Pens trade for Yagger's teammate Jagger Firkus and then sign Jaromir Jagr. Then we could have a Jagger-Yagger-Jagr line.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Penguins trade for Firkus just to potentially pair him with Yager in the future.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Sams_Dog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:52 pm
BigMcK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm
KG wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:03 pm https://chl.ca/whl/article/warriors-alt ... -penguins/

That article presents him as a solidly grounded young man.
I am pulling for him to make it to the NHL Penguins than to be used as a trade chip for another middle to late career player.
Couldn't disagree more. This kid shows all the signs of being a very good young player and the Pens are going to despaeratly need those kinds of players on entry level deals in the next 2-4 years in order to have any chance to be competitive. Keep him, develop him, and then sign him long term if he shows he's worth it.
The way I worded it, my comments didn't come out right. I want him to make the team as the wave of the future, instead of being just a trade chip to fill current holes. I can't recall a recent draft pick that sounds like a winning prospect.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

If we want to get younger and faster we need to keep Poulin, Yager, Koivunen, Ponomarev etc.. they deserve a chance!? Not be just another trade filler ..
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am Looking ahead at the semis, I'm picking Stars vs Panthers. Think that might be the most entertaining SCF too. Stars to win that.

So.... It'll most likely be Rags Vs Oilers :lol:
What a dilemma! I hate them all in varying degrees.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:25 am
Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am Looking ahead at the semis, I'm picking Stars vs Panthers. Think that might be the most entertaining SCF too. Stars to win that.

Lesser of 4 evils! :) I'm pulling for Florida because I can't stand the Rangers - the pre-show last night - you would have sworn it was only the Rangers playing, I don't think they mentioned Florida once! Sickening. Thank you Panthers for the huge win!

Edmonton - I don't know if it would be a blessing or a curse for them to win. Will they finally shut up about McDavid and his Cup? Or would they NEVER shut up about it if they do win? But Dallas is very "Meh" for me. I like Edmonton the team better.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 am

Lesser of 4 evils! :) I'm pulling for Florida because I can't stand the Rangers - the pre-show last night - you would have sworn it was only the Rangers playing, I don't think they mentioned Florida once! Sickening. Thank you Panthers for the huge win!

Edmonton - I don't know if it would be a blessing or a curse for them to win. Will they finally shut up about McDavid and his Cup? Or would they NEVER shut up about it if they do win? But Dallas is very "Meh" for me. I like Edmonton the team better.
Dallas is the deeper team with better tending. I like McDavid and I have advocated for Knoblauch as a coach on here previously, but I don't think they have enough defensively to stop Dallas.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:47 am
Pitts wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 am

Dallas is the deeper team with better tending. I like McDavid and I have advocated for Knoblauch as a coach on here previously, but I don't think they have enough defensively to stop Dallas.
Me, I really like watching Oettinger.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Saw an article today that said the Leafs are the top destination for DeBrusk. He is going to get paid and likely overpaid
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Leafs owes nothing to Keefe.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:07 pm Saw an article today that said the Leafs are the top destination for DeBrusk. He is going to get paid and likely overpaid
Aren't they up against the cap? Rumors keep swirling about a Marner trade though, so maybe?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Best case scenario is the Stars and Mavericks win titles and the Cowboys go 0-17.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:07 pm Saw an article today that said the Leafs are the top destination for DeBrusk. He is going to get paid and likely overpaid
I'll widen my list of off-season targets a bit. Choose 1 from column A, 1 from B, and 1 from C:

A) "The center" Pinto, Sissons, Roslovic, Stenlund
B) "The grittier top 6er" DeBrusk, Bertuzzi, Mantha, someone via trade
C) "The grittier bottom 6er" Duhaime, Joshua, McBain, Frederic, Lomberg
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Stenlund
Bertuzzi
Joshua

I believe this will certainly make ustough to play against
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:05 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm After we re-signed St.Ivany and Gruden, Dubas also signed Czech D-man Filip Kral, who played in Finland last season, was best offensive defensman of the league, former Maple Leafs pick. He is 24yrs old, 6'2 / 198lbs - signed to one year deal only.
I heard Kral's middle name is Juuso. 8-)
:D could be in 'Burgh from day 1 lol
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Pinto
Crouse
Duhaime
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:47 am Pinto
Crouse
Duhaime
Would cost a lot of assets to trade for Crouse and Pinto. Would love to get them obviously.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens invite Martin St. Louis's son to summer development camp:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/5/24/241 ... pment-camp
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Odds and ends....

DK mentioned in his Friday Insider piece today that he knows that there have been some internal discussions about moving Malkin to wing for the 24-25 season. Says he doesn't know how serious or how far those discussions have gone, but he knows they have happened. (Actually, I see he did a Daily Shot on that topic today, also. Haven't listened to it yet).

From my point of view...if that happens, the Penguins obviously then need to find a 2C...which won't be cheap. I think they'd have to go after Elias Lindholm, Stamkos...or Pinto. And as much as I like Pinto, I don't think he's grown enough to be a full-time 2C in 24-25. I'm also trying to remember if Stamkos was playing more wing than center this year.

The other Penguin mention he had in the insider was on team finances. The team is not hurting financially, as some people assumed the recent firings in the business side were an indication of financial struggles. DK says via team sources, he was told on February 7th vs Winnipeg, the team surpassed their 22-23 revenue mark. Dynamic ticket pricing has helped tremendously.

Taylor Haase is in Saginaw, watching the Memorial Cup tournament and speaking to Yager. Some things of note is, Yager said when he came to training camp or dev camp, he realized how weak he is on faceoffs compared to the pro level. He's been working a lot with Matt Cullen on improving faceoffs. He'll seek out tips from Cullen, Cullen may watch 5-10 of his recent games worth of faceoffs and tell him where he needs to improve or why he might be struggling. His coach says they know he can score, but he's made really big strides in his defensive game the last 2 years. His coach also seemed to echo what Jessie and Taylor have said, that he needs to get a bit bigger and stronger to handle the pro game (he's up to about 173lbs this year), but his coach also said he wouldn't count Yager out in terms of making the Penguins. Said he's seen so much improvement year over year that, it's not out of the question that he could make the jump.

Finally, Penguins are inviting Ryan St. Louis (Martin's son) to dev camp. He's a 20 year old undrafted LW who has played in college and the USHL.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Don Waddell has stepped down as Hurricanes GM, and Eric Tulsky is currently the interim GM (lots of talk he's going to get the job).

Waddell's contract was not going to be renewed (not sure if it expired this summer or next), and he was already told by ownership he could talk to other teams.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 pm Don Waddell has stepped down as Hurricanes GM, and Eric Tulsky is currently the interim GM (lots of talk he's going to get the job).

Waddell's contract was not going to be renewed (not sure if it expired this summer or next), and he was already told by ownership he could talk to other teams.
A lot of the usual insiders have said Waddell has already interviewed with CBJ. I would hold out for a better job if I was him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Here's the latest AFP projections for max contracts on some UFA players that have been discussed:

--Reinhart, 8x11.3M
--Guentzel, 7x9.25M
--Stamkos, 3x6.13M
--Montour, 6x7.7M
--Skjei, 5x7.5M
--Lindholm, 5x6.75M
--Stephenson, 5x5.6M
--Teravainen, 4x5.2M
--Bertuzzi, 4x5.25M
--DeBrusk, 5x5.8M
--Domi, 2x3.5M
--Joshua, 4x3.25M
--Duclair, 3x4.3M
--Nedeljkovic, 2x2.3M
--Mantha, 3x4.7M
--Zucker, 2x3.7M
--Roslovic, 3x3M
--Duhaime, 3x1.8M
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:58 pm Here's the latest AFP projections for max contracts on some UFA players that have been discussed:

--Reinhart, 8x11.3M
--Guentzel, 7x9.25M
--Stamkos, 3x6.13M
--Montour, 6x7.7M
--Skjei, 5x7.5M
--Lindholm, 5x6.75M
--Stephenson, 5x5.6M
--Teravainen, 4x5.2M
--Bertuzzi, 4x5.25M
--DeBrusk, 5x5.8M
--Domi, 2x3.5M
--Joshua, 4x3.25M
--Duclair, 3x4.3M
--Nedeljkovic, 2x2.3M
--Mantha, 3x4.7M
--Zucker, 2x3.7M
--Roslovic, 3x3M
--Duhaime, 3x1.8M
Ouf, Zucker that signed a 1-year contract to be able to get a better when the cap goes up, so they said.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:58 pm Here's the latest AFP projections for max contracts on some UFA players that have been discussed:

--Reinhart, 8x11.3M
--Guentzel, 7x9.25M
--Stamkos, 3x6.13M
--Montour, 6x7.7M
--Skjei, 5x7.5M
--Lindholm, 5x6.75M
--Stephenson, 5x5.6M
--Teravainen, 4x5.2M
--Bertuzzi, 4x5.25M
--DeBrusk, 5x5.8M
--Domi, 2x3.5M
--Joshua, 4x3.25M
--Duclair, 3x4.3M
--Nedeljkovic, 2x2.3M
--Mantha, 3x4.7M
--Zucker, 2x3.7M
--Roslovic, 3x3M
--Duhaime, 3x1.8M
I could see Lindholm getting more AAV than that. 2-way top 6 centers don't grow on trees. Domi will get a lot more than that too. Stephenson could be someone we look at if we really move Geno to LW.

Maybe we kick the tires on a PLD trade? Could probably get rid of the Graves and Jarry contracts to make the deal work.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:40 pm
Sams_Dog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:52 pm
BigMcK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm

That article presents him as a solidly grounded young man.
I am pulling for him to make it to the NHL Penguins than to be used as a trade chip for another middle to late career player.
Couldn't disagree more. This kid shows all the signs of being a very good young player and the Pens are going to despaeratly need those kinds of players on entry level deals in the next 2-4 years in order to have any chance to be competitive. Keep him, develop him, and then sign him long term if he shows he's worth it.
The way I worded it, my comments didn't come out right. I want him to make the team as the wave of the future, instead of being just a trade chip to fill current holes. I can't recall a recent draft pick that sounds like a winning prospect.
Oh I see what you mean.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:05 pm
I'll widen my list of off-season targets a bit. Choose 1 from column A, 1 from B, and 1 from C:

A) "The center" Pinto, Sissons, Roslovic, Stenlund
B) "The grittier top 6er" DeBrusk, Bertuzzi, Mantha, someone via trade
C) "The grittier bottom 6er" Duhaime, Joshua, McBain, Frederic, Lomberg
A) I'm on board the Pinto train.
B) someone via trade (or) Domi
C) Duhaime