How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by neophool »

F android. F iphones. this is the wave of the future, suckers!!!
Spoiler:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

jaysmiter wrote:
MikeEnIke wrote:Droid > iPhone for me - like what you want, but I love my droid.
/agree

People just want an iphone because it's an iphone. It really isn't better than any of the android phones out there.
Technically you could say the same thing about Droid, only because it's the OMG anti-Iphone killer/beater/hater. I personally like both, and have seen both in action. It's a variable toss up, and would have to see how this rumored CDMA version would work before I even thought about getting it.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I just bought a Droid X on Amazon. (feeling nervous and having second thoughts)
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

MikeEnIke wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:
MikeEnIke wrote:Droid > iPhone for me - like what you want, but I love my droid.
/agree

People just want an iphone because it's an iphone. It really isn't better than any of the android phones out there.
Plus, I love my widgets. Couldn't imagine not having them.
What widgets do you use? I'm trying to figure out how to use all of this extra space I have now.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Looking at the Droid 2 last night and think I like it better than the X. (mainly for the qwerty keyboard, but also for size.) Any other comparisons of the two from you more tech-savvy guys?

P.S. The sales guy tells me there is going to be a special version of the Droid released on September 30th called the Droid R2D2 with the shell colored to look like C-3PO's best friend. (Of course he may have been yanking me since I'm an "older" guy with little smart phone knowledge.)
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

blackjack68 wrote:Looking at the Droid 2 last night and think I like it better than the X. (mainly for the qwerty keyboard, but also for size.) Any other comparisons of the two from you more tech-savvy guys?

P.S. The sales guy tells me there is going to be a special version of the Droid released on September 30th called the Droid R2D2 with the shell colored to look like C-3PO's best friend. (Of course he may have been yanking me since I'm an "older" guy with little smart phone knowledge.)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/droi ... tember-30/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

the Evo is the best android phone out there. that being said with such a large screen i don't know what the need is for a querty keyboard anymore especially with amazing keyboards like swype. there is so much space in landscape on a 4 inch or so screen that you don't need a keyboard typing is easy.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

knives of ice wrote:the Evo is the best android phone out there. that being said with such a large screen i don't know what the need is for a querty keyboard anymore especially with amazing keyboards like swype. there is so much space in landscape on a 4 inch or so screen that you don't need a keyboard typing is easy.
Guess I'll have to visit the store again and play with swype. I just like a "real" keyboard better.

My "new every 2" is up Oct. 7th so I have some time to play.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

I agree on the large screens for virtual keyboards making physical keyboards not as necessary. The X is the first phone i tried where i felt comfortable with the touchscreen keyboard. I actually like the non swype entry metho whe the phone is landscape. Swype is nice when holding the phone in a non landscape position.
A question for smartphone users: is it safe to make purchases over the internet using the phone browser? I know on a pc safe sites usually have the little encryption lock symbol but im not seeing it on the phone browser.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Ben Klingston wrote:I agree on the large screens for virtual keyboards making physical keyboards not as necessary. The X is the first phone i tried where i felt comfortable with the touchscreen keyboard. I actually like the non swype entry metho whe the phone is landscape. Swype is nice when holding the phone in a non landscape position.
A question for smartphone users: is it safe to make purchases over the internet using the phone browser? I know on a pc safe sites usually have the little encryption lock symbol but im not seeing it on the phone browser.

yeah, its definitely safe. also, the paypal app for android with all the updates recently is great as well if you need to pay with it, as is the updated android ebay app.

another point concerning qwerty keyboards. the past 3 phones i had all had querty's and my last phone the touch pro2 in pretty much all reviews people said how it was probably the best qwerty they'd ever used. i was really worried about using a touchscreen full time but after getting used to it with such a large screen i'd never go back. with swype i can type faster than the qwerty anyways. it just takes a bit to get used to. also, the voice to text app update this week has made voice to text so good that you can use it alot as well in certain situations.

soon on the evo anyways after rooting your phone and with custom roms like Cyanogen using our hdmi output we will be able to hook the phone up to a tv and use a wireless bluetooth keyboard/mouse which could be cool in certain situations. also cool is you can use the wiimote to play all the old new and snes games with apps like nesoid.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

im scared to give up the keyboard. I've basically been using the same one for 6 years - sidekick 2, sidekick 3, sidekick lx, G1 (designed by the same team who created the sidekick). They are all almost identical in size and layout. Any time I try typing on my phone's screen I get frustrated and open up the keyboard.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

pittsoccer33 wrote:im scared to give up the keyboard. I've basically been using the same one for 6 years - sidekick 2, sidekick 3, sidekick lx, G1 (designed by the same team who created the sidekick). They are all almost identical in size and layout. Any time I try typing on my phone's screen I get frustrated and open up the keyboard.

i felt the same way you do as well. i used the windows mobile phones with sprint for probably 7 years or so going from the 6700 to the mogul to the touch pro to the touch pro 2. all were HTC devices with the qwerty. with a small 3.3 inch or so screen i think you need the keyboard. with a large 4.3 inch multitouch screen once i got used to it i'd never go back, especially with the added bulk of a keyboard.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

touch screen smart phones are the bomb. I doubt I'll go back to qwerty.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I was all about the physical keyboard to the point that I almost passed on the droid x. I'm glad that I didn't,i love the keyboard on the x, swype is so much easier than multi tap, I don't know if I could ever go back
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

I am looking to package:

Craig Anderson / Daniel Alfredsson for an upgrade at wing. For exceptional wings, I'd be willing to switch St. Louis or Brad Richards.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

TheHammer24 wrote:I am looking to package:

Craig Anderson / Daniel Alfredsson for an upgrade at wing. For exceptional wings, I'd be willing to switch St. Louis or Brad Richards.
Alfredsson + Anderson + Droid 2

for

Droid Incredible + Droid X
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Kraftster wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:I am looking to package:

Alfredsson + Anderson + Droid 2

for

Droid Incredible + Droid X
Throw in a fourth rounder, please?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Got the 2.2 update this morning for my Moto Droid.

The one issue that I am having that the one App, Twidroyd, will not stop running. I kill it with the task killer, and then 2 minutes later it is telling me I have a new tweet, even though I have not re-opened the app since it was killed. Any suggestions?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Got the 2.2 update this morning for my Moto Droid.

The one issue that I am having that the one App, Twidroyd, will not stop running. I kill it with the task killer, and then 2 minutes later it is telling me I have a new tweet, even though I have not re-opened the app since it was killed. Any suggestions?
re-start the phone?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Got the 2.2 update this morning for my Moto Droid.

Do you have the app set to autosync? That probably is the issue.

I also got the update today. It changed my default SMS tone to Bad Mama Jama. It also deleted my Ringo Lite, but fortunately saved all my tone settings so it was an easy restore.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

I know some on here are bigger beer snobs than I am but I just wanted to let people know that i found 2 beer apps that you may find interesting:

Beer cloud &
Android Beer guide

enjoy
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Redbox app and Shopsavvy app. Big thumbs up. Free movies and cheap stuff.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Malkamaniac wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Looking at the Droid 2 last night and think I like it better than the X. (mainly for the qwerty keyboard, but also for size.) Any other comparisons of the two from you more tech-savvy guys?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/droi ... tember-30/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Anyone have any opinions on a good antitheft droid app?

thanks
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

stopper40 wrote:Anyone have any opinions on a good antitheft droid app?

thanks
Mobile Defense