Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by columbia »

Remove Penn State from the discussion, how exactly do people expect the NCAA to address violations without affecting uninvolved people?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pfim wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:but how can you justify punishing the current players and coaches who weren't involved?
other than the fact that they've done this several times to a bunch of programs in the past and no one said boo about the unfairness of it then?
To be fair, plenty of people have raked the NCAA over the coals over the years regarding this.
when a school pays players, gets caught and loses future scholarships, people have complained about the punishment being unfair to the players not involved (not being snippy- just curious)?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Make all college athletics not for profit. Would that solve any issues?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

shmenguin wrote:
pfim wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:but how can you justify punishing the current players and coaches who weren't involved?

other than the fact that they've done this several times to a bunch of programs in the past and no one said boo about the unfairness of it then?
To be fair, plenty of people have raked the NCAA over the coals over the years regarding this.
when a school pays players, gets caught and loses future scholarships, people have complained about the punishment being unfair to the players not involved (not being snippy- just curious)?
Well in cases like reggie bush and terel pryor ect, they leave and the rest of the kids usually miss bowl games. It happens all the time. It sucks, but it happens
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

shmenguin wrote:
pfim wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Well, it's never the "school" that pays players first off. Players who are long gone (Bush and Mayo) broke rules and the current coaches/players are sanctioned. How is that just?

If anything, the PSU scandal crossed multiple departments of the school administration all the way up to the President, you could make the case that the punishment for the school is more appropriate.

And yes, plenty of people harp on and on about this. I mean, if you think about it long enough, what purpose does the NCAA really serve?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Rylan wrote:Make all college athletics not for profit. Would that solve any issues?
Aren't they already non-profit since they belong to a public university?

Any profit schools like PSU, OSU, Texas, etc. have goes to other athletic programs (or that's at least how I understand it at OSU).
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Yes, very few schools actually 'profit' off of their athletic departments as is.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rylan wrote:Make all college athletics not for profit. Would that solve any issues?
Why not pay players? That would solve a lot of issues.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

pfim wrote:
Why not pay players? That would solve a lot of issues.
I am not against it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Non-profit doesn't mean you don't profit, it means you keep the profits within the organization (the athletic dept).
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

The fact that there are USC fans foaming at the mouth to recruit PSUs running back makes me want to vomit, almost as much as the NCAA using "culture" as the guise to justify themselves. They are only perpetuating the very culture that Emmert attempted to cripple.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Let's be for real, NCAA is just as corrupt in search for financial prosperity as any one individual.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I will say, it's rich that the NCAA is trying to take a stand against glorifying football tradition and coaches.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The fact that there are USC fans foaming at the mouth to recruit PSUs running back makes me want to vomit, almost as much as the NCAA using "culture" as the guise to justify themselves. They are only perpetuating the very culture that Emmert attempted to cripple.
this is a frustrating statement. you're either saying that PSU shouldn't have been punished by the NCAA or that players shouldn't be allowed to transfer out.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, it's rich that the NCAA is trying to take a stand against glorifying football tradition and coaches.
:?:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

columbia wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, it's rich that the NCAA is trying to take a stand against glorifying football tradition and coaches.
:?:
The NCAA is hypocritical acting like its all about academics when in reality its about glorifying itself so that it can generate more money.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

shmenguin wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:The fact that there are USC fans foaming at the mouth to recruit PSUs running back makes me want to vomit, almost as much as the NCAA using "culture" as the guise to justify themselves. They are only perpetuating the very culture that Emmert attempted to cripple.
this is a frustrating statement. you're either saying that PSU shouldn't have been punished by the NCAA or that players shouldn't be allowed to transfer out.
Eh, incorrect on both accounts. I think when SEC coaches begin texting players 30 minutes after the sanctions are released, half a dozen Illinois coaches are dispatched on a poaching mission and camp outside players' apartments, and a 17 year old kid is forced to turn off his cell phone because of coaches scrambling to pick him up for their team, it's clear nobody got whatever delusional message the NCAA was attempting to send.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Eh, incorrect on both accounts. I think when SEC coaches begin texting players 30 minutes after the sanctions are released, half a dozen Illinois coaches are dispatched on a poaching mission and camp outside players' apartments, and a 17 year old kid is forced to turn off his cell phone because of coaches scrambling to pick him up for their team, it's clear nobody got whatever delusional message the NCAA was attempting to send.
i don't see how vulturing available recruits has anything to do with anything
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

I think the PSU fans, and alumni should take a cue from the current players.
Shut your whiny pie holes and get on with the season. You got football, and
make this year about the game and not the hype. Just hang together and go
out and play ball. I got a ton of respect for the players that aren't transferring
out, and are bucking up and staying with their team, maybe you could do the same.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Hey, I posted earlier re: Bill O'Brien and how lucky Penn State is to have him. I think he is exactly the kind of person they need at the helm of that program.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:People are upset the NCAA didnt have a documented clear cut rule on what they can do in situations like this. Which says to me those would be happy if ncaa woukd have just said, welp no rules on this, carry in as usual Penn State.
If you think the former automatically begets the latter, then you have a serious comprehension deficit.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Penn State's general liability insurer files motion to argue denial of coverage.

http://mobile.pittsburgh.sbnation.com/p ... ms-lawsuit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

viva la ben wrote:Penn State's general liability insurer files motion to argue denial of coverage.

http://mobile.pittsburgh.sbnation.com/p ... ms-lawsuit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't worry only bowl bans and vacated wins ensure that Penn State will not "carry on as usual".
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

shmenguin wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
i don't see how vulturing available recruits has anything to do with anything

It sends the message "You can't play in a bowl game so you have the right to leave". Isn't being a student athlete about more than just athletics? That's the line the NCAA throws out there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

They deserve everything coming to them.