Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:27 am Wonder if there a trade to be made that’s Graves and Smith for a forward with a similar combined cap hit for about 3-4 more years that is just not fitting in and that team is desperate for a LD.
Mid-way through the season, a friend kept saying keep an eye on Graves for Kotkaniemi. If Carolina were to lose Skjei, they are going to need a LD. I'm sure Ryan Graves isn't their first, second, or 10th choice. But, while Graves has 5 more years at 4.5M, Kotkaniemi has 6 more years at 4.85M left on his deal. Kotkaniemi has not lived up to his draft status, but he'd be a fairly solid, slightly overpaid 3C here. If Carolina wanted to shift some funds from forwards to defense, this could be a way for them to do it.

Smith, I'm not sure that he'll be hard to move. Depending on what other plans Dubas has this summer, my preference would be to just ship him out for a pick and/or prospect to clear cap space. I think depending how things unfold in Florida, if the Penguins retained and a 3rd team retained, Florida would be wise to look into him for 1.25M with their cap issues.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sullivan talking about Team USA stuff on NHL Radio this morning. At the end they asked what went wrong in Pittsburgh. He said the usual BS but got to the PP and said there was no lack of effort from anyone and they just weren’t confident. No ideas how to fix it or why they looked like that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:53 am Sullivan talking about Team USA stuff on NHL Radio this morning. At the end they asked what went wrong in Pittsburgh. He said the usual BS but got to the PP and said there was no lack of effort from anyone and they just weren’t confident. No ideas how to fix it or why they looked like that.
Seems pretty simple...watch the playoffs, and see what the remaining teams are doing that works on the PP. Edmonton (1st, 37.5), Rangers (3rd, 31.4), Dallas (4th, 29.0), and Florida (8th, 22.0) all have very successful PP in the playoffs. They weren't much different in the regular season, as the Rangers were 3rd, Oilers 4th, Dallas 6th, and Florida 8th.

The biggest thing I have seen with Florida's PP from watching all of their games in the post-season...they move the puck fast and are much more accurate passers. The Penguins PP has been slow and plodding, with tons of inaccurate passes. Guy gets a pass, sit and hold the puck for 3-4 seconds looking for their next pass or trying to get a shooting lane open. The Penguins are also too tied to their "spots." The better PPs, yeah, you may have Player A here 50% of the time, Player B there 50% of the time, etc...but, they don't just go to their spot and camp. They move around. Quick puck movement is usually the key, and the Penguins aren't doing it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Hearing from one of the Boston reporters that DeBrusk is almost certainly gone, stating there have been no talks between him and the team. Then in perfect homerism, said DeBrusk is probably the top UFA get out there.

Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Linholm, Teravainen, Skjei, and 4 or 5 others would probably like a word. I like DeBrusk, and his style of play earns him some extra points, but there were about 25 UFA players ahead of him in point production.

But I do still think he should be our top target.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Looking ahead at the semis, I'm picking Stars vs Panthers. Think that might be the most entertaining SCF too. Stars to win that.

So.... It'll most likely be Rags Vs Oilers :lol:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am Looking ahead at the semis, I'm picking Stars vs Panthers. Think that might be the most entertaining SCF too. Stars to win that.

So.... It'll most likely be Rags Vs Oilers :lol:
Agreed on your picks. I would like to see Maurice win a Cup finally. Also if Florida wins maybe the Pens will copy them and start to build a more heavy team!
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:38 am Hearing from one of the Boston reporters that DeBrusk is almost certainly gone, stating there have been no talks between him and the team. Then in perfect homerism, said DeBrusk is probably the top UFA get out there.

Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Linholm, Teravainen, Skjei, and 4 or 5 others would probably like a word. I like DeBrusk, and his style of play earns him some extra points, but there were about 25 UFA players ahead of him in point production.

I had a thought concerning building more depth throughout the lineup by avoiding spending big bucks on bigger name UFAs.
This assumes Smith is dealt for a draft pick and Nieto isn't a factor. And, we'll say Puljujarvi begins the season as the 13th forward.

Assuming DOC continues his ascent, you keep the first line intact—DOC-Crosby-Rust
You do the same with the second line (...maybe tinker later on)—Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Now, the 3rd line / middle-six is where you add your new acquisitions—(new player-LW)-(new player-C)-Puustinen (possible names could be Domi, Wenneberg, DuClair) The aim is to really beef up that line to contribute offensively more regularly.
4th line—(new player)-Eller-Acciari
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

The Bolts just took back McDonough. I didn't see that there was any retention so that means to over half of TB's salary cap is gone, and Stammer still needs a new deal. If he stays, then I'm not sure how the Bolts resign Duclair unless they make additional move(s). he's be a good middle 6 player for the Pens...at least can skate and pot more points than most in that position on the roster at this time.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:38 am Hearing from one of the Boston reporters that DeBrusk is almost certainly gone, stating there have been no talks between him and the team. Then in perfect homerism, said DeBrusk is probably the top UFA get out there.

I had a thought concerning building more depth throughout the lineup by avoiding spending big bucks on bigger name UFAs.
This assumes Smith is dealt for a draft pick and Nieto isn't a factor. And, we'll say Puljujarvi begins the season as the 13th forward.

Assuming DOC continues his ascent, you keep the first line intact—DOC-Crosby-Rust
You do the same with the second line (...maybe tinker later on)—Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Now, the 3rd line / middle-six is where you add your new acquisitions—(new player-LW)-(new player-C)-Puustinen (possible names could be Domi, Wenneberg, DuClair) The aim is to really beef up that line to contribute offensively more regularly.
4th line—(new player)-Eller-Acciari
The problem is, you still aren't really adding youth. I think Acciari would show better results offensively if he played RW instead of center. However, I also don't think Acciari is so critical to this lineup that he has to play every game. And that is a major problem with this organization. They lock in the vets to roles and refuse to take them out of the lineup.

The main reason I like DOC on the 3rd line is also depth. Depending on what adds we make, if DOC starts on the 3rd line...I feel confident he can produce on that 3rd line. I haven't seen enough yet convince me he deserves a top 6 role for 82 games, and I'd rather have a more consistent player START there. If injuries occur, I am confident DOC can fill in for a week or two. But DOC starting in the top 6, and then he goes down...then you may be looking to bump a Puustinen into the top 6, or a Hinostroza or Puljujarvi. And then you are calling up the Gruden's and Zohorna's to back fill those spots.
Nieto is out until at least December, so he's not a factor.

1) Trade away Smith for picks/prospect
2) Trade for Pinto (Sissons as a backup) for 3C
3) Sign DeBrusk for the top 6.
4) Sign Duhaime for the 4th line.

That, right now, is my most realistic dream scenario for this team. Are there better players out there? Yes. Do we have the space to get said players, like a Stamkos or Reinhart, etc. No, almost certainly not.

DeBrusk-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Pinto-Puustinen/Puljujarvi
Duhaime-Eller-Acciari/Puljujarvi

That's my hope for us up front. If you put in Puljujarvi for Acciari on the 4th line, we'd have 7 guys under 30 in the starting 12 forwards (DeBrusk, Bunting, Puljujarvi, Duhaime, DOC, Puustinen, Pinto).

Re-sign a guy like Hinostroza, and see if there are one or two other energy guys that we could add to the bottom 6 / WBS competition.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:53 pm The Bolts just took back McDonough. I didn't see that there was any retention so that means to over half of TB's salary cap is gone, and Stammer still needs a new deal. If he stays, then I'm not sure how the Bolts resign Duclair unless they make additional move(s). he's be a good middle 6 player for the Pens...at least can skate and pot more points than most in that position on the roster at this time.
Tampa now has 18 players under contract and a smidge over 5M in cap space. Any bets on if McDonough is injured on LTIR next season....which boosts Tampa up to 11M in cap space?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLP riding or dying on the Pinto train :)

I don't see Ottawa trading him. I would aim lower. Maybe a Kotkaniemi type. Young player who could use a change of scenery.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:59 pm FLP riding or dying on the Pinto train :)

I don't see Ottawa trading him. I would aim lower. Maybe a Kotkaniemi type. Young player who could use a change of scenery.
Penguins are in a tough position. I think they need a right-shot center, and not a dime a dozen 4th liner filling that spot. League-wide, there just aren't that many available.

Pinto wouldn't be cheap to get from Ottawa, but at the same time, I think they could still move Josh Norris up to two C and be ok. I'm not sure where things lie with OTT and Pinto, after they were capped out and couldn't sign him, and then the gambling suspension. OTT has some cap space, but not a ton.

If the Penguins don't go after Pinto, Sissons from Nashville would be my next choice.

You miss out on those 2, now you've got to look at someone like Compher or Roy. Compher is overpaid and not great on faceoffs (1 season above 50% in 8 years). Roy has the same issue (not strong on faceoffs).

Sadly, my gut says Dubas and Sullivan are happy with Eller's play and content to just leave Eller as the 3C. I though Eller was great last year, but that doesn't mean we cannot upgrade the position.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

After we re-signed St.Ivany and Gruden, Dubas also signed Czech D-man Filip Kral, who played in Finland last season, was best offensive defensman of the league, former Maple Leafs pick. He is 24yrs old, 6'2 / 198lbs - signed to one year deal only.
Last edited by Pens4Life on Tue May 21, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If Tampa is looking to shed salary. We'll have interest in Cirelli. Little overpaid, but great 3C 2-way center.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm After we re-signed St.Ivany and Gruden, Dubas also signed Czech D-man Filip Kral, who played in Finland last season, was best offensive defensman of the league, former Maple Leafs pick. He is 24yrs old, 6'2 / 198lbs - signed to one year deal only.
I heard Kral's middle name is Juuso. 8-)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:03 pm https://chl.ca/whl/article/warriors-alt ... -penguins/

Yager continues developing.
I really do not want them to trade this kid. We need a good young, driven player on this team. He can be part of the future.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Keefe to the Devils. Puts an end to any Dubas Keefe reunion for the time being.
Last edited by KG on Wed May 22, 2024 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:03 pm https://chl.ca/whl/article/warriors-alt ... -penguins/

That article presents him as a solidly grounded young man.
I am pulling for him to make it to the NHL Penguins than to be used as a trade chip for another middle to late career player.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm

I am pulling for him to make it to the NHL Penguins than to be used as a trade chip for another middle to late career player.
Hopefully he gets at least a nine game trial at the beginning of the season. You can put him at wing until he is ready to handle the expanded duties of playing center.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Keefe will coach Devils next season. Formal announcement on Thursday.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Pitts wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:02 pm

I really do not want them to trade this kid. We need a good young, driven player on this team. He can be part of the future.
I really want to see the Pens trade for Yagger's teammate Jagger Firkus and then sign Jaromir Jagr. Then we could have a Jagger-Yagger-Jagr line.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm

Couldn't disagree more. This kid shows all the signs of being a very good young player and the Pens are going to despaeratly need those kinds of players on entry level deals in the next 2-4 years in order to have any chance to be competitive. Keep him, develop him, and then sign him long term if he shows he's worth it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:02 pm

I'd only give him up for an under 24 NHL player who has top 6 or top pairing potential.