The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by nocera »

I'm obviously not talking about live posting during the Rumble. Im talking about spoilers leading up to the event.

But fair point, I'll avoid this place too.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah I thought nocera meant leading up the event which is reasonable to expect spoiler tags. During the event though isn't gonna happen.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I agree with him since that is a jagoff move, but he didn't specify that in his post so it was easy to get confused.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

If you think....that people aren't going to post in here while the Rumble is going on....

WELL IM AFRAID IVE GOT SOME PN NEWS!

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I thought that was Brodus Clay for a second.

I'm afraid I've got some more PN Bad News....
Spoiler:
Brodus will not be in the rumble tonight.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Neither will Justin Gabriel. He has quit WWE.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I'm pretty sure the Macho Man won't be an entrant.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I'm pretty sure the Macho Man won't be an entrant.
Dude, spoiler tags please. Jesus..
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Brooklyn Brawler will win it all....
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

So I finally skimmed through Raw last week. A few things really bother me.

-- First off the 20 minute promo we get to start every show... jesus christ... could have done that in 10 minutes and conveyed the same info.

-- Secondly the whole legends reunion thing.. who really gives a ****?

-- Which leads me to my 3rd point. I know everyone thinks The Ascension sucks, I get that I really do, but how stupid is it to build them up the first few weeks then trot them out and make them look like absolute morons to wrestlers that have been washed up for 10+ years. I'll admit I makred for the APA reunion, but thats besides the point. You know why fans never want to latch on to the new talent that is brought up? It's because of crap like that.. they feed them to the 50 year old has beens. It's basically telling the fans hey these guys are better even now please don't cheer for the new team we are trying to get over. Just drives me bonkers.

-- I'm glad Dean finally got a win, but why does it have to be over Wade Barrett who is carrying the IC belt? Way to make the champ look week and devalue the belt.

-- The ending was at least kind of cool. Seeing Sting on Raw and all that jazz, but I'm still not really interested in seeing him wrestle, but hopefully he surprises me.

If I had my wish I would take Cena, Orton, Big Show, Kane, HHH/Steph(but keep HHH around to book), Vince and just make them go away. At least for a while. Cena can come back in like a year with a fresh gimmick or whatever, but the others nah. Just removing those 4 guys and focusing on all the talent you have at your disposal would make the product 10000% better. You may take a short term hit with all the little kids missing Cena, but they will latch on to Bryan and you are off and running.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

If Rusev wins and main events Wrestlemania I will quit
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Also list your top 5 Rumbles....

5. -- 2008 -- Cena's surprise return at #30(which no one knew was coming and got a huge Pop from the smarky MSG crowd). I hate Cena, but it was a cool moment, Taker and Shawn starting off, Snuka and Piper battling. Just a good overall match.
4. -- 1998 -- Just lots of fun. Everyone out to get Austin, Foley appearing 3 times, seeing the Rock climbing to become that main even guy.
3. -- 2004(The Benoit Rumble which makes it hard to watch, but tells a great story)
1b. -- 2001(You kind of knew austin was winning, but damn fun to watch, Kane back when he was interesting tossing fools around...led us to the great WM X7)
1a. -- 1992(Ric Flair winning, only rumble that was ever for the title.. just perfectly booked)
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

That Flair rumble was my favorite. His promo afterwards with Heenan and Mr Perfect behind him was legendary. Altho what isn't with Flair. I missed much of the mid 2000s rumble as I was solidly out of wrestling during that time. Those ones you posted I literally had no idea about any of that. I've tried to figure it out and I don't quote remember what got me back into wrestling around 09 or so. I mean I was 100% out. I went to a house show around that time and knew Randy Orton and that was it
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

skullman80 wrote:Which leads me to my 3rd point. I know everyone thinks The Ascension sucks, I get that I really do, but how stupid is it to build them up the first few weeks then trot them out and make them look like absolute morons to wrestlers that have been washed up for 10+ years. I'll admit I makred for the APA reunion, but thats besides the point. You know why fans never want to latch on to the new talent that is brought up? It's because of crap like that.. they feed them to the 50 year old has beens. It's basically telling the fans hey these guys are better even now please don't cheer for the new team we are trying to get over. Just drives me bonkers.
I'll admit I'm not a fan so far. It's nothing against their in-ring work or even the dated gimmick, but their promos so far have been.....how do I say this....uninteresting, boring, even bordering on bad. I know they are fed their lines word for word, but there's a way to sell what they're saying to the fans. To me, they just haven't been doing that. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So what would you do to get an up-and-coming team despite being horrible on the mic? Feed 'em some legends, get them some heel heat. Now Nash can't do anything in the ring without blowing out a quad, Hulk has back, knee, and hip problems, and I highly doubt Scott Hall is any condition to do anything except say "Hey yo!" and take surveys with the crowd. That still leaves you with HBK (probably still able to take a bump at age 50), Waltman (the youngest of the bunch and should easily take one), JBL, Simmons, and the Outlaws. Not sure if I would have fed Flair to them, but you see where I'm going with this. Even have them do it over several weeks where it goes from roughing up legends to roughing up backstage officials to low to mid-card talent and working them into a feud.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

JS© wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Which leads me to my 3rd point. I know everyone thinks The Ascension sucks, I get that I really do, but how stupid is it to build them up the first few weeks then trot them out and make them look like absolute morons to wrestlers that have been washed up for 10+ years. I'll admit I makred for the APA reunion, but thats besides the point. You know why fans never want to latch on to the new talent that is brought up? It's because of crap like that.. they feed them to the 50 year old has beens. It's basically telling the fans hey these guys are better even now please don't cheer for the new team we are trying to get over. Just drives me bonkers.
I'll admit I'm not a fan so far. It's nothing against their in-ring work or even the dated gimmick, but their promos so far have been.....how do I say this....uninteresting, boring, even bordering on bad. I know they are fed their lines word for word, but there's a way to sell what they're saying to the fans. To me, they just haven't been doing that. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So what would you do to get an up-and-coming team despite being horrible on the mic? Feed 'em some legends, get them some heel heat. Now Nash can't do anything in the ring without blowing out a quad, Hulk has back, knee, and hip problems, and I highly doubt Scott Hall is any condition to do anything except say "Hey yo!" and take surveys with the crowd. That still leaves you with HBK (probably still able to take a bump at age 50), Waltman (the youngest of the bunch and should easily take one), JBL, Simmons, and the Outlaws. Not sure if I would have fed Flair to them, but you see where I'm going with this. Even have them do it over several weeks where it goes from roughing up legends to roughing up backstage officials to low to mid-card talent and working them into a feud.

I agree with what you said 100%. They did the exact opposite though, they fed The new up and comers to the legends. It makes the Acension look like morons after cutting promos about being better than LOD and Demolition to get taken out by guys who can't even take a bump. I guarantee Vince had something to do with that segment and how it went. I could just see him backstage during that smiling from ear to ear seeing stars from 10 years ago squashing newer guys trying to get over and then complaining about no one grabbing the brass ring.

This isn't to say the Acension are any good, so far they have been meh at best, but the point still stands they do this alot.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

How long till Justin Gabriel ends up in TNA?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Gabriel could probably go to Japan and make more money than he would in TNA.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Potential spoilers from Dave Meltzer from WON/F4W
Spoiler:
Rock almost for sure on show tonight. Possibly in Rumble match.

Rock wrestling at Mania. NOT against Rusev.

Was Bryan vs Brock is not the direction they are going.

Speculated Mania card is Rock vs Brock, Triple H vs Sting, and WWE Champion Cena vs Reigns
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Spoiler:
so Daniel Bryant is getting pushed to mid card level?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Spoiler:
so Daniel Bryant is getting pushed to mid card level?
Spoiler:
One would hope not. Those are all just rumors though, so who knows. The Rock def is in Philly though. Just have to wait and see what happens. They could make changes at the last minute. Meltzer is not some no name twitter person though, dude has been covering the wrestling industry for a long long time.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

LOL
WWE Creative Humor @WWECreative_ish
· 19m 19 minutes ago
Now that Justin Gabriel quit we have go back and rewrite literally none of tonight's show #RoyalRumble
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

skullman80 wrote:Potential spoilers from Dave Meltzer from WON/F4W
Spoiler:

Speculated Mania card is Rock vs Brock, Triple H vs Sting, and WWE Champion Cena vs Reigns
Spoiler:
if this ends up being right (Cena winning the TT and Reigns winning the Rumble) then I'll make a pretty penny ($50 on a $5 bet because I parlayed them)
On a similar note, Orton is down to +700. That's ridiculous, who's betting on Orton?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Potential spoilers from Dave Meltzer from WON/F4W
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
if this ends up being right (Cena winning the TT and Reigns winning the Rumble) then I'll make a pretty penny ($50 on a $5 bet because I parlayed them)
On a similar note, Orton is down to +700. That's ridiculous, who's betting on Orton?
Sigh... Part timers rule the world.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

You can bet on a scripted outcome event? Interesting...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

PensFanInDC wrote:You can bet on a scripted outcome event? Interesting...
Kind of like our elections, which you cab bet on in England. :pop: