The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

skullman80 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:One thing I don't understand is how they can charge so damn much for PPV. I would barely pay $45 to be there live, never mind to watch on tv. And I know the network is net cheaper but its still a rippoff. I can pay $10 for just the WWE network or $10 for NFL Network, NFL Redzone, MLB channel, NBA channel, NHL Network, FOX sports and a few others. I'd rather just watch crappy low def internet feeds.

I know I'm not in their target demo but damn...its just all too expensive.
While PPV's weren't always as expensive as they are now, they are in line with what Boxing and UFC PPV's are... so they probably figure if they can charge that much why can't we?
Yeah I understand that. Though this argument does extend to all PPV forms...how did boxing PPVs get so expensive?

You know what I pay to watch the biggest sporting events I'm the world? $0 for the World Cup and Super Bowl (well, $0 more than what I usually pay). I don't understand how boxing, UFC and the WWE got away with charging $50 for something I can watch online for free
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

skullman80 wrote:I can totally see why some wouldn't renew.

In my case.. no matter what or how bad the product is.. I would get Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Summerslam. That right there is about 160$ in PPV cost normally. If you throw in Survivor Series(which is almost as much of a guarantee of me ordering on PPV) that puts it at like 210$ or so. I consider that spent money as far as wrestling is concerned as I would get those 3 PPV's regardless with the 4th more likley than not. So as long as I'm under 200$ for the network per year I consider that good enough for me. Plus it gives me the option to watch all the old stuff when I want on a big screen without having to hunt through youtube.
Yea this. I don't get why people think $9.99 a month is a lot. Netflix charges about the same and I don't see people complaining about that. I have Netflix but just like the network, I don't use it every day or watch everything on it.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

SolidSnake wrote:

In my case.. no matter what or how bad the product is.. I would get Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Summerslam. That right there is about 160$ in PPV cost normally. If you throw in Survivor Series(which is almost as much of a guarantee of me ordering on PPV) that puts it at like 210$ or so. I consider that spent money as far as wrestling is concerned as I would get those 3 PPV's regardless with the 4th more likley than not. So as long as I'm under 200$ for the network per year I consider that good enough for me. Plus it gives me the option to watch all the old stuff when I want on a big screen without having to hunt through youtube.
Yea this. I don't get why people think $9.99 a month is a lot. Netflix charges about the same and I don't see people complaining about that. I have Netflix but just like the network, I don't use it every day or watch everything on it.
Netflix isn't filled with the same 3 movies, then when I don't log in for 2 weeks they won't throw the same 3 movies at me, just with different titles and I wont get an email from the Netflix CEO asking me why I'm bored. "Just cuz you've watched these movies every single week for the last year, HAVE SOME FUN DAMMIT YEEEAHHHH. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE YEAHHHH"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Netflix isn't filled with the same 3 movies, then when I don't log in for 2 weeks they won't throw the same 3 movies at me, just with different titles and I wont get an email from the Netflix CEO asking me why I'm bored. "Just cuz you've watched these movies every single week for the last year, HAVE SOME FUN DAMMIT YEEEAHHHH. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE YEAHHHH"
Wow, you take this maybe a little too serious.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

:roll: I'm joking around. My point being Netflix will eventually have new movies or new shows I may get into. If I don't invest a ton of time watching the older wrestling content, why give the WWE any money, for Sunday Night RAWs once a month? But yeah, the part I do take serious is we get our intelligence insulted enough, so when the owner of a once billionaire dollar company comes out and tries to shame the consumer into liking his garbage product, that does rub me the wrong way and I'm less likely to want to give them any of my money no matter what.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

No more Khali?

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/rumo ... e-from-wwe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:One thing I don't understand is how they can charge so damn much for PPV. I would barely pay $45 to be there live, never mind to watch on tv. And I know the network is net cheaper but its still a rippoff. I can pay $10 for just the WWE network or $10 for NFL Network, NFL Redzone, MLB channel, NBA channel, NHL Network, FOX sports and a few others. I'd rather just watch crappy low def internet feeds.

I know I'm not in their target demo but damn...its just all too expensive.
While PPV's weren't always as expensive as they are now, they are in line with what Boxing and UFC PPV's are... so they probably figure if they can charge that much why can't we?
Yeah I understand that. Though this argument does extend to all PPV forms...how did boxing PPVs get so expensive?

You know what I pay to watch the biggest sporting events I'm the world? $0 for the World Cup and Super Bowl (well, $0 more than what I usually pay). I don't understand how boxing, UFC and the WWE got away with charging $50 for something I can watch online for free
Why do stores charge what they do for goods when you can just walk in and take them for free?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

DudeMan2766 wrote::roll: I'm joking around. My point being Netflix will eventually have new movies or new shows I may get into. If I don't invest a ton of time watching the older wrestling content, why give the WWE any money, for Sunday Night RAWs once a month? But yeah, the part I do take serious is we get our intelligence insulted enough, so when the owner of a once billionaire dollar company comes out and tries to shame the consumer into liking his garbage product, that does rub me the wrong way and I'm less likely to want to give them any of my money no matter what.
Again, the too serious thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I subscribe for the pay-per-views. Is my intelligence insulted by the product sometimes? Sure. Who cares? I willingly invested my money in a product that I know has faults. It's not like WWE and Vince have just started acting the way they do. They've not changed and they won't change. Investing in their product comes with the risk of not getting what you like/want. And, if you're a big enough fan to want the network, you should know by now that the company will shame its fans and will insult their intelligence, as well. If you knew this when you signed up, no room to complain now. Simply don't renew and move on.

I don't love the network, and in fact, I generally watch the PPVs and the occasional Monday Night War. But to suggest that, unlike Netflix, the WWE Network won't have anything new to get into is simply ridiculous. They're adding new series semi-regurly, they have a weekly new NXT show, and a monthly new PPV. That's a nice a mount of fresh content, plus the historic footage in the archives. Again, if you don't like it, it's not for you. Not sure what exactly you expect, considering you're getting a $50 price break on a standard PPV.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Grumpy Cat looked grumpy because it had to be the lead-in for the next Adam Rose match.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Kind of like the Shaemus/Big Show winner gets a title match match. Though I don't really get what happened to Cena being the number 1 contender...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Sweaty big show. Just grosses me out. Barf
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Should've seen through their stupid "Cena is the bezt!" ruse
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

THE PEOPLE'S EYEBROW, THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW!
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Did Shaemus actually get hurt?

I feel like their plan was to have him come back like Big Show and Ziggy Stardust but they realized he wouldn't be able to go and were like "****...who can we replace him with...uh, Erick Rowan?" "Dude that's stupid..." "What else can we do?" "Dammit..."
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Maybe he was actually deported
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Feed...
Me...
S'Mores...
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Flipped to RAW to see what was going on, and saw Cesaro job to Ryback.

He was even wearing jobber tights. :face:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Did Shaemus actually get hurt?

I feel like their plan was to have him come back like Big Show and Ziggy Stardust but they realized he wouldn't be able to go and were like "****...who can we replace him with...uh, Erick Rowan?" "Dude that's stupid..." "What else can we do?" "Dammit..."
I ended up going to bed early and missed that part, but what was their explanation on getting Rowan involved? I can't think of any instance where it would make sense.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Smackdown/Survivor Series spoilers:
Spoiler:
New stipulation in the Team Cena/Authority match is if Team Cena loses, they're all fired. Also on SD, Team Cena (minus Cena, because LOL) were completely destroyed by the Authority and left lying in the ring as SD came to an end.

Which gives me even more reason to question this...
Why would anyone want to be on Team Cena? He didn't bail out any of his teammates when they were getting beat down, he didn't actively recruit them, the Authority wasn't a problem for them UNTIL they teamed up with Cena. I don't see the incentive. Especially with the Smackdown spoilers.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

JS© wrote:

I ended up going to bed early and missed that part, but what was their explanation on getting Rowan involved? I can't think of any instance where it would make sense.
something about Luke Harper. I don't remember specifically. I think.

also, nocera, that all pretty much tells me that Team Cena is going to win.
Spoiler:
I don't really see them kicking out Cena, Ryback and Ziggy Hood who are pretty much 3 of their most popular wrestlers at the moment.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
JS© wrote:

something about Luke Harper. I don't remember specifically. I think.

also, nocera, that all pretty much tells me that Team Cena is going to win. .
I deleted your additional comment for the sake of spoilers. I'm hoping Authority wins if only it means
Spoiler:
the return of Juan Cena
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Oh hell yes. Captain Hulkster. Also on my squad is not just Vader, but BIG VAN Vader... the rich man's Rockers, Midnight Express... and rounded out with the bizarre one, Goldust. HES SUCH A WEIRDO MAGGLE TALKIN ABOUT SOME COSMIC KEY.

blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Team Sting featuring Eddie Guerrero, Anderson & Blanchard and Sheamus. Meh.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

And here's an interesting, long, depressing article on Kamala.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Dusty Rhodes, AJ Styles, The Outsiders, Rikishi

yikes...