Other Playoff Games 2016

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Other Playoff Games 2016

Post by Humperdink »

Big flurry with the goalie pulled, but San Jose failed to score (lose 2-1).

Highly entertaining finish.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Good game between Sharks and Blues. Too bad the ref wasn't on the other side of Elliot when he muffed that cover. Ward would have had a tap-in goal and maybe the Sharks would have won.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Zarovich wrote:Good game between Sharks and Blues. Too bad the ref wasn't on the other side of Elliot when he muffed that cover. Ward would have had a tap-in goal and maybe the Sharks would have won.
It is kind of amazing how much influence the refs have in a game of hockey.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Humperdink wrote:
how is this different from any other sport? baseball umpires strike zones not only vary from ump to ump but also from day to day. basketball referees get to determine what's a foul and football officials get to decide if a guy made a "football move" before coughing up the ball to the other team.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

shoeshine boy wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
how is this different from any other sport? baseball umpires strike zones not only vary from ump to ump but also from day to day. basketball referees get to determine what's a foul and football officials get to decide if a guy made a "football move" before coughing up the ball to the other team.
Baseball: Typically the strike zone varies from ump to ump, but it is somewhat consistent within each game. Players will accept a wide or narrow strike zone, if it's consistent.

Basketball: I quit following this sport when travelling was legitimized, so I can't offer a response.

Football: Your example is somewhat suspect as it can be challenged.

Hockey: Penalties are typically called based upon the score of the game, who had the last penalty, a player's reputation (See Steve Downie). Additionally, whistles are swallowed in the third period, even though the same slash/trip/hook was called in the 1st and 2nd period. My favorite is a multi-person scrum where there is one clear aggressor, but the refs will "even it up".

NHL referees are the worst of all major sports I watch. And the Dept of Player Safety is worse.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Anyone else kind of rooting for Joe Thornton? I kind of like that guy and he has had a great career. That video of him dancing and squirting those opposing teams little fans with his water bottle was kind of cool.

He has had a strong productive career. I never realized how consistent he has been most of his years in the NHL.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Humperdink wrote:
Baseball: Typically the strike zone varies from ump to ump, but it is somewhat consistent within each game. Players will accept a wide or narrow strike zone, if it's consistent.

Basketball: I quit following this sport when travelling was legitimized, so I can't offer a response.

Football: Your example is somewhat suspect as it can be challenged.

Hockey: Penalties are typically called based upon the score of the game, who had the last penalty, a player's reputation (See Steve Downie). Additionally, whistles are swallowed in the third period, even though the same slash/trip/hook was called in the 1st and 2nd period. My favorite is a multi-person scrum where there is one clear aggressor, but the refs will "even it up".

NHL referees are the worst of all major sports I watch. And the Dept of Player Safety is worse.
certain refs let more stuff go than others and the players know who they are. I will say that last year's playoffs were extremely frustrating to watch because of all the clutching and grabbing they let go. the jury's still out on this year so far.
the football thing, just because it can be challenged doesn't make it any less subjective. in the end the ref on the field still makes the call and his interpretation of a "football move" or "possession" can be the difference in the game.
one big difference in hockey is the "make up call". imo that's something you don't see much in other sports.

one thing we definitely agree on is the DOPS. absolutely ridiculous. did they ever say why Callahan didn't even have a hearing? was it just because they laid the blame on Letang?
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Skatingpen wrote:Anyone else kind of rooting for Joe Thornton? I kind of like that guy and he has had a great career. That video of him dancing and squirting those opposing teams little fans with his water bottle was kind of cool.

He has had a strong productive career. I never realized how consistent he has been most of his years in the NHL.
For as long as he's been around, and despite mostly being a steady follower of the league, I somehow don't know much about his career (nor about him personally). My loose perception from afar is that he's been known as an underachiever, at least in the playoffs. But that could be completely wrong.

I'm not really pulling for any individuals on either team, though I appreciated Paul Martin's first-class words about the Pens and Pittsburgh after he departed.

At one time I'd have been rooting hard against Hitchcock, but he more than made up for his long-ago Sid bashing with lavish praise during the Olympics.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Durbano wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Anyone else kind of rooting for Joe Thornton? I kind of like that guy and he has had a great career. That video of him dancing and squirting those opposing teams little fans with his water bottle was kind of cool.

For as long as he's been around, and despite mostly being a steady follower of the league, I somehow don't know much about his career (nor about him personally). My loose perception from afar is that he's been known as an underachiever, at least in the playoffs. But that could be completely wrong.

I'm not really pulling for any individuals on either team, though I appreciated Paul Martin's first-class words about the Pens and Pittsburgh after he departed.

At one time I'd have been rooting hard against Hitchcock, but he more than made up for his long-ago Sid bashing with lavish praise during the Olympics.
Forgot all about Martin. Good man he is
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Pierre is a dumb*** is every game, not just Pens game. On Couture's play "that play was crafty and wizardry". On Brodziak- "He has become Mike Bossy". Brett Burns has been compared to Rob Blake at least 4 times. He called for more "pyle-driving opponents in the crease" and was giddy that the Blues-Sharks series has turned mean and has snarl. I now hat the word snarl. One thing that made me laugh was Pierre commented that a play "was a good playoff play" followed immediately by another announcer saying it was a bad play.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

I was in a room full of chatty people during the first two periods and mercifully heard very little of Pierre -- but I did catch the first intermission, and Milbury actually made sense on not one but two topics. There is a tear in the fabric of the universe, and I'm kinda scared.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Durbano wrote:I was in a room full of chatty people during the first two periods and mercifully heard very little of Pierre -- but I did catch the first intermission, and Milbury actually made sense on not one but two topics. There is a tear in the fabric of the universe, and I'm kinda scared.
mother of god, the world is ending

I didn't listen to him. I can't do it anymore. I am afraid his voice will give me cancer
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Yeah, I almost never listen to the NBCS guys -- normally because I'm listening to Pens radio with the TV muted. If I have a non-Pens game on that network I normally mute it anyway and have music or a podcast on in the background.

My mother-in-law is here. She's 80 and is absolutely great to watch football and hockey with. Unprompted, as the intermission started, she said, "Who is that jerk (Milbury) in the middle? The other night he said something complimentary about the Penguins and it looked like it was killing him." Not kidding.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

So weird how this sharks-blues game is playing out a lot like game 4 of the pens-bolts game 4. Team down 2 games to 1 takes a 4-0 lead into the third and the losing team scores to make it 4-1 early. Crazy.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

If the Blues make the finals you have to wonder how much they'll have left in the tank. They've played two seven-game series and this one is guaranteed to go at least six, barring a miraculous San Jose comeback. I have no idea how long they'd have off between this round and the finals but can't image it'd be more than a few days.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Durbano wrote:If the Blues make the finals you have to wonder how much they'll have left in the tank. They've played two seven-game series and this one is guaranteed to go at least six, barring a miraculous San Jose comeback. I have no idea how long they'd have off between this round and the finals but can't image it'd be more than a few days.
And Captain Backes is injured.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Hope no one here bet the under. Sheesh. 6-3 and it's not over.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Humperdink wrote:
Durbano wrote:If the Blues make the finals you have to wonder how much they'll have left in the tank. They've played two seven-game series and this one is guaranteed to go at least six, barring a miraculous San Jose comeback. I have no idea how long they'd have off between this round and the finals but can't image it'd be more than a few days.
And Captain Backes is injured.
Almost all cup winning teams have a short 4 or 5 game series win during the playoffs. I think each of the current series goes 7 games. Tampa made short work of their first two series and the sharks and blues each have a 7 game in already. Gives a slight edge to the team from the east. The west finals finish after the east so the east gets an extra day off if both go 7.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

jwest21 wrote:
Durbano wrote:I was in a room full of chatty people during the first two periods and mercifully heard very little of Pierre -- but I did catch the first intermission, and Milbury actually made sense on not one but two topics. There is a tear in the fabric of the universe, and I'm kinda scared.
mother of god, the world is ending

I didn't listen to him. I can't do it anymore. I am afraid his voice will give me cancer
My favorite is when they ask his opinion on a signing or trade. It's like asking the CEO of Malaysian Airlines his opinion on airplane safety.

Maybe they think it's ok to ask his opinion now that the Yashin contract finally came off the books last year?
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

For purely selfish reasons, Go Blues tonight. Multiple overtimes, please, and more of the same for their game 7.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Man, the Sharks are totally outplaying the Blues in the first
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

The Sharks scare the crap out of me. I think ever since Burns became a showcase. I feel like Brent Burns is their lucky horseshoe, or something... :lol:

Whatever happens, this Sharks team has already bucked precedent.

I have a friend posting from the Shark Tank. He says the fan support is absolutely unreal. Good for hockey in California! :D
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Let me be a bit presumptive and say this thread can be officially closed now. There are no "Other Playoff Games 2016". Ha ..... on to the cup.