Offical Arena Thread: 2/1/07

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Madden can jam the board all he wants, but many of you I've seen at the arena. We buy tickets. We buy merchandise. We buy jerseys. We buy Center Ice packages so we can follow the team. We support the team. Maybe we take it to an extreme, but I don't see any reasons why people should have to apologize for being extreme fans of something. Everyone is intensely passionate about something...mine and ours just happens to be a hockey team. I'm not going to apologize for that. If that means I have no life, well...who's judging?

I appreciate Madden for pushing the arena issue to the forefront and keeping it there. I also enjoy listening to his show because (until I get my XM radio installed), there just isn't anyone else on the Pittsburgh airwaves who even attempts to talk hockey with any degree of consistency. And if they do, they give no indication whatsoever that they know or care what they're talking about because they dump the topic after two or three minutes.

Case in point, I was driving home listening to Bendel and Benz yesterday and they're still devoting entire segments of their show to debating the merits of the Tomlin hiring against bringing in Russ Grimm. That ship sailed a while ago, didn't it? Haven't other things on the Pittsburgh sports scene taken precedence, or are we going to still be debating Coach Tomlin's resume in June?
Anakin87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Anakin87 »

I've been a lurker here for a couple years now, and just started posting recently. I've lived in Denver for the past five years but born and raised in Minnesota.The love of the game and Mario's brilliance led me to become a Pens fan at an early age. Just an introduction.

I've listened to you guys tear this MM guy up since the Kovy "deal", but just got around to checking him and his show out today beacuse he's talking arena news. WOW!!! What a pompous, arrogant butthole!! I wasn't even listening for more than 5 minutes before I heard him tell Geno "F off, you ruskie commie bastard" because he couldn't understand the language. :shock: You gotta be freaking kidding me! Then he talked about how he was the best radio personality in Pgh and all of us losers on the boards (which he obviously reads and gives updates on) will just have to deal with it.

Do you guys have an alternative to this fat loser for Pens talk out there? Or is it like Denver, where it's all Broncos, all the time? The fact that he seems to talk alot of hockey, unlike here, would keep me listening. But I can see why you all want to run him over with your car after hearing about 10 minutes of his crap.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

No, every other station is Steelers all the time. It's just how it is in the US. The NFL will always be first in most cities.

I'm a HUGE Steeler fan, but it would be nice to mix it up with a little Pens and Pitt FB & BB talk everyonce in a while. I could do with no Pirate talk, but I know there are fans out there, just like we are the Pens crowd, so I can put up with it.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dboss »

Anakin87 wrote:I've been a lurker here for a couple years now, and just started posting recently. I've lived in Denver for the past five years but born and raised in Minnesota.The love of the game and Mario's brilliance led me to become a Pens fan at an early age. Just an introduction.

I've listened to you guys tear this MM guy up since the Kovy "deal", but just got around to checking him and his show out today beacuse he's talking arena news. WOW!!! What a pompous, arrogant butthole!! I wasn't even listening for more than 5 minutes before I heard him tell Geno "F off, you ruskie commie bastard" because he couldn't understand the language. :shock: You gotta be freaking kidding me! Then he talked about how he was the best radio personality in Pgh and all of us losers on the boards (which he obviously reads and gives updates on) will just have to deal with it.

Do you guys have an alternative to this fat loser for Pens talk out there? Or is it like Denver, where it's all Broncos, all the time? The fact that he seems to talk alot of hockey, unlike here, would keep me listening. But I can see why you all want to run him over with your car after hearing about 10 minutes of his crap.
Anakin, see Stoosh's post above your's for radio options. IMHO, I don't know why people let Madden get to them so much. I listen to his show pretty often because as Stoosh said he talks more about the Pens than anyone else, but I can always turn the dial if I get perturbed. Plus, being called fat, idiotic, etc. on the message boards only gives him more material to work with and as far as I'm concerned that just takes away from him talking more about the Pens. I can't remember how long he was in wrestling, but I think its safe to say that most everything he does is shtick and designed to illicit some sort of response, which is exactly what is happening. Just my two cents.
Anakin87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Anakin87 »

To be fair, you heard alot of Av's talk out here before the salary cap, but after Forsberg, Foote and Blake they basically fell off the map.

On an unrelated note, the NHL schedule blows. I haven't seen the Pens out here since before the lockout. FIRE BETTMAN!!!!!
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

newarenanow wrote:No, every other station is Steelers all the time. It's just how it is in the US. The NFL will always be first in most cities.

I'm a HUGE Steeler fan, but it would be nice to mix it up with a little Pens and Pitt FB & BB talk everyonce in a while. I could do with no Pirate talk, but I know there are fans out there, just like we are the Pens crowd, so I can put up with it.
Like I said, The Pens have been getting alot of top news this week, but right now if there is nothing new to report I just wish the Media would focus on other stuff. There are big stories out there.

BTW, pirates are going to surprise a few people this year, no way are they going to make the playoffs, cause MLB is a joke, but they will finish 3rd in the central and have important games late in the season.
Anakin87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Anakin87 »

dboss wrote:
Anakin87 wrote:I've been a lurker here for a couple years now, and just started posting recently. I've lived in Denver for the past five years but born and raised in Minnesota.The love of the game and Mario's brilliance led me to become a Pens fan at an early age. Just an introduction.

Anakin, see Stoosh's post above your's for radio options. IMHO, I don't know why people let Madden get to them so much. I listen to his show pretty often because as Stoosh said he talks more about the Pens than anyone else, but I can always turn the dial if I get perturbed. Plus, being called fat, idiotic, etc. on the message boards only gives him more material to work with and as far as I'm concerned that just takes away from him talking more about the Pens. I can't remember how long he was in wrestling, but I think its safe to say that most everything he does is shtick and designed to illicit some sort of response, which is exactly what is happening. Just my two cents.
Sounds about right... That bomb he dropped on Geno kinda took me by suprise, though. That's coming from a big Jim Rome fan , too.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

SportsFan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:No, every other station is Steelers all the time. It's just how it is in the US. The NFL will always be first in most cities.

Like I said, The Pens have been getting alot of top news this week, but right now if there is nothing new to report I just wish the Media would focus on other stuff. There are big stories out there.

BTW, pirates are going to surprise a few people this year, no way are they going to make the playoffs, cause MLB is a joke, but they will finish 3rd in the central and have important games late in the season.

I agree about the Buccos. Hopefully they at least make the season exciting. It's not that I hate the Pirates, I'm just not a baseball fan in general. Maybe if they had a salary cap and even playing field, I'd be interested.

I'm die hard Pgh loving Pitt FB, BB, Pens and Steelers, but my favorite BB team is the Cubs.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dboss »

Anakin87 wrote:Sounds about right... That bomb he dropped on Geno kinda took me by suprise, though. That's coming from a big Jim Rome fan , too.
I must have missed that one, but I can't imagine that he wasn't joking or referring to some comment from a listener. A LOT of people call-up just to mess with him. Oh well, just keep the Pens talk coming! 8-)
Anakin87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Anakin87 »

dboss wrote:
Anakin87 wrote:Sounds about right... That bomb he dropped on Geno kinda took me by suprise, though. That's coming from a big Jim Rome fan , too.
I must have missed that one, but I can't imagine that he wasn't joking or referring to some comment from a listener. A LOT of people call-up just to mess with him. Oh well, just keep the Pens talk coming! 8-)
Yeah, he qualified it as a joke and said he loved him afterward. It just seemed a little over the top. I guess that's his game. Some dude called him a ******* a couple times right before that.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cojac »

Stoosh wrote:Madden can jam the board all he wants, but many of you I've seen at the arena. We buy tickets. We buy merchandise. We buy jerseys. We buy Center Ice packages so we can follow the team. We support the team. Maybe we take it to an extreme, but I don't see any reasons why people should have to apologize for being extreme fans of something. Everyone is intensely passionate about something...mine and ours just happens to be a hockey team. I'm not going to apologize for that. If that means I have no life, well...who's judging?

I appreciate Madden for pushing the arena issue to the forefront and keeping it there. I also enjoy listening to his show because (until I get my XM radio installed), there just isn't anyone else on the Pittsburgh airwaves who even attempts to talk hockey with any degree of consistency. And if they do, they give no indication whatsoever that they know or care what they're talking about because they dump the topic after two or three minutes.

Case in point, I was driving home listening to Bendel and Benz yesterday and they're still devoting entire segments of their show to debating the merits of the Tomlin hiring against bringing in Russ Grimm. That ship sailed a while ago, didn't it? Haven't other things on the Pittsburgh sports scene taken precedence, or are we going to still be debating Coach Tomlin's resume in June?
The fans on a message board are the true die hard fans. Madden always posted here, not sure what happened to him to bad mouth LGP. In the past he plugged it, no he hates it. Something doesn't add up but there.
Corban87

Post by Corban87 »

Anakin87 wrote: Yeah, he qualified it as a joke and said he loved him afterward. It just seemed a little over the top. I guess that's his game. Some dude called him a ******* a couple times right before that.
Heh, welcome. But ya that was a total joke, and understand this when listening to him......yes he is very over the top.

I actually busted out laughing after he said that, hahaha :lol:
SDPensFan

Post by SDPensFan »

I Remain optomistic and I KNOW an arena deal will be announced within 48hours. (don't ask).

Like i said to my friends over at KCpenguins message board

NO PENGUINS FOR YOU!!!!!!
sonicelk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sonicelk »

Does anyone think they might announce something during the game tonight...it is with the Canadians, so they know a lot of people will be watching?
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by JDJ8766 »

sonicelk wrote:Does anyone think they might announce something during the game tonight...it is with the Canadians, so they know a lot of people will be watching?
No
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

sonicelk wrote:Does anyone think they might announce something during the game tonight...it is with the Canadians, so they know a lot of people will be watching?
Since they are honoring Recchi tonight, they might not want to steal his moment. Just a thought. Tonight all about Recchi...tomorrow or Saturday all about the arena. I guess they could do it at the end of the game, but probably not
sonicelk
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sonicelk »

Oh, I didn't know about Recchi...will they show it on tv?
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

sonicelk wrote:Oh, I didn't know about Recchi...will they show it on tv?
I haven't heard. Maybe some replays during the pregame or intermission?

Last edited by jwest21 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

[quote="SDPensFan"]I Remain optomistic and I KNOW an arena deal will be announced within 48hours. (don't ask).

I'm asking.

Spill the beans.
SDPensFan

Post by SDPensFan »

skullman80 wrote:
SDPensFan wrote:I Remain optomistic and I KNOW an arena deal will be announced within 48hours. (don't ask).

I'm asking.

Spill the beans.
Ok, take it for what its worth, A friend of mine who works with a local Sports radio talk show here in So Cal
informed me today that the NHL has already started on the 07-08 schedule, with no change in teams.

He's VERY Reliable, again, take it for what its worth. Thats what i was told.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by JDJ8766 »

I know this isn't anything to get excited about, but I saw this on hockeybuzz and thought it was worth posting.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5168
A source has told me that there is a very good possibility that there would be a press conference held tomorrow to announce an agreement.
PS It's not Eklund, thank god.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Where there is smoke there is fire, and there has been lots of smoke(good) the past few days.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by JDJ8766 »

SDPensFan wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
SDPensFan wrote:I Remain optomistic and I KNOW an arena deal will be announced within 48hours. (don't ask).

I'm asking.

Spill the beans.
Ok, take it for what its worth, A friend of mine who works with a local Sports radio talk show here in So Cal
informed me today that the NHL has already started on the 07-08 schedule, with no change in teams.

When the Pens were in bankruptcy, the NHL made 3 different schedules; one with them in Pittsburgh, one with them on the west coast and another without them at all in case the team was dissolved. So, the schedule being made isn't a big deal as far as the NHL is concerned.
SDPensFan

Post by SDPensFan »

skullman80 wrote:Where there is smoke there is fire, and there has been lots of smoke(good) the past few days.
This is the end of all this .
I wonder how much the play on the team will step up once they know they are not moving.

Lets face it. it affects them as much as us.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

JDJ8766 wrote:
SDPensFan wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I'm asking.

Spill the beans.

When the Pens were in bankruptcy, the NHL made 3 different schedules; one with them in Pittsburgh, one with them on the west coast and another without them at all in case the team was dissolved. So, the schedule being made isn't a big deal as far as the NHL is concerned.
Agreed. I remember that. I think they did the same thing with the Expos when their future was uncertain in BB.

But it is good that they are not making it the KC Penguins. :D